1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women in Leadership (not as pastor, but in leadership)

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by mercy4all, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Are you saying it's okay for a woman to be a pastor if there are no men around and that justifies Selina Hastings being a pastor?

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

God's work is not only contingent upon men. It will move on whether or not men step up and take leadership. It is not the best, but God will use it.

There are loads of men in America who are "pastoring" but are not making disciples while the ladies are. While I would not call that pastoring but other might. I would just call it holding services with some preaching.

I truly believe we are beginning to see the church going by the wayside as we know it and coming aorund to be something it should be rather than a party/carnival atmosphere. I think in just a few years we will see the entertainment pastors holding entertainment while others are leaving those churches for other churches and parachurch organization to get some real help instead of sweet milk and empty words.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Thirty years ago, while we were without a pastor, I, as assistant moderator, appointed a committee to draft a church constitution and bylaws.

One of the women I asked declined because she felt that she would be usurping the authority of the men. She finally agreed to serve after I explained it to her this way:

"I am not appointing you to a position of leadership or authority. I am appointing you to a position of service. This is going to be hard work. You will join the others in doing what the church cannot effectively do for itself. It can't have several hundred doing the work you will be doing. You will not boss a single member around, and will have authority over no one. You are acting under the authority of the congregation, which will pass judgment on your work. "

This is the way I see most committee work in a congregation. Service, not authority. Whatever latitude the committee has to do its job is latitude given by the congregation. Whatever leadership is required of the committee chairman (chairwoman, chairperson, chairhuman, chairiindividual, Her Furnitureship, whatever) is the talent used for the smooth and effective operation of the committee.

My view is that whatever deacons, committees, etc., do, and whatever authority they exercise, is in relation to the congregation, not in relation to each other. A female committee chair may make some administrative decisions, but does so under the authority of the congregation--the same way a male chair would do it.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That is much the way we work here at our church. We absolutely have women serving the church and in more capacities than the piano player and secretary. But none are in authority over men, and none are in leadership over men.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In a couple of posts, including one of mine, I used the term "usurp authority." I got to thinking about it. If the congregation determines who will serve in various capacities, how can a woman usurp authority? Usurp means to take authority or rights from another without legal approval. How can that happen in a Baptist church without congregational approval?

Besides, if we all adopt a servant mentality, we won't have to worry about anybody bossing anybody else in the church.

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Amen and amen.

#67 Crabtownboy, Nov 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2009
  8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

However, it happens because of the position and because we're sinful. But it's not just "usurping authority" as in taking authority away but also exercising dominion over a man. Additionally, there is the statement that women are not to teach men. That together with the being in authority over men makes some clear lines.

9. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a pastor is a woman and as such a servent of God and her flock, how is it that she has dominion over a man or anyone. How does any pastor, male or female have dominion over others? Dominion in what way? Are we not all members of the body of Christ and all needed for it to function properly? Your proof text on men being taught by women must be taken in the context it was written where Paul was addressing a specific problem ... not giving a general counsel.

Priscilla taught a man.

#69 Crabtownboy, Nov 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2009
  10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Read Hebrews 13:17. Pastors are servants but are also authorities over their congregation.

Priscilla taught a man.[/QUOTE]

Priscilla taught a man alongside her husband outside of the church setting.

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Annsni, have you not been reading your ESV?

Romans 16:2
    that you may welcome her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints, and help her in whatever she may need from you, for she has been a patron of many and of myself as well.

Online Etymological Dictionary: patron comes from Latin pater "father" and means "a lord-master".

Strong's says the Greek word signifies "a woman set over others".

12. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the authority you are speaking of? How is it playedd out? I am not arguing. I have asked this question in other threads and have never received an answer that defined what this authority is or how it is used.

Alongside or not, it was still teaching a man. If two people teach alongside each other both are still teaching. We might call it co-teaching now. As far as church setting we do not know for sure. Churches at that time were located in people's homes. I expect they taught Apollo in their home. There is no way to prove this one way or the other.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I am also a woman set over others. I run a new mom's group and am considered the leader.

Do we know that this was a woman who was set over men?? I don't see that in the passage and since it is inconsistent with Paul's other teaching, and Scripture does not contradict itself, I'd say she was not in leadership over men.

Thayer's lexicon says:

[​IMG]

"caring for the affairs of others and aiding them with her resources is pretty self-explanatory.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The term in Strongs is described as:

1) to lead
    a) to go before
    b) to be a leader
    1) to rule, command
    2) to have authority over
    3) a prince, of regal power, governor, viceroy, chief, leading as respects influence, controlling in counsel, overseers or leaders of the churches
    4) used of any kind of leader, chief, commander
    5) the leader in speech, chief, spokesman
    2) to consider, deem, account, think"

Pastors have authority given to them by God and the congregation. They are the leaders of the church and make the decisions on the day to day and spiritual health of the church and the church members. They are the ones who will carry out church discipline, direct the teaching ministry, make decisions on the employees and such. I'm sure that exactly how things are carried out varies from church to church but we do not put everything we do in front of a committee or in front of the congregation.

Acts 18:26 "And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto [them], and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly."

He was teaching in the synagogue and apparently, the term "expounded" was not "teaching". They also showed no authority over him but instead "exposed" the way of God more perfectly. They are two different terms and Paul easily could have said that they "taught" him but there must have been SOME sort of difference to explain why he used a different term.

15. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what if this pastor has feet of clay. I have seen far too many pastors with feet of clay.

To rule and command ... I have no idea what you mean by this. These are abstract ideas. How do you see them played out?

What authority did God give them? To forgive my sins? To tell me what I must do or not do and I must obey? To say 'yes' to anything my pastor suggests? Does the pastor stand between me and God spiritually?

How is church discipline carried out by one person?

I am not arguing, but trying to understand what is being said.

Acts 18:26 "And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto [them], and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly."

He was teaching in the synagogue and apparently, the term "expounded" was not "teaching". They also showed no authority over him but instead "exposed" the way of God more perfectly. They are two different terms and Paul easily could have said that they "taught" him but there must have been SOME sort of difference to explain why he used a different term.[/QUOTE]

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's no reason to be disobedient to God but a good reason to find a new pastor.

No - not abstract ideas. Think of the head of a company, the head of a home. The pastor of a church is much the same. Yes, there will be some issues that are congregationally decided (in our church, that would be membership approval and the budget) but many other issues are not. Bottom line, the pastor is the leader of the church - the shepherd. Without a shepherd, there is no flock. The Bible tells us that the pastor is held accountable for his church - so he must be in some sort of leadership.

No pastor can forgive your sins - only God can do that. But a pastor absolutely will speak to members of the congregation as the shepherd to keep healthy his sheep. No, the pastor doesn't stand between you and God because only One does that - and that is Jesus Christ. But what is a pastor's job? To just read the Bible on Sunday morning? No - he is to lead the church under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Who starts it? Do you just go ahead and jump up in the church and accuse someone of something? That would be interesting on a Sunday morning.

Practically, in our church, we have 9 pastors and 2 pastoral interns. Most of what goes on in the church is dealt with amongst these pastors and not the congregation. We are not congregationally rules but elder ruled. The congregation will vote on new members once those new members have been "tested" by the pastors to see if they are qualified (must be believers and have received a believer's baptism either at our church or another church that does believer's baptisms) and they will vote on the budget. The pastors are in charge of most everything else from benevolence involvement (assisting the needy) to what programs we offer at our church to guiding the church in the path that they feel the Spirit moving. They watch for times of needing to step in on issues (such as finding out a young person who has worked with the youth was found drunk at a party that other students were at) and make sure that any problems are taken care of in a Biblical way (that the full steps of church discipline are followed). I do not blindly obey my pastors even as I don't blindly obey my husband. But I look at them as those who have been placed in authority over me and know that they are going to answer to God for what they've done - good or bad.

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Your point is well taken.

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I wish Paul the apostle would have made things clearer. Women in leadership? Yes!

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He did, as you can't be any more clearer than "husband of one wife" (unless you live in California or Maine :D)

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yet in many parts of the remaining 48 states, there is no shortage of male pastors who are unmarried, and there fore not a husband of one wife.

#80 Johnv, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2009