1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Word Study G5500, cheirotoneō

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had quoted from your very own last post. How then, can you say I am changing the subject? You have a bad habit using the "changing the subject" routine when your charge is baseless.
    Van, you are championing a lost cause. You are caught up in minutiae. The point is that elders were indeed appointed --period.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Discussing my supposed "bad habits" is changing the subject from biblical word study.

Leaving out of the translation the method of selection, by a show of hands, leaves out the full message of God.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am just calling you on your dishonesty Van.

You had said in post 38 that word studies are "completely objective." I begged to differ with your claim in post number 39. In post 40 you falsely said I had changed the subject.

Simply drop your bad habit and actually deal with what I am saying. Don't make things up as you usually do. Your "objectivity" is glaringly subjective.
    Your annoying habit of saying that your renderings are restoring "the full message of God" sounds cultish --like Joseph Smith's "Inspired Version of the Bible."

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thus Rippon said word studies are not completely objective, and I agreed with his obvious observation. No human assessment is completely objective.

But now he falsely claims I said the opposite. And then says I am dishonest. You have got to love them folks.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No false claims on my side. You said in post 36 that you are doing "objective and unbiased word studies." I disagree. Your "studies" are slanted with your very obvious agenda. I reject your pretentious claims that your renderings contain the "fully intended messages of God" as you constantly assert.

So your own words condemn you Van. Your dishonesty is on display.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here the idea is that if we do objective and unbiased word studied, we can grow more aware of God's Word. No claim was made that anyone's word study was totally unbiased or totally objective. Rippon twists and turns and misrepresents.

Liberals use the same tactics. Check out the DCCC fundraiser misrepresenting Rush.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had just quoted what you said in post 36 where you said you are doing "objective and unbiased word studies." Are you blind?

Van twists and turns more than Chubby Checker himself.

Your "word studies" are slanted with an obvious agenda.

I reject your pretentious claims that your renderings are the "fully intended messages of God" which you relentlessly assert.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More distortion and fabracation of strawman arguments.

1) We are to strive to do objective word studies, rather than redefine words to fit an agenda.

2) If we leave out part of the message contained in the Greek, i.e. the Elders were chosen by a show of hands, we do not present the full message of God.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I quoted your own words. No fabrication at all.
    Then you have failed because your bias is apparent.
    But your whole pupose is to "redefine words" Van. And to carry that out means you have an agenda.
    There you go again. "The full message of God" is not present in Bible translations. So you have taken it upon yourself to institute the real, fully-intended message of God to the masses of folks.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon makes charges, i.e. my bias is apparent, even though he seems unable to do word studies, so he is without a clue as to if the effort was objective or agenda driven.

I used the meanings found in the lexicons for each and every word studied. So yet another fabrication.

If you leave out that the Elders were chosen by a show of hands, you leave out the full message of God.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You stand guily as charged Van. Your "studies" are biased and agenda-driven. It's as plain as the nose on your face.

Your "full message of God" tagline has got to go. You are not qualified to be a translator merely armed with a lexicon. You have no training. You have no right to demean the authentic efforts of those who actually translate. What you really need to do is eat some humble pie. The trouble is that your pride will not allow it. ;-)

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please deal with the topic and not the person. Calling names doesn't help - SHOW where the post is in error so we may all learn.

THAT is civilized debate/discussion. Thank you.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here we have a compound word, literally meaning hand stretching. But the word is used to indicate taking a vote by a show of hands to select someone for something.

Acts 14:23, When they had appointed elders for them in every church, having prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord in whom they had believed.

Here, this rendering misses the information of how the elders were selected, i.e. by a show of hands, a vote of the members. A far more complete translation would read, When they had selected elders for them by a show of hands in every church, having prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord in whom they had believed.

2 Corinthians 8:19 and not only this, but he has also been appointed by the churches to travel with us in this gracious work, which is being administered by us for the glory of the Lord Himself, and to show our readiness,

Again the vote is obliterated in the rendering, whereas a literal translation would read, “but he has also been selected by a show of hands by the churches….”

Word Studies bring to light where versions hit the mark and where they miss the mark.
    The idea is not to quibble over this word or that word, but to bring to light that we can grow more aware of God’s Word by striving to do objective and unbiased word studies.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But all your favorite "literal translations" don't have your phrase. You get all tied up in knots with your literal quest.
    No, they do not. Thinking because you have access to a lexicon prepares you for translation is shortsighted.
    You can certainly strive, but you certainly have not done objective and unbiased word studies.

You look at an individual tree and think you can make a judgment call about the whole forest.

Or to use another analogy :word studies are like chiropractors. But you haven't been trained as an osteopathic physician. As a chiropractor you have limited value and dubious credentials. You don't know the full-orbed world yet. Your field is limited.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon does not seem to know how to do word studies but is sure they do not find where translations hit the mark or miss the mark. You have got to love them, folks.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I concur with the modification above.

17. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Concerning post and quotation NOT made by Van ^^

To falsely attribute a quotation to someone is lying and unacceptable. Infractions of the rules can lead to disqualification for posting on the BB. It is tantamount to lying. :(

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Word studies alone are not sufficient to determine whether or not translations hit or miss the mark. Furthermore, someone without a working knowlege of Greek posting word studies is pretentious. It is insultuing coming from someone without any training to trash the efforts of authentic scholars.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another Van bashing post, with nothing concerning the study of G5500.

Many schools and churches offer word study training, i.e. How to do word studies. Word studies help those not fluent in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek to dig deeper into God's inspired word.

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here we have a compound word, literally meaning hand stretching. But the word is used to indicate taking a vote by a show of hands to select someone for something.

Acts 14:23, When they had appointed elders for them in every church, having prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord in whom they had believed.

Here, this rendering misses the information of how the elders were selected, i.e. by a show of hands, a vote of the members. A far more complete translation would read, When they had selected elders for them by a show of hands in every church, having prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord in whom they had believed.

2 Corinthians 8:19 and not only this, but he has also been appointed by the churches to travel with us in this gracious work, which is being administered by us for the glory of the Lord Himself, and to show our readiness,

Again the vote is obliterated in the rendering, whereas a literal translation would read, “but he has also been selected by a show of hands by the churches….”

Word Studies bring to light where versions hit the mark and where they miss the mark.
    The idea is not to quibble over this word or that word, but to bring to light that we can grow more aware of God’s Word by doing objective and unbiased word studies.