1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

World Cup Matches

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Timsings, Jun 12, 2010.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Oh yes. That was a great show.

I don't think I have. There's no question in my mind that soccer players are great athletes. The question here is where do we think they should be slotted as overall athletes. It's an esoteric question I think, but it's helped me appreciate them more, and that's a good thing.

3. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

True, it is very difficult to access even across one sport, Running Back vs Wide Out, let alone across sports. IMO the most athletic are, in no order;

Basketball
    Soccer
    Olympic Decathalon
    Tennis (yes tennis)

I am sure there are others I am forgetting or just don't know about. I have never played Hockey but think it should probably be in the mix.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Anybody see that cheeky little goal South Korea just scored?

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saw it just before I headed to the office. Cheap goal. Very cheap goal. But it counts just as much as a beautiful goal. :)

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

7. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I am stuck at work and didn't get to see the game. Was it a function of Argentina playing great or SK playing poorly?

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Okay...I'll say it....We got robbed. Didn't look offsides to me.

Having 2 pts at this stage isn't life or death with the ENG tie, but still, you have to figure 3 draws aren't getting you into the next stage out of this group. Maybe Slovenia will defeat ENG and help us out.

9. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Robbed doesn't even begin to describe it.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Maybe a little of both - but I was really impressed with the Argentines.

Taking today basically off, only kind of following.

11. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Watched Ghana play today and wondered if they realize you are allowed to move the ball closer than 40 yards before you shoot it. Great players, no teamwork.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Reports are the ref who called the phantom foul/offsides/icing/traveling/stroke penalty/jaywalking/double-parking/plagarism/using double negatives will not be assigned again for the remainder of the World Cup. Bravo FIFA. I wish more could be done.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Call me a conspiracy theorist...I think this guy was either bought out beforehand, or some kind of "arrangement" was made.

A call that bad, on a world stage? Please. It was planned., IMHO.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was a horrible, horrible call.

As long as the U.S. beats Algeria they should still make it to the knock out rounds.

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I believe I heard someone say they heard a whistle before the ball was even struck on the free kick. But who knows.

16. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I never thought I would enjoy the meltdown of the French team as much as I have. Their loss to Mexico was the worst French capitulation since the Germans strolled across the Maginot Line.

After the French laid down against Mexico, I heard that French's Mustard made the following statement*: "We at the French's Company wish to put an end to statements that our product is manufactured in France. There is no relationship, nor has there ever been a relationship, between our mustard and the country of France. Indeed, our mustard is manufactured in Rochester, NY. The only thing we have in common is that we are both yellow".

Q. Why wouldn't the Statue of Liberty work in France?
    A. Because she has only one arm raised.

*may not be true

I watched a bit of the Cameroon/Denmark game. I wondered if either team knew that the object was to keep the ball away from the other, not continually pass it to them in their own zone. Though both teams were horrible on defense, it was an enjoyable game to watch. I'm still not sure how Denmark missed at least 2 goals shooting from Cameroon's doorstep.

17. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I always heard it another way:
    Q: How do you know the Statue of Liberty is from France?
    A: It just stands there doing nothing.

Q: Why did the French get rid of the Statue of Liberty?
    A: With one arm raised, they were afraid it might volunteer for service.

Q: Why did the French Army dismiss the Statue of Liberty?
    A: Because a torch is where the white flag is supposed to go.

I'm with you. This French team collapse serves them right. Ireland could not be reached for comment.

18. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I thought they could be reached for comment, but their comment was unprintable on a family message board. Either that, or they were too busy celebrating (drinking heavily) over the French team's collapse.

Three guys, an Englishman, a Frenchman and an American are out walking along the beach together one day. They come across a lantern and a genie pops out of it. "I will give you each one wish, " says the genie. The American says, "I am a farmer, my dad was a farmer, and my son will also farm. I want the land to be forever fertile in America." With a blink of the genie's eye, 'FOOM' - the land in America was forever made fertile for farming. The Frenchman was amazed, so he said, "I want a wall around France, so that no one can come into our precious country." Again, with a blink of the Genie's eye, 'POOF' - there was a huge wall around France. The Englishman asks, "I'm very curious. Please tell me more about this wall. The Genie explains, "Well, it's about 150 feet high, 50 feet thick and nothing can get in or out." The Englishman says, "Fill it up with water."

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I can tell you what Ireland are saying. They are overjoyed at France's collapse. One of the electronics shops is offering €100 refund on televisions bought in the last month when France goes out :)

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

With the meltdowns by the refs in the WC and in qualifying, will FIFA take any steps to improve the calling on the field?