1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would Billy Graham/Charles Stanley be MOST Famous Arminian baptists today?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JesusFan, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ditto. I think by "don't go there" he probably meant he wasn't going down that rabbit hole right there in the middle of his sermon.

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

All you heard was don't go there? But of course.

Here is what he said:

"The most important three words in this narrative are "Now I know" (this is Swindoll talking of God, then to the audience he says, as if they are saying:) "I thought God knew everything?" Swindoll says "Don't go there."

He is clearly denying omniscience in his statement. It's plain.

- Peace

3. mandym

mandym New Member

I have listened to the broadcast of Swindol where he has been falsely accused of implying God is not omiscient. The specific broadcast can be found here:

http://www.insightforliving.com/3/ArchiveplayerDonate.asp?id=1012255&date=1/4/2011

At 20:27Swindol is speaking of Abrahams obedience to God in Genesis 22 where he is about to slaughter Isaac. Swindol makes reference to verse 12 where God says "now I know". Swindol says and I quote

"The most important words in this narrative are these three words. Now I know. You say well I thought God knew everything? Don't go there. Now I know that you have your priorities straight.........."

His emphasis was on obedience and placing God before everything else. The obvious illustration was that Abraham placed God before his only son who was the utmost importance to him.

Never once does he say God is not omniscient. He simply quotes scripture and maintains the focus he intended.The message was about placing God first, not dealing with the omniscience of God.

4. preacher4truth

So omnisience is a rabbit hole? OK.

He deined it plainly. But, I knew you'd go this route. You have to be right, that's the most important thing.

- Peace

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No, that is not clear. You can't take one sentence and judge the man's whole theology and ministry on it. I will do my own research and dig into this deeper because I don't want to dismiss your claims. I want to be fair.

6. preacher4truth

Nice try. He in fact denied the omniscience of God, no matter the other focus he intends.

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I think you are reading into exactly what YOU want to hear, same as you are alleging of me.......Don't go there

8. mandym

mandym New Member

Shame on you

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That is absolutely not true and you know it. I am not that way. There is a person on this board that has to be right and I don't see you insulting him.

10. quantumfaith

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

11. preacher4truth

I never made the sentence, he did.

He clearly dismisses omniscience here. "I thought God knew everything?" Don't go there." He denies it.

But I will go on being the liar and take it patiently. He's not everything he's cracked up to be, but that right there is enough for me. I listen to what people say very intentively, and I listen to a lot of what people say, preachers, hours per day, and lectures and debates. It's part of my "job."

I'm just a preacher and this is what I do, I listen to truth and preach it. I felt bad when he said it, but he in fact did say it. False teaching? Yes. Teacher? Probably not. To be fair, we all say things we wish we could take back, if confronted, I would hope he would also.

- Peace

12. quantumfaith

Now this is entertaining. Now you imply that AmyG is making light of omniscience and charging Her with always having to be right. Please.

13. preacher4truth

So, I turned on my radio to enjoy him, to hear what I wanted to hear?

Not even close. I was very disappointed, to be honest.

He denied omniscience, plainly.

But you have an objective, Dave, as is seen above. :)

14. quantumfaith

Has ANYONE said, PFT you are a liar? I think at most that they may suggest that you "hear" the comment and attach a different meaning then they take away from it.

15. quantumfaith

No comment. Good Night

16. preacher4truth

No comment on the liar portion.

I'm not the only one who heard what he's said and had a problem with it, and my peace is not dependent upon any persons vindication, I don't need it, nor do I desire it.

:)

He denied it plainly.

It's hard for a persons pride to admit wrong when a person proves what they've said is not altogether false.

I'll leave you three to hash this out, my job is done with this thread.

- Peace

17. mandym

mandym New Member

Exactly! Glad to see you admit it. Very humble of you

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I think you're taking this too personally. :)

:saint:

19. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Would Billy Graham/Charles Stanley be MOST Famous Arminian baptists today?

I know very little about Billy Graham. But I thought until his family moved to western Carolina he went to a Presbyterian church and his wife was a Presbyterian till death. So I always believed he was Calvinist. With that said, I have never heard him preach and read only two of his books.

Charles Stanley isn't Arminian. He is what I would call a free grace dispensationalist. I have heard him preach many times and read a few of his books and I just don't see him from that view(Arminian).

20. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

dr stanley is my favorite bible teacher, been listening to him since geting saved...

just saying believe that he actually holds to that one CAN deny the faith, Apostise, but that God will still keep them saved despite that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.