1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would y'all worry about the Alpha Course?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nuck chorris, Mar 18, 2024.

1. nuck chorris

nuck chorris New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Alpha Course is a video series intended to introduce unbelievers to Christianity and encourages them to bring their questions.

My concerns lie in a few areas. The creator does not believe in Hell, from what I've read online. This seems to make it go light on sin and refer to it mainly as "that bad stuff we've done".

Many of the videos contain interviews with Roman Catholic priests, bishops, or cardinals. The Alpha Course can be run as "protestant" or "catholic". For the catholic mode there is a final video that is left out of the protestant videos. This seems concerning in that all the other videos are in common and acceptable, and it only takes another 30 minutes to tack the catholic part on.

It is a very friendly tone with well produced videos and has some accurate doctrine in some areas, but room for improvement in others.

What would you think if your church used this material?

Thanks!

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church uses scripture.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm on the Alpha and Omega course and according to scripture someone left out the most important part:eek:... Brother Glen:)

Revelation 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God bless :Thumbsup

• Like Like x 1
  5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah... The Lord gives me the wit!... Without him, I'm half... Brother Glen;)

6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No way in the world would our church use this, or would I personally use it or recommend it. It compromises the truths of the Word for God.
    1. No Hell? Then there is no need for Jesus dying on the cross.
    2. Catholic compromise: It is a false religion, requiring works (various ceremonies) for salvation, and adding Purgatory to the Bible.
    3. If sin is not completely evil, we don't need to be saved from it.

I'd say not just "room for improvement," but rank heresy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've searched a bit but can't find answers to my questions. You seem to have some information, so maybe you can assist:

(1) Who is the founder?
    (2) Does the Alpha Course exclusively represent the founder's viewpoints, or does it represent the essential Christian beliefs of the broader Christian community?
    (3) Where do you get the idea that the creator "does not believe in Hell?"
    (4) What does the statement, "does not believe in Hell" mean? Does it mean that he does not believe in final judgment at the end of the age that in some cases leads to the "second death," or does it simply mean that the creator does not believe the Bible teaches eternal conscious torment for those who oppose God?