1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you allow evolutionists to teach Sunday School?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by BobRyan, Nov 13, 2004.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Though I have denounced the junk science and poor-religion that constitutes evolutionism, I readily admit that there are Christians who swallow that system of mythology and those who see it for the Gospel-destroying faith-based-initiative that it is.

My question is for all groups of Christians on this board.

Whether you believe in evolutionism or not - would you allow believers in evolutionism to teach Sunday school at your church? To teach new converts? To teach your own children's classes?

Would you confine them to just teaching mature Christians as a test of their beliefs in the Bible and to challenge them?

Would you not let them teach at all?

If you really believe that evolution and God's view of origins don't matter to the Gospel - then it would not matter which one they believe as long as they only teach about the Gospel - right?

How do you vote? Let your voice be heard - your post be read.

In Christ,

Bob

2. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

I wouldn't allow anyone to teach the Bible who doesn't believe it.

"In the begining God created..."

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you read about Keil and Delitzsch you will come to realize it was the Christians who sought to kill them because they stood for "God created" rather than what many of the Christians who stood for evolution believed. In Germany it was also the Christians who supported Hitler running on an economic platform.

If you don't teach the Bible then you just teach theory. They must teach the Bible or don't teach at all.

5. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Not many pure evolutionists can be found in conservative baptist churches really.

There are many who many believe parts of evolution or believe something other than a literal 6 day creation. I certainly don't see how a good Christian man or woman with sound fundamental beliefs could not still lead a Sunday school class despite believing in a nonliteral Genesis.

6. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Charles You are a wonderful example of Christ. God bless you brother. Your words are always non condemning, uplifting, I've been reading your replies and I wanted to acknowledge you as a blessing especially to me. Thank you.

Seth3

7. Charles Meadows

Thank you for the kind words Seth!

More than anything I want my life to be a good testimony for Christ. I only wish I were better at it!! Don't we all! [​IMG]

8. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Your welcome, just taking note of what I see in you which is commendable. What I might add very rare, you definately shine in the Lord.

Its not too hard to see a star in a dark world, they shine brightest in it. Sometimes its good to know that others see what manifests itself openly and who is seeing it.

God bless you my brother I see the Lord in the singleness of your eye and your light shines. [​IMG]

Seth3

9. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, you have given two qualifiers which are quite debateable. "Good" and "sound fundamental beliefs". Many would argue that a Christian without an understanding of a literal six day Creation are not "sound" in fundamental beliefs. And "good" has quite a broad definition among Christians.

I see two problems with promoting anything but six days of creation. One, the scripture clearly states what a day is and if you ignore this then why not ignore any other scripture which sounds extrodonary? Two, can anyone explain how a literal six days is impossible with God? To teach a non-literal creation is to cast doubt on the written word of God and the power of God.

God Bless! [​IMG]

10. Pete

Pete New Member

Mum and self teach childrens' Sunday school. The children are taught evolution at school, however we teach them God's truth. We have been using Trevor McIlwain's Firm Foundations—Creation to Christ series.

So that's a big "NO" from Down Under [​IMG]

11. aefting

aefting New Member

We have 6-day ex nihilo creation written into our church doctrinal statement. Our teachers would be expected to believe and teach in harmony with our doctrinal statement.

Andy

12. Charles Meadows

We might be a little more specific about things here.

If the doctrine of the church is 6 day literal creation then the teachers should teach this. Obviously not every church member believes EVERYTHING alike. If one has significant differences with a church perhaps he/she should look for a church that has more compatible beliefs.

13. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I don't see why anyone would send their kids to school for hours daily and then deny an evolutionist for an hour of Sunday School.
    You either have a big enough problem with evolution that you find ways around it, or you decide it's not an important enough issue to you to bother with.
    Ya gotta be consistent, or you're gonna either be a fake or miserable with your choices.
    Gina

14. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

I do not think that those beliefs alone (surprise! ;) ) should be enough to disqualify someone.

However if, as some above have mentioned, your church makes a six day creation part of its doctrinal statement, then anyone who teaches should be expected to comply with this. If an old earther cannot agree in that case then it would be best if they not teach. If they can agree to teach what the church requests, then there should not be a problem. While I personally would be opposed to teaching YE I realize that as a Baptist I am in the minority on this issue. Sunday School would not be the place to rock that boat. I prefer to keep such discussions to places such as this and do not make a lot of noise in areas where it would be more decisive. Here you can chose to participate or not. Raising a stink at church could do more harm than good.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

YEC = 4,000 B.C.
    0EC = 10,000 B.C. [​IMG]

DHK

16. Pete

Pete New Member

DHK, [​IMG] ! [​IMG] ! [​IMG]

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now you're talking!

And then of course there is

Evolutionists - 4 Billion B.C.

In Christ,

Bob

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am pretty much amazed that there is such complete agreement here. The common ground rule is "IF your church doctrinal statement is full acceptance of the Ex 20:8-11, Gen 1-2:3 7 day creation week - then evolutionism can not be taught AND an evolutionist can not teach Sunday school".

However, think about that - when you say that an evolutionist can not teach Sunday school (even if not teaching about evolution?) is it because evolutionism has a direct bearing on teaching about Christ as the Gospel's (John 1) Creator?

Is it because evolutionism has a direct bearing on the teaching of the fall of man?

Is it because evolutionism has a direct bearing on the doctrines about the character and nature of God in creating all things "good" and sin coming into that picture with sickness, death, destruction, carnage, starvation, extinction, slaughter?

In other words - are you saying you are opposed to an evolutionist "teaching" the full gospel message about God, the fall of man, the restoration-redemption back to a New Earth?

In Christ,

Bob

19. A_Christian

A_Christian New Member

Not in the church I attend. He would teach what he doesn't believe fully to be the truth and would reduce himself to the level of a hypocrite. This would send out the wrong signals to students that reality is only what we want it to be.

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To honestly teach a Bible class you must honestly accept the Bible without using as your "exegesis" the model of "whatever the atheist evolutionists need the Bible to say to be consistent with atheist evolutionism's view of orgins - is what the Bible really means".

In Christ,

Bob