1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Would you consider joining this "church?"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, Nov 10, 2013.

1. thisnumbersdisconnected

I didn't have to start it in v. 16, because I acknowledged them thusly:

And you still can't show me where God actually "spit" the Laodicean church "out of His mouth" and you can't explain why a church He supposedly forsook was given recourse for repentance. And again, we don't know if the church repented or not, but since Jesus says, "Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline," it is likely He did not, especially since, despite your attempt to disqualify the meaning of the word ...

... His threat is not stated in the emphatic, but in the future middle tense. The irony of that is that the middle voice is indicative of an action the subject -- in the case of this passage, the Laodicean church -- takes upon itself. The Greek word translated "will" in v. 16 is the Greek mello which actually does mean the equivalent of the NIV's "I am about to": It means to be on the verge of taking action.

So, we're done here. Though you won't admit it, your argument is negated.​

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Nice, aged man! It took a second to get your point, but then I kept coming back to it throughout the day in my mind, thinking about how fitting it was for so many churches in the United States today. Eke! I've said to people before that churches can be considered a mission field half the time and I still believe that to be true, perhaps more than half the time.

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone read this book by David F. Wells ?

No Place for Truth, or What Ever Happened to Evangelical Theology?

Here is a short quote that would pertain to the OP:

The issue is that theology once pervaded everything that was taught, but now it no longer does; theology was once considered essential to the doing of ministry, but now it no longer is; seminaries were once determined by that theology, but now they no longer are. Now, the great preponderance of faculty, even in evangelical seminaries, think little of theology, work little with it, and shrug off its importance in their own field . (pg 243) (taken from here: Founders Ministries Review)

This book was the catalyst for starting the Cambridge Declaration, and less the BB folks think this is only for the reformed, or for those of Lutheran, Presbyterian... churches, "Founders Ministries" is "Committed to the historic Baptists principles."

In the OP, It asks, "Would you join a church..."

I wonder if some (of course none on the BB) are not already part of a church that has moved away from the theology of the Scriptures and embracing whatever is fanciful.

Those who have studied through this book, would it be appropriate to see some reflections from it brought to this thread as it would apply to being on guard and discerning perhaps exploring the modernist trend?

For the record, I have NOT read the book, and if it is not as the reviews would indicate, I would like for that to be included, too.