1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wright: 'Black Evangelism' Produces 'Religion of Hatred'

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ......In response to Wright's criticism of "Black Evangelism," the Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson, president and founder of Brotherhood of a New Destiny (BOND), told Cybercast News Service: "Barack Obama said that Rev. Wright brought him to Christ, but how can a man of hate bring you to the Prince of Peace?"

"I cannot see how this man could bring anyone to Christ when his sermons and writings indicate that he hates Christianity," Peterson said.

The Rev. Clenard H. Childress Jr., senior pastor at New Calvary Baptist Church in Montclair, New Jersey and president of the Life Education and Resource Network, also responded to Wright's criticism of "Black Evangelism."

"To watch Obama and certain news commentators attempt to justify Wright's message is disturbing," said Childress. "They all give the impression that the Black Church speaks some cryptic ethnic language that you have to be Afro-American to understand. It's ridiculous!".......

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=/Culture/archive/200804/CUL20080402d.html

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obama's long term relationship with his racist pastor will just not go away...

despite the protestations of his apologists and deniers.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The apostle Paul stated in the New Testament that there were people who preached based on wrong motives but that he was still glad that they preached.

4. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Ken, I think it's important to examine the Biblical meaning of the scripture which you've reference:

Philippians 1:15-18 "Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will: The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds: But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel. What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice."

Paul stated he was happy that Christ was preached regardless of the motive. Note that he was addressing the preaching of "Christ" by either the motive of "contention" or of "love". He in no way condoned preaching the wrong message or any gospel other than that of Christ. He was just okay with Christ being preached because He was glorified by it regardless of man's motives. Once again it turns out not to be about man but rather about Christ.

The problem with Wright's preaching is that the message is a black man-centered "theology" instead of a Christ-centered theology or, if you prefer, a social "gospel" instead of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    However, it was Pastor Wright's preaching that was used to bring Barack Obama to Christ Jesus in repentance and faith.

6. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Only the Holy Spirit moves upon a sinner's heart to cause them to come to Christ without which they would not even have a desire to do so. When a man gives credit to another man for bringing him to such salvation, or when the other man does not loudly protest if he does, then it is credit taken away from the rightful provider. This may be unintentional on the part of Obama, doesn't mean his salvation is not authentic, and doesn't mean there are not many true believers among the members of his church - only the Lord knows those things for certain - but it is another sign to us of the weakness in the man-centered "theology" being taught by Wright's hate filled preaching. I don't think it's appropriate to equate Wright's preaching - at least not the examples we've seen in his demonstrations - to that Paul wrote about in Philippians.

#6 Dragoon68, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2008
  7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So it's said.

Yet...

"I cannot see how this man could bring anyone to Christ when his sermons and writings indicate that he hates Christianity," Peterson said."

#7 carpro, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2008