1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Writing and Exercise

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Guido, Feb 25, 2024.

1. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A long while, I have struggled to write abundantly and skillfully, and for decent lengths of time, because, I think, I've not listened carefully to the way my language sounds, and also because I've been getting so little exercise.

I think that, if I exercised more, my brain would function better, and I would have more self-discipline to write. I would also be able to read my Bible more, pray more, and meditate on God more. Probably then I would start to obey God's Law better. However, I do not understand why the Bible says, "Bodily exercise profitteth little."

Since I lack self-discipline, I've not been writing much at all. In the past two or three years I have written almost nothing except forum posts. I've been writing very infrequently. I have also been hearing voice saying that I am illiterate. The voices sound very stupid. They are also saying I am slow. I do not understand why they say I am slow when I read very fast and understand very fast except when reading sophisticated language. My problem is simply retention. It's not comprehension. As for the verse, I know that it is saying physical exercise provides little benefit, but if it leads to godliness, how is that a small benefit?

When I wrote the second paragraph, I stopped attending to how my language sounded. I struggle with laziness and cognitive inability. I think this is simply due to lack of optimal nutrition and mostly exercise.

#1 Guido, Feb 25, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
  2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't understand because you didn't quote it in context. The Bible isn't saying don't exercise because it won't profit anything.

Here's the WHOLE sentence. 1 Timothy 4:8. "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come."

It is NOT saying don't exercise. Nor is it saying exercise is pointeless.

It is comparing two things. Physical training and spiritual training.

Paul is saying in the verse before that for Timothy to 'train" himself to be Godly.

Then he says that physical training will produce a little, but NOT compared to spiritual training.

Our bodies belong to the LORD and we should take care of them. He says physical training DOES profit, just not as much as spiritual training.

Our souls will live for eternity and our spiritual training is more important. Don't neglect the physical training, just don't put it above spiititual training.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m going to offer some blunt advice. Please take it with brotherly love.

I read a lot of what you post, but rarely comment. My observation is that you are consumed with yourself. You are consumed with what other people think of you or what you write.

Turn your focus toward God. Be consumed with knowing Jesus. Be consumed in your relationship with God.

“The cares of this life will grow strangely dim…”

I wish you well

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cathode

Cathode Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would add, focus on other people’s needs, serve God in others.

Go to bed early after writing down everything you must do the next day, Get up early, and do an hours prayer and meditation on Jesus from scripture.

Don’t stop working all day, work hard and pray as you work. Be useful, really involve yourself.

Read comprehensively, read Hemingway and use his economy with words if want learn how to write.
    Write how you normally write, then see if you can say the same thing with less words. Cut it to the bone.

Do all the things you hate doing, put yourself in danger and suffering, on others behalf. If you survive, you will have built character and knowledge and you may even become an interesting person.

• Useful Useful x 1