1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WWE Superstar and Family Found Dead

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Jun 25, 2007.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Very sad story. :tear:

June 25, 2007
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
    FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. -- WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and son were found dead Monday and police said they were investigating the deaths as a homicide.
    Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department said the three were found at their home about 2:30 p.m., but refused to release details.
    Pope said results of autopsies on Benoit, his wife Nancy and 7-year-old son Daniel were expected Tuesday.
    Benoit, 40, was a former world heavyweight champion, intercontinental champion and held several tag-team titles over his career.
    "WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family's relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy," the federation said in a statement on its website.
    Benoit was scheduled to perform at the Vengeance pay-per-view event Sunday night in Houston, but was replaced at the last minute because of what announcer Jim Ross called "personal reasons."
    Benoit, a Canadian native, maintained a home in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the defunct World Championship Wrestling.
    The WWE canceled its live Monday Night Raw card in Corpus Christi, Texas, and the USA Network aired a three-hour tribute to Benoit in place of the scheduled wrestling telecast.
    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2006-2007, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    [/FONT]

#1 PastorSBC1303, Jun 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2007
  2. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I heard about it this evening. I didn't realize he lived in Fayetteville. I have many family members that live there.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Extraordinarily sad. His wife used to live in my town.

4. Gayla

Gayla New Member

5. PastorSBC1303

wow, thanks for the update

6. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Before I was saved (2001) I was a HUGE wrestling fan and I loved Chris Benoit. I was absolutely stunned this morning when my husband told me about this. I know this will be very hard on his other children and his wrestling family. So very sad....

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Never would have guessed you once liked the WWE :D

After hearing about this, I was saddened at first...but then became angry that Benoit would do such a selfish thing as kill his own son and wife. For as tough as he tried to act in the ring, the man is a coward in life, and will most likely pay a terrible price for it in death.

My only hope is the fact that with all of the matches he had with Eddie Guerero (who was a Christian), and all the time they spent together practicing, something got through to him at some point in his life.

8. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

It is not right to call Mr Benoit a coward in death. It has not been proven yet that he killed his wife, child and himself.

The sheriff said that was a possibility, but he also said it could be a triple homicide.

Don't pass judgment until judgment is due.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You're right...it hasn't been cofirmed yet. I should have stated that when it is confirmed, as that will most likely be the finding (the wife and son were killed over the weekend...Benoit dies Monday)

10. PastorSBC1303

I haven't watched wrestling in a long time. However, when I was a boy it was one of the things my father and I did all the time. I grew up watching the 4 horsemen, Sting, Lex Luger, Hulk Hogan, Brett Hart, etc. Because of that I do keep an eye out on what takes place.

11. PastorSBC1303

The reports are saying that Benoit strangled his wife, smothered his son and hanged himself.:tear:

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It was reported today he did kill them. He strangled his wife after binding her hands and feet...suffocated his 7 year old son, and then a day later, hung himself from one of his exercise machines and cable. I find it odd that he also placed a Bible next to their bodies. He is a coward for murdering his family. If he wanted to end his own life, that's one thing, but to murder your wife and son is a hideous, cowardly act.

13. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder how WWE is going to handle the situation. They did a 3 hour tribute to a murderer.

14. PastorSBC1303

Good question stefan....

Taking one's own life is a horrible thing, but I just cannot imagine how sick a person would have to be to strangle their spouse and then kill their 7 yr old. I have a 7yr old, and I just cannot imagine the horror that little boy had to go through wondering what in the world Daddy was doing...

15. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Reading the details of this just breaks my heart. My view of Chris Benoit has certainly changed!!!

16. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

I am still not convinced that it was murder/suicide. Chris' driver spoke as if the couple was the happiest people he knew.'

Chris' neighbor did not think Chris would do such.

It is strange that he would kill his wife one day, his son another day, and himself another day.

I still think foul play is involved.

17. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is even more strange to think that an outside person would kill the woman one day, the boy another day, and the man another day.

18. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

Not necessarily. If they were locked up in different rooms it could be possible.

If someone wanted it to look like murder/suicide, it could be possible.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He was supposed to wrestle at Satureday's "Vengeance"...but called the WWE to tell them he had a "family emergency". Based on some text messages he sent after that to the WWE, and the day after, the WWE became concerned, and called the sherriff's to have them check on Benoit. That's when they found the bodies. There is no way this was an outside job.

20. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

I thought the sheriff said Chris had been called home for an emergency. It is possible someone else could have made his wife place that call, or possibly made the call themselves.

She managed wrestlers, so she could have let someone in unsuspecting while he was away.

Another thing, why text messages? Why not straight phone calls?