1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured You bully!!!!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I will defer to John here if he wants to correct my post. But, while a relative of Ip Man is in our lineage, and our art has some things in common with Wing Chun, our art is based more off the teachings of Daniel K Pai and White Dragon style. Especially my personal teaching.

My daughters haven't had to deal with bullies yet. I have been teaching them some basic martial arts skills, so that when the day comes they can stand up for themselves, or for others who need it.

2. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

They need to learn how to scrap. Learn grappling. Heavybag was THE turning point in my training...it brought everything together so I could hit and hit HARD. Then I sparred. My JKD instructor is a devout Christian....meeting him was no accident! God used that man to help turn this backsliding man around.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Har har! :tongue3:

Actually, I taught him Pai Lum in those days, but for a short while taught him and another missionary kid Wing Chun--the first form, Siu Lum, and some principles.

That's terrible. And proof that even kids have the sin nature. We are born with it.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The heavy bag is great. Costs some cash, then you have to have a place to put it, but important training.
    Great to hear!

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, jkdbuck is enamored of the fact that during our 1986 furlough from Japan I trained under Prof. Cravens for 6 months or so in Wing Chun in Chattanooga, TN, where he was based at the time. This was after his Pai Lum era and before his Chen Tai Chi era. That man has mastered so many Chinese styles it's just incredible.

The lineage of Prof. Cravens' Wing Chun is from Ip Man through his nephew in Taiwan, Lo Man Kam, to Chris Casey, to Prof. Cravens.
    Let me know if you would like a PDF of my pamphlet published by the GMAU, A Christian Philosophy of Self Defense. It might be a help with your girls. :thumbsup:

6. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Talk about a tread morphing from bullying to martial arts.....

7. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Yes, apologies to EWF, I believe he's talking about a different type of bullying than most of our responses have been about.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apologies. But then I never quite figured out the OP anyway. Sounds like a personal or family problem rather than a debate for the BB. (Just sayin'.)

9. sag38

sag38 Active Member

No apologies needed. I just thought it was funny. This happens a lot around here.