1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your Family is $510,678 Deeper in Debt Than You Thought

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, May 25, 2006.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Well, your ideas are better than mine, because I wouldnt know where to start. Adding more people to a failed system would probably not work. Also, for those near retirement (say 50+), there is not much that can be done.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Markets go up. Markets go down. That's why an investor needs to diversify, diversify, diversify; keep a balanced portfolio; and not look for a quick buck in a week's time. Always remember the story of the tortoise and the hare. Investing with a decently long time horizon is superior to looking for a quick killing in the market.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Ken,
    I think the subject came up of near retirement age. For instance, like the 401K I explained to you, if you have one or two years left, you have to be very careful about market down swings. Sometimes market swings last longer than a person has left to retirement. If you have 5 or more years left, its much better. Scott got onto the idea of investing in place of social security, which would be a good idea for those not near retirement, say 50 and below. Even government treasury rates of 5% are better than social security. For those about to collect it, it will never change.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone near retirement should not have anywhere near most of his retirements funds in riskier investments such as stocks, commodities, etc. - unless he has proven to be well skilled in investments and has plenty of assets to fall back on in case an
    investment(s) goes bad.

By the way, I am 50 years old and I would love to be able to invest some or all of my social security tax and have my social security check that I receive when I retire, the Lord willing, in 17 years and 5 days reduced by the amount of the tax I invested.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

17 years (and 5 days?) is plenty of time to invest. With less than two years to go (with the US govt), mine is a conservative mix. I plan to work about as long as you do, just not there. Right now the mix is 48% government securities (about 5% return), 7% bond fund mix, 24% fund that reflects the S and P 500, (not doing so hot),6% small caps fund (wilshire 4500), and 15% international stock fund (EFA). These are set by a firm hired to give the best return for the least risk dependent on age. As you said before, they get more conservative as time goes on.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Five days? Yes, five days. Upon graduation from college I started work on June 1, 1978. The Lord willing, come June 1, 2023 I plan on being retired. Thus, my last day of work would be May 31, 2023. [​IMG]

I mainly invest in Fidelity mutual funds using analysis from a newsletter that specializes in Fidelity Funds.