1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your Seminary Recommendation

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by StefanM, Jul 31, 2005.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Jimmy, you may be right. I've probably chased some rabbits. But as a moderator, I'm committed to seeing our precious bandwidth conserved to keep it from being pillaged with the same old same old. I get tired of people turning every argument into KJV vs New Translations, SBC resurgence, Calvinism vs. Arminianism, etc.

2. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Tom

You do a good job - I was just giving it to you a little!

3. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

Really? You've had trouble telling the differences in the SBC?
    No doubt that rejection of inerrancy makes one a liberal. It also makes one no longer an evangelical (if that label matters to some).
    some
    </font>[/QUOTE]The National Association of Evangelicals would have a much smaller membership if you were running the show. While I probably share your position on Inerrancy, you exclude a lot of people including some soul winners from Nazarene Churches, Methodists, Presbyterians,Lutherans and CBF churches who may very well be conservative in every other area of doctrine when you say inerrancy is one of the essentials to be evangelical. I'd agree that it is an essential of Fundamentalism, but not Evangelicalism. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Inerrancy is considered foundational for membership in the Evangelical Theological Society.....so I guess I am not the only one who views it as an essential of "evangelical".

ETS

BTW, I consider inerrancy much more crucial than just to latch on to some label.

BTW pt.2, being a "soulwinner" does not mean that one believes correctly...nor does it mean that one is winning souls to the true God (ie -Mormons). I think right doctrine is a better sign of faithfulness than this notion of "they win souls, they must be ok".

4. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I know I've been one of the chief culprits of this highjacking, but I'd like to make one last comment, if I may.

Good point about the Mormons and "soul winning." I can't argue with you. I'm sure you're right about the ETS, but the NAE doesn't quite see it that way. They use the words "infallibility and plenary authority of scripture" rather than inerrancy. (BTW, again I personally believe in inerrancy. I just think it's a bit too narrow to call everyone "liberal" who does not). I promise I'll stop highjacking now.

http://www.nae.net/index.cfm?FUSEACTION=nae.values

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

My Seminary Recommendation

For preaching:
    Geneva Reformed Seminary
    NOBTS

6. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Select one of any "TR" Seminaries.

Avoid any "W/H" Seminaries.

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

:rolleyes:

Glad you give such helpful advice...

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

I am Southern Baptist, so the recommendations for SBTS do weigh heavily in my seminary search.

How hard is Calvinism pushed there? I recogize that the school is thoroughly Calvinist, but is the enviroment willing to tolerate a non-Calvinist like me?

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I did not do my MDiv work at Southern...but I am in the middle of the DMin program at Southern. I have taken 4 classes and I have yet to experience Calvinism being pushed in any way. I would recommend Southern for a Calvinist or a Non-Calvinist.

10. Broadus

Broadus Member

Stefan,

I did an MDiv (1998) and PhD in Church History (2003) at SBTS. Calvinism is not at all "pushed." Some students are strongly Calvinistic and others are not. The seminary's agenda is not to push Calvinism. Rather, it is to train ministers to be submissive to the Word of God and direct their ministries in that manner to the glory of God.

That said, no one is apologizing about being a Calvinist. It is recognized on campus that the heritage of the SBC is strongly Calvinistic.

I highly commend SBTS to you, especially the School of Theology.

Blessings,
    Bill

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Southwestern for a general (broad) theological education or missions.