1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Your single most important doctrine...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Rebel, Feb 8, 2015.

1. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

EWF - Depends on what you mean by "review" the church. We have a Church Covenant, as most churches do. But we don't have a printed out statement of faith. We don't have a website, so we wouldn't have one there, either.

Every preacher, deacon, and elder, I firmly believe, stands ready to give defense of the faith that is within us, which amounts greatly to what we stand for. We're just a small little backwoods church. I guess for my own idea, I think of the Bible as my statement of faith. (And yes, I realize that sounds awfully cliche.)

2. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

We are delivered from physical death in one sense, in that we have the promise of resurrection.

As for the atonement, there are ways of viewing that other than what has been taught in the RCC or Protestantism, thank God.

#42 Rebel, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
  3. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Let me follow up with another question after my OP. Does your most important doctrine determine where you go to church or what denomination you are a part of?

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both cliche and vague! Why is that do you think?!?

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope. I'm not going to die for my sins because Jesus paid the price for them. I have life everlasting promised to me based on what HE did, not what I did.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats an excellent question.....my answer to it is yes.

For example I wrote to 3 churches last month and specifically detailed my beliefs (5 points, amill, partial preteorist etc) and I got no responses back.

A PCA church in the area indicated that they believe in the doctrines but I wouldn't find them preached discussed or taught in the church.

7. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I can, in a way, see where they are coming from, even though I don't totally agree with them. My church is amil and, mostly, partial-preterist, but it's not like our Pastor gets up and says, "alright, it's now time to discuss our eschatological views." No, he just gets up and preaches the gospel message that God lays on his heart. If it includes an eschatological bend, then so be it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say those things would never be mentioned at all, but I would be wary of a church who felt it necessary to state their doctrinal views every time.

8. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

My point is, you're still going to die, so how can Jesus' death mean what the RCC and evangelical Protestantism say it means?

9. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Wow, amazing! I wonder why not??

10. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

The Bible makes it clear that it is appointed unto man once to die. Regardless your take on this verse (pertaining to spiritual or physical death) we still have to lay down this natural body, as it is corrupted and sin-stained and cannot stand in the presence of Almighty God. Christ's atoning death on the cross did not secure for us eternal life in this present physical body. It granted us eternal spiritual life in His presence, in an incorruptible body that Paul told the Corinthians we would put on at the Second Coming.

11. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Tony, of course I agree with what you said.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What do the RCC and evangelical Protestantism say it means?

13. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We die physically because of the sin of Adam, our federal head. Since we are unable to atone for our own sin physical death is perpetuated by the human race.

Romans 5:12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned--

14. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not that much of a difference of opinion. Most theologians in Protestantism translate the koine as propitiation.

15. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please do not tell me you are going to the "bloodless atonement" or Christus Victor route.

16. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

The main view of the RCC is Anselm's satisfaction of divine justice theory. The main view of evangelical Protestantism has been penal substitution.

17. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I'll quote what I said earlier this morning in another thread: "Oh, and just let me state for the record that my views of the atonement encompass all the views held by the earliest churches, that is, the Ransom view, the Recapitulation view, Christus Victor, and to a degree the moral influence view, although the latter was not fully formulated until Peter Abelard, and I do find it to be sort of an incomplete theory. I do not hold to any of the views that came much later in the history of the church, particularly those originating in the western churches, whether RC or Protestant. "

18. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

That was my worry when I started reading up on Christus Victor. Seemed to be a bit of a lean toward bloodless atonement, which is certainly not scriptural.

19. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I sometimes think I should be Eastern Orthodox, except I don't believe in infant baptism, baptismal regeneration, an ever-virgin Mary, celibacy of bishops, their view of apostolic succession. But I do hold to their views of man, original sin, salvation, atonement. I don't know of any Western bodies which do, except for some early Mennonites and Anabaptists, and a few modern ones.

I continue to hold to Baptist principles, but I don't know any Baptist bodies who believe as I do on the doctrines I listed above.

20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the true Gospel?