1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Youth Ministry; Man Created not Biblically Mandated

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by T Alan, Dec 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Could someone here please give me the Scriptural basis for ministering to people by age group?

It seems that this is a method that attempts to mimic the teaching model established by public School systems.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only thing I can think of is women being permitted to teach other women and children. That would imply a division....if this is what you mean. Other than that, perhaps ministering to the needs of the group. Teenagers and the middle aged have different issues and needs, so I suppose that could be supported in the idea of discipleship.

I don't mind bible studies, but I think that all should attend the worship service as one family.

#2 JonC, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2014
  3. T Alan

T Alan New Member

:applause: Long time no see, we agree!

4. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Ah ha. Very Good. I've not encountered this one yet.. True.

5. T Alan

T Alan New Member

During WW 1, The church stepped up to be "daddy and mommy" as the men were at war and mothers went out of the house to work. If blossomed form there. Agree or disagree?

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

I neither agree or disagree, I have not heard that before. Interesting.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sunday School originally began in England in the 19th century.

In the US SS also used as Evangelism.
    Studies do indicate that where Sunday Schools are thriving and growing, church membership increases

As far as so many men had went to war in WWI - a much higher % of men served in WW II

War............US Population Men in Military
    WWI...........100 million...........4.5 million
    WWII..........140 million..........16.o million

I believe that graded SS is an excellent ideal.
    As stated before, by JonC "Teenagers and the middle aged have different issues and needs,"

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The title says:
    Youth Ministry; Man Created not Biblically Mandated

Replace Youth ministry with:
    Electricity
    Musical instruments,
    Church committees
    Preaching out of the New Testament

Bottom Line " "Not Biblically mandated"
    and that is true not only about the youth ministry, but the other items listed above. But on the other hand, neither are they Biblically PROHIBITED!

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with Salty - there are a LOT of things that we have in church that are man created and not Biblically mandated but we do them because they are good ideas. A well run youth group is an encouragement to the believing youth and a way for the mature believers to feed into and mentor younger believers. It's a place where the strong Christian youth can be an example to those who are less mature in their faith and it can be a good, safe place for youth - believers and unbelievers - to do some life together.

I am still dear friends with many of the kids I was in youth group with. Some have walked away from the Lord (or they were never actually walking with Him but were "acting the part" - I don't know) but many are in ministry today. Many of my older friends were those I looked up to and who taught me more how to be a strong believer in the face of opposition in school. I also met my husband in youth ministry back in 1979 and we've now been married 30 years this coming June.

I have seen good youth groups and I have seen bad ones. The good ones have a few things in common: 1 - Leadership who are strong in their own faith. 2 - Leadership who really pour their lives into the kids and are an active part in their lives (going to games, meeting for lunch outside of youth group, sending e-mails or letters to encourage them). 3 - The focus of the youth group meetings are the Word. 4 - Student leaders are discipled and mentored and allowed to take places of leadership and even do some of the teaching under the watchful eye of the youth pastor/leader. 5 - Any unchristian behavior is addressed clearly and directly (including things on Facebook, in school and in the home). 6 - The leadership works with the parents closely to know how best to serve them in working with their kids. 7 - The leadership of the youth group AND the church wear out their knees praying for these kids. 8. - The ministry leaders show clearly to the kids that their parents are their authority and to respect them, as the leaders respect them too.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Teaching the word of God to someone at their age level and understanding is a clear principle in scripture.

This passage not only applies to evanegelism but we can see that the word of God is being delivered to people based on their ability to understand.

While this passage is certainly in a negative context and Paul is correcting them the principle is still seen here. Paul spoke to them the word of God based on their ability to understand. This he did because they could not understand otherwise.

Making little children sit through preaching that only adults can understand does nothing to help the children to understand scripture, be discipled, or grow in Christ.

Ignoring age and mental capacity differences is foolish to say the least.

#10 Revmitchell, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014
  11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann and Rev both had excellent posts.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Salty - Ann and RevMitchell have settled the matter.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about those who have an entirely separate service for the youth? I've attended churches that do this (there is no family worship as the youth and children attend their own service in addition to study groups). I'm not saying this is good or bad, and we don't attend church to enjoy "family time" with your kids...we go to disciple and be discipled, to worship God. My current church held separate services at one time. I can understand the reasoning for the younger children (the sermon being "over their head") and all they learn is how to sit in worship. I've also attended churches where the children worship with their families but leave for a children's sermon half way through the service. Do y'all think it important to worship together (in the service) or is it preferable for the youth/children to be segregated throughout their time at church?

14. T Alan

T Alan New Member

I agree. They both made stated their opinion's well.

I nearly split a seam, and spewed my coffee when I read this comment (I found this funny and unbelievable at the same time); First off, Salty, although may have implied it, never said "that settles the matter". Scarlett, "they have settled it" must mean "they have presented opinions that I agree with therefore there is no need for further comment, everybody let this die out." I have one word that I know for me sums this up:
    RIDICULOUS. But, expected.
    Another "Golden Calf" of the religious has been marked for destruction.

15. T Alan

T Alan New Member

IS THERE A LOGICIAN IN THE HOUSE? PLEASE!!!!! HUMAN THOUGHT IS DYING HERE!!!! IS THERE A LOGICIAN IN THE HOUSE!!

PLEASE! For the love of GOD and His Church! Someone call a Logician!!!:tear::tear::tear::tear:

16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Comments like this are expected from cagey cals. No self control.

17. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    T Alan, you asked if meeting people's spiritual needs by age group was Biblical.

Ann gave you plenty of personal testimony of how well it works when it works towards Biblical purposes.

RevMitchell gave you scripture about having to teach and preach to people where they are - in a milk state or a meat state.

That settles it for me. Your question has been answered with eye witness testimony and scripture. What else do you want? It's what you asked for.

If a competent leader of young people is working towards goals that culminate in leading young people towards justification and sanctification and leads them to become strong adults in the Lord, then segregated spiritual learning would not only be Biblical, but necessary from time to time.

When I used to teach in Christian schools, I taught the Bible to 6th graders and I led chapel for young people.

On Sundays, I taught senior adults.

While the Bible was the focus of the lesson with both 6th graders and senior adults - the lessons themselves could in no wise be the same.

Milk vs. Meat.

18. T Alan

T Alan New Member

post the entire comment for the full effect, I said "I nearly split a seam, and spewed my coffee when I read this comment (I found this funny and unbelievable at the same time); First off, Salty, although may have implied it, never said "that settles the matter". Scarlett, "they have settled it" must mean "they have presented opinions that I agree with therefore there is no need for further comment, everybody let this die out." I have one word that I know for me sums this up:
    RIDICULOUS. But, expected.
    Another "Golden Calf" of the religious has been marked for destruction. "

WOW! Reverend, do you think THIS comment is lacking "self control" you should see me when I get wound up.

19. T Alan

T Alan New Member

It's one perspective. There is another. To say "that settles it" before the other perspective is given and the first responders point's met with that "other view" is pointless. This is a discussion, right?

I trust they were only women since, I trust it was in a Baptist Chruch.;)

There you have it again, it's the way you did it, so it must be right.? I'll give my version of what's "right" a bit later.

20. Gib

Gib Active Member

Everybody can have a "my version" but it doesn't mean it's right. Until later. :smilewinkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.