1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zane Hodges has passed and recieved his rewards...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Alive in Christ, Nov 26, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Pinoybaptist,

If we let Scripture speak, then sinners who trust Jesus for salvation have the blood applied to them and are thereby redeemed.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The finished work of Christ at Calvary ensures the salvation of the elect, who will certainly believe.

The point here has nothing to do with the salvation of unbelievers. It has to do with the fact that Israel's unbelief does not mean God is unfaithful. It seems to point exactly to the opposite of your position.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not?

What do you believe is the differences between Charlie Bing, Bob Wilkin, and Zane Hodges?

4. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Martin,

You said...

Those are great scriptures. But here are several scriptures that clearly state that eternal salvation is based solely and simply on the condition of faith or belief in Christs promise to save, with absolutely no requirment to acknowledge or promise anything else...

No doctrinal quiz to pass. No surrendering to Christs Lordship. No promising obedience. No calling Him Lord, even.

Ummm...but Paul wrote many of the passages of scripture I posted, and according to the passages of scripture I quoted, thats not true.

There was nothing about believing in the substitutionaty death and resurrection or Christ in any of the passages I posted.

What was required was sincere belief, or faith, and Christs promise to save them.

And....ETERNAL SALVATION IS PROMISED.

The sole condition in every case was FAITH in Christs promise, or BELIEF in Christs promise.

Regarding belief in the Lord Jesus Christs substitionary death and resurrection, you say.....

No he doesnt. Just like I dont deny it.. And here is why:

When someone places their faith in Christ they are indwelt by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is called "the Teacher". The Holy Spirit will do more than simply secure the new believer for eternity. He will also begin to open the new born believers eyes to truth.

So...when the new believer reads, or is taught, about Christs Divinity, His substitutionary death and resurrection, etc etc, *OF COURSE* he will immedietly believe!

The switch has been turned on. The eyes have been opened. The Holy Spirit is present.

OF COURSE he will believe it!

Well, I just gave you 14 passages of scripture, and I could have given pages more, where the substitutionary death and resurrection of Christ, as well as His Lordship was NEVER mentioned...and yet...as important as all those truths are....eternal salvation is promised!

And if someone believes that right off the bat, Praise the Lord!

But if they dont...and they are born again through faith (or belief) in Christs promise of salvation alone...then they will believe those things in due time afterwords.

Either way, they ARE going to believe those things.

So far I have seen absolutely no evidence of that.

:godisgood:

#44 Alive in Christ, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2008
  5. Alive in Christ

Martin,

Something that just came to my mind here.

Of course, Jesus Christ is Lord all the time. We dont "make" Him Lord. He IS our Lord, whether we like it or not. (and I like it!)

But dont you think, that if a lost person is willing to place their eternal destiny, and escape from damnation, completely in the hands of a person they have never phyically seen, and who physically left this earth 2000 years ago...its pretty much a foregone conclusion that that person is considering that one to be "Lord"?

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I always find it a bit troubling when someone says something along the lines of "I know that is what Scripture says, but...". You have just, in a single stroke, cancelled out the whole picture that Scripture paints. I showed you what Scripture said about the Gospel (1Cor 15:1-4, Rom 10:9, Lk 24:46-47, Acts 17:30-31, 26:17-23, etc). We could even look to John 3:16 and other such passages. To be saved a person must believe that Christ died for thier sins and rose again on the third day. That is what Scripture means when it tells people to believe in the Lord Jesus. Telling people to believe "in Christs promise to save" while leaving out the cross and the empty tomb is not giving people the Biblical Gospel (that saves).

==Nobody said anything about a "doctrinal quiz" that must be passed. Believing in the death of Christ on the cross for our sins and that He rose on the third day is hardly a "doctrinal quiz". It is the Biblical requirements for salvation. It is what is meant when Scripture says "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved" (Acts 16:31). How do I know? The statements that define what that faith believes. You are basing your position on part of the Scriptures. To rightly divide the Word of truth you must take the whole witness of Scripture into consideration.

You say that submitting to the Lordship of Christ is not a part of true saving faith. Yet it is Scripture that says to be saved a person must "confess...Jesus as Lord" (Rom 10:9). Confess is to agree, Lord is a master. True saving faith confesses that Jesus is Lord, it agrees that He is the Master.

You say that submitting to the Lordship of Christ is not part of true saving faith, yet it was the Lord Jesus Himself who warned that His sheep (true believers) follow Him (Jn 10:27). In order to "follow Him" we must die to ourselves. Christ warned:

"If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me." -Luke 9:23

Christians are those who have by faith turned to Christ as their Lord (and Savior). Those who want salvation without Christ's Lordship will get neither.

The extreme non-Lordship position of Hodges, Wilkin, Bing, and Evans will be the reason hundreds (if not thousands) of people spend eternity in hell. While on earth Christ warned about the dangers of shallow faith or light hearted commitment. The extreme non-Lordship folks have ignored that warning. It sounds like you are among those who have ignored our Lord's warning about that. I pray I am wrong.

==But according to the passages I quoted, it is true. We could go around that circle all day and night. What we must do is take all of Scripture and not just isolated verses. See above.

==But there is in plenty of other passages such as 1Cor. 15:1-4 where Paul defines the Gospel He preached. Maybe yours is different from Paul's?

Again we must take the whole picture and not just one part.

==Wilkin, like you, denies that a person must believe in the death and resurrection of Christ in order to be saved.

==Yet Scripture tells us that one must believe those things to be saved (see above). Saving faith is a gift from God (Eph 2:8-9, Heb 12:2, 1Pet 1:21, 1Cor 1:26-31, Phil 1:29, 2Tim 2:24-25, etc).

==That is very twisted logic. You seem to be saying that because more Scriptures don't mention it than do then it is not required. Yet all Scripture is from God and all of it must be taken into consideration.

==A person who does not believe in Christ's finished work has not believed the Gospel and is not saved (Rom 10:9, 1Cor 15:2).

7. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Curious as to why you omitted verses like Acts 16:31, Romans 10:9-10, Romans 10:13?

8. Alive in Christ

Martin,

I have been familiar with Zane Hodges for many years from reading two of his books. Both were just excellant. Very rich and very edifying. Filled with strong biblical truth. I am SHOCKED to see this dear brother labeled a heretic. Regarding GES, I have fairly recently been made aware of their web-site, and so far everything I have read is just fine as far as I am concerned. As I said before, I hear these things in church (Baptist) from time to time and they get lots of "Amen, brother!" comments from those in attendance.

Well, I agree completely. But so far I have given you 14 passages of scripture that place the condition for salvation being "faith in Christ's promise alone" or "belief in Christs promise alone", while you are standing on your 1 passage of scripture about having to add some things to faith or belief alone.

Why are you asking me to interpret my 14 passages of scripture in light of your 1 passage, rather than you interpret your 1 passage in light of my 14?

And let me just mention this again....the reason I am somewhat sympathetic to the views of these brothers in Christ at GES is due to my personal experience. When all those christians were witnessing to me those many years ago, nobody ever confronted me with inquiries like...

They simply shared with me that Jesus Christ was my answer for everything. Eternal salvation, freedom from sin, an abundant life here and now, etc. All through faith alone, and resulting in the new birth.

In due time I came to the end of my running from God. I gave up, and called on Christ. And I was WONDERFULLY and JOYFULLY born again of the Spirit of God, and my life has never been the same since. And I have been basically a "scripture sponge" all these years as well. Feeding on the scriptures, and growing in grace and truth for decade after decade.

So brother...I am living proof that the type of evangelism you are saying doesnt work...DOES!

#48 Alive in Christ, Dec 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2008
  9. Alive in Christ

Pastor Larry,

Great passages...

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

All of which speak of Jesus as Lord being part of saving faith, and thus disproving your notion (and Hodge's as well). The Bible clearly includes the lordship of Christ as a part of saving faith. Hodges did not.

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==And it is not just so-called "Lordship" folks like myself calling Hodges on the carpet (so to speak). Even "freegrace" folks are warning about the dangers of GES...

"Their view is not another flavor. Their view is not an alternative interpretation. Hodges and the GES are not in mild error between the division of labors of elders and deacons. They have abandoned the faith by clever arguments. And they are heretics." -SOURCE

==From reading your replies (etc) I can see where you would not have any problems with GES.

==I am not sure how that statement proves your agreement with what I said. In fact, it seems you are doing the exact thing I cautioned against. If you would go back you would find that my position is not based on one "isolated" text, but on the whole testimony of Scripture. Of course salvation is by faith in Christ alone. Nobody disputes that. The issue of debate is the substance of that faith. Scripture teaches that "believing in Christ" is not just believing that He gives eternal life to those who believe in Him but it is also believing in His Lordship, His death on the cross for our sins and His resurrection. Take those things out and there is no more good news (Acts 17:29-31, Rom 10:9, 1Cor 15:1-3, Lk 24:46-47, etc). I would like to see you deal with passages like 1Cor. 15:1-3 where Paul describes the Gospel he preached as including the death and resurrection of Christ. I would like to see you deal with his ministry in the book of Acts where it is recorded on several occasions that he preached the very same Gospel he spoke of in 1Cor 15:1-3 (Acts 13:23-39, 17:1-5, 17:22-31, 23:6, etc). Your position subtracts from what people are required to believe (about Christ) in order to be saved.

==I am asking you to take the whole council of Scripture into consideration instead of isolating your pet verses and ignoring the others.

==Let's see what you said they failed to mention:

"Do you confess Jesus as your Lord right now"

==Paul said "if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved" (Rom 10:9). So if they failed to mention Christ's Lordship to you that was a major failure on their part.

"Do you understand his substitutionary death and resurrection for you right now"

==Paul said that the Gospel he preached included the death of Christ for our sins according to the Scriptures and the resurrection (1Cor 15:1-3). If they left out the cross, if they left out the resurrection, then they failed to preach the Biblical Gospel. You may have been saved notwithstanding their failures but that does not change the fact that they failed to obey the Scriptures.

Besides all of that, we judge truth by Scripture and not experience. After all salvation is of the Lord, it is a work of the Lord, and not the work of man. But that does not change the fact that they did not faithfully preach the whole council of God.

#51 Martin, Dec 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2008
  12. Alive in Christ

Pastor Larry,

Then you must deny all of the scriptures I posted...

One of the most important principles in interpreting the scriptures, Larry, is letting the scriptures interpret themselves, rather that interpreting them in light of our personal preferances.

13. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Yes, indeed. And this itself provides the most conclusive evidence against Hodges. Hodges let his personal preferences get in the way of the plain teaching of the Scriptures.

14. Paul Kersey

Paul Kersey New Member

Zane Hodges / Wilkin / Charlie Bing comparison

I have observed this thread with a queasy feeling. I personally disagree with much of Zane Hodges' teaching. However, in view of the fact that the man just passed away, would it not be more noble and loving to avoid harsh attacks at this time? Again, I recognize many of you have legitimate disagreements with his teaching. Yet, many of these posts are venomous and seem to be painted with a very broad (and very judgmental) brush. I am not saying that there are not implications for what authors/theologians teach. Yet, is this really how you would like those who disagree with you to respond at the time of your passing?

Also, there is a clear distinction between Wilkin/Hodges and Dr. Bing. Wilkin/Hodges reject the notion that repentance is necessary for salvation. Charlie Bing has clearly stated, on many occasions, that repentance is a vitally important component of salvation. I am in strong agreement with him on the "change of heart" definition of metanoia/metanoeo, rejecting the "turn from sin" idea, in its soteriological context. Please don't start another extended thread on the idea of repentance. If you disagree, that's certainly your right. I am simply pointing out the differences between these three men. It has been my experience that though Dr. Charles Stanley is often lumped in with Zane Hodges, due to some similar ideas regarding the fate of those who walk away from the faith, Stanley is actually closer to Dr. Bing in his teaching. He clearly teaches repentance, in the change of mind context. I just received a mailout regarding this very idea.

Additionally, Dr. Bing, a man I hold in very high regard (as I do Dr. Stanley), spends much of his time overseas on the mission field, training pastors in very remote areas in evangelism. You may disagree with Dr. Bing, but he is actively seeking to make a difference for Christ. Dr. Bing is a moderate free-grace proponent, as are (in my opinion) Ron Rhodes, Stanley, Norman Geisler, and Chuck Swindoll. Wilkin/Hodges are on the extreme end of the free grace scale, and there are many other points of disagreement other than repentance. Most free grace proponents I know are not comfortable with the GES.

15. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==As you know, the truth does not wait for anyone nor does it take a day off. The errors of Zane Hodges are still alive and well and will be for years to come. There is no telling the damage that man did to the church. So while I have sympathy for his family and friends, I must continue speaking out against the errors and confusion he left behind.

==Dr. Stanley is "lumped" in with Hodges because his book "Eternal Security: Can You Be Sure" depends heavily upon the teachings of Hodges. It seems that some of the ideas Dr. Stanley wrote in his book no longer represent his positions.

==I don't consider the moderate free-grace position a major problem. Do I believe they are wrong on points? Yes. But nothing that will cause people to end up in hell. Men like Charles Stanley, Charles Ryrie, and Ron Rhodes (etc) are wonderful teachers whose work I generally admire. The heretics are in the extreme free-grace camp (not the moderate).

16. Alive in Christ

Martin,

Well, why not let the "heretics" speak for themselves, regarding the "Lordship" of Christ issue.

An excerpt from their web-site, by Bob Wilken...

The thing is, I have no problem with you guys disagreeing with Hodges and the others. Nothing wrong with that at all. Completely normal and even profitable. Much good has come from healthy disagreement. God approves of it in Romans 14.

The thing that is so bewildering to me is this condemnation of them, and this silly buisiness of considering them to be these evil heretics.

When they are so clearly proclaiming the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

I wonder if their might be wisdom to be found in certain passages of Galatians 4-21-31

Not a direct application concerning every "jot and tittle" of course, but maybe something to think about.

Link to the quoted material from GES...

http://www.faithalone.org/news/y2008/we%20believe%20Jesus%20is%20Lord.htm

#56 Alive in Christ, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2008
  17. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Martin writes:
    "==Dr. Stanley is "lumped" in with Hodges because his book "Eternal Security: Can You Be Sure" depends heavily upon the teachings of Hodges. It seems that some of the ideas Dr. Stanley wrote in his book no longer represent his positions."

drfuss: But it seems Dr. Stanley's basic ideas on the matter are still the same. I just copied the following from his Website under the section on those who stop believing:

"I imagine that a woman who has gone through an experience like the one described above would always have faith in firemen and their nets. But even if she did not, the fact remains that she was saved from the fire. In the same way, in all probability, a Christian who has expressed faith in Christ and experienced forgiveness of sin will always believe that forgiveness is found through Him. But even if the believer does not, the fact remains that he is forgiven."

18. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Gentlemen and ladies: I hardly think that the announcement of the death of this long-time Bible teacher is the place to debate and disparage his views.