1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Forsake sin" FOR Salvation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Lou Martuneac, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I admire the ministry of the late Dr.S. Lewis Johnson very much.Dr.MacArthur has regarded him as a mentor in the Faith.I'm glad you appreciate him EDs;despite his strong Calvinism.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Irony of ironies! Tell me Sp, you really are blind of your ways aren't you?

3. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

ReStating he Issue

This thread has taken several twists and turns, some on message some well off. There are folks who come to threads, but start at the end. These will miss the opening post that was under discussion. For those folks I am reposting the article that began this thread and generated so many visits and comments.

Must a lost man "forsake sin" FOR salvation?
    In his sermon John MacArthur speaks of the Gospel. Any responsible Bible-believing Christian understands that the Gospel is the "good news" of salvation from sin, death and Hell. The Gospel is God’s redemptive plan for the lost.

The Gospel call of Jesus, according to John MacArthur, calls on the lost to “forsake sin, turn from sin, and pursue righteousness.” The Gospel FOR salvation, as defined MacArthur, equates a change in behavior as co-equal with believing.

"And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house," (Acts 16:31) Is salvation through believeing or behaving? The lost are born again by believing in who Jesus is and what He did to provide salvation. LS adds a commitment to behave as one might expect a born again disciple of Christ should once he has believed and become a Christian.

This is a message that conditions eternal salvation on the lost man making a commitment to “forsake” (stop) sinning, start obeying and keep obeying over a life time. That is WORKS salvation! Lordship Salvation is a corruption of the “simplicity that is in Christ,” (2 Cor. 11:3).

LM

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

[SIGH!]*Yeah, I guess "turn from sin = repent from sin," in the sense that you are intending.

However, in the sense of the use of the Hebrew and Greek languages, these words rendered as 'repent' and 'turn' are not synonomous, at all, which was my objection, considering I have a decided aversion to "reading theology" intothe Scripture's texts.

And the word rendered as the English word "repent" in Isa. 59:20 in the NIV and TNIV is the word "shuwb" (Strong #7725) which has the force of "turn" or return" as all the other major standard versions render this word, in about every instance, I believe, except for the KJV (which renders "shuwb" three times as "repent", and in which case, the RV and ASV 'updates' this (and the NKJV follows suit) by more accurately rendering this also as "turn", making it basically consistent with the other over 500 uses of that Hebrew word in Scripture.

There is also a great deal of difference between "shuwb" and "nacham"
    (Strong #5162) which is, I believe, the Hebrew word normally rendered as "repent" in the OT, and carries the idea of 'to be eased', in its force, and is rendered as 'comfort, 'ease,' or 'repent.'

Likewise, the NT words 'metamellomai', (to care afterward, or differently or 'feel differently' and carrying the implied idea of regret, which word is not used as touching on salvation, to my knowledge) and "metanoeO/metanoia" (to think afterward, or differently or "change one's mind" or 'think differently') are both far different than "epistrephO" (to turn or 'convert').

Incidentally, Judas did 'metamellomai' (regret), however he did not 'metanoeO' (think differently), hence receive the gift of salvation. "'Regret' ain't where its at!" in the vernacular.

Additionally, as I have pointed out repeatedly, the phrases of "repent of/from (one's) sin", as well as "turn from sin" are neither found in Scripture, to my knowledge, in any standard version, with this single exception, here. One can find a few variants (some 5-10, depending on which version) of "turn from sin" with a few additional words in most standard versions in the OT, but even in this is never speaking unambigiously of personal salvation, to my knowledge, although I did not do an exhaustive study of the verses, I admit.

I have posted no fewer than ten times in 2 1/2 years, now on the BB, fairly exhaustive definitions and expositions of repentance regarding salvation, and why this repentance that is indeed necessary, is not turning from or feeling sorry for one's sin(s). If one has managed to miss all of them, somehow (and you have been on the BB for longer than I have), just try this link.

http://www.baptistboard.com/search.php?searchid=454030

It should cover about all of them, and in far more detail than I have either the time or patience for, this evening. I don't mean to sound 'short,' but it seems that it has fallen on completely deaf ears, somehow, and I simply don't physically feel up to staying up till 4 AM, yet once again, to compose it "just one more time." Maybe my P.S. footnote will help some to remember this, however.

Ed

P.S. * [SIGH!] I just 'repented' here, in the OT sense. Look at the above definition, where "shuwb" properly means exactly that, a heavy sigh.

#144 EdSutton, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2008
  5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ed, your link doesn't work. It reads

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

You "shuwb" provide another link :D

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I let out a loud guffaw on your last line.

7. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Ok Lou, I'll bite. Show me where MacArthur actually teaches that one must forsake sin FOR salvation. I expect to see these words and explaination by JM. The quote you provided doesn't say "Forsake sin for salvation" it is an exhortation to repentence from dead works and faith toward God, in my opinion.

One wonders if you believe repentance is not needed UNTO salvation. I see nothing here in what you have presented as JM's views that says what you say he is teaching. I don't have his book. So I can't look at the above quote in its context. Please provide a larger portion of it.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I dunno why it doesn't work.

I'll try to do this one more time and see what happens. :type:

http://www.baptistboard.com/search.php?searchid=454170

Sending, and I will check.

Ok, I just checked, and it worked for me, this time, so you might try it again.

The previous time I got the same message as you did, for some reason.

BTW, I like your humor, as well, as this is somwhat akin to mine.

"When it comes to laughs, go for the 'cheapies'!"

It's what I do. :thumbs:

Hey, you can get in ten 'cheapies" for the cost of one good laugh! [Big Grin!]

Ed

P.S. Folks, this post and the link to posts is for informational purposes, not because I have any great desire to impress anyone with my knowledge, or let them see my lack of the same (since at least one individual on this subject has doubted my exegetical skills, which is in itself, telling, since I never claimed to have any such in the first place), as the case may be.

I assure all, I have no particular need to have my ego stroked in any way, and I don't get any great thrill in decrying any other, by any stretch, so I try and not let anything seem 'personal.'

Like some others have posted, this is not personal, in any manner. I have nothing to sell, nor any homepage or 'blog spot' that I want folks to read, as this is my one and only 'public forum' where I regularly appear in any manner, whatsoever. I do not even have any of the skills necessary to accomplish the last two things, if I even wished to do so, I assure you.

I have to get my bride :love2: to 'fix' to the computer, when and if I mess something up, as I have no ability to undo any my own "goofs," even.

My call of "Honey! Can I et you to fix the computer? I messed it up, somehow!" is usually followed with her three part response of "Again??" "[Sigh!]" :rolleyes:

#148 EdSutton, Aug 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2008
  9. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Another man trying to defend something he may have NEVER read!?? Please go do the homework

LM

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Lou Martuneac is, as am I, on record on the BB, saying we both believe repentance is indeed necessary for salvation. (That means it's a "requirement", for you sports fans without good access to Messers Roget and Webster!) :rolleyes:

In fact, I am on record more than ten times where I have, in essence, said this, starting here, in this thread, in my first month on the BB:

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=4734&highlight=repent+turn+sins

However, I am also fully on record, just as many times, as refusing to allow someone else to impose their definition of the repentance that is required for salvation, as "repentance from sin(s)" on the Biblical texts. I believe, if my memory serves, that Lou Martuneac has said effectively the same thing, as well.

Ed

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Hang in there ED, someday maybe in your life time, they will quit saying "repent of your sins and be saved"............................ :laugh: :BangHead:

I should of said "we"............:)

12. Pilgrimer

Pilgrimer Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello Skypair, it's been a long time. I trust you are well?

I agree with what you said about salvation and sanctification, but I think it is the soul that is composed of the mind, will and emotions, not the spirit. Everyone, even the lost, has (or rather is) a living soul with a completely functioning mind, will and emotions (granted, some "function" a bit better than others perhaps! :laugh: ).

So I don't think it's the soul that is dead and needs to be regenerated, I think it's the spirit. All men are born living souls who are spiritually dead. That's why we can't see, hear, touch, taste, smell or in any way perceive or have a conscious awareness of God, He is Spirit and dwells in a spiritual realm that we are dead to. It's like a dead body in a casket at a funeral that has no conscious awareness of the life that is going on around it, it's the same way with the spirit, men are born dead to the world of God which is going on all around us. Unless we are born again we cannot even "see" that spiritual Kingdom or realm of Heaven. But once we are are born again we are raised in the spirit from death to life and our dead spiritual eyes and ears are opened to see and hear and discern the spiritual things of God and His Kingdom. That's why eternal life is a gift of God, because a man can no more do anything to restore himself to spiritual life than a dead body can to restore itself to physical life.

And about behavior being coequal with believing, I am only half Baptist, the other half is Pentecostal so I have no problem understanding, both doctrinally as well as experientially, that those who abide in the Vine will bear the fruit of righteousness that the Vine produces . . .

And to God be the glory!

In Christ,
    Pilgrimer

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Then how can the "soul that sinneth, shall die", if its already dead ????????

14. Pilgrimer

Pilgrimer Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello Brother Bob,

I didn't say the soul is already dead. Quite the opposite, I said the soul is not dead, but alive. It's the spirit that is dead.

The moment of conception is the conception of a living soul which life will continue, even after the death of the body, until the day of judgment at which time the sinner will be cast body and soul into the lake of fire and will perish, ergo, "the soul that sinneth, it shall die."

In Christ,
    Pilgrimer

15. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Ed:

You have accurately represented me. See What is Biblical Repentance?

In the Lordship Salvation controversy the doctrine of repentance probably draws more attention, scrutiny, debate, fire and criticism than any other doctrine in the debate. Men on both sides of the Lordship debate agree repentance has a role in salvation. They disagree sharply on the exact role and definition of repentance, but agree repentance is involved in the salvation experience.

Zane Hodges and Bob Wilkin, of the Grace Evangelical Society, are notable exceptions to this general consensus on repentance. The teaching of these men entirely eliminates repentance toward God as a condition of salvation. In his book, Harmony With God Hodges takes the position that the process of repentance may be a preparatory step in coming to salvation, and should be evident in the life of a believer, but a lost man can be born again apart from repentance by any definition.

Hodges also said he no longer holds to the “change of mind” view of repentance. Hodges says there is only one answer to the question, “What must I do to be saved?” Hodges emphatically states that repentance is not part of that answer. Furthermore, Hodges and Wilkin reject the almost universally held “change of mind” definition of repentance. This teaching can be found in Zane Hodges’ books Absolutely Free and Harmony With God.

Ironically, Wilkins’s 1985 doctrinal dissertation is titled, Repentance as a Condition for Salvation in the New Testament. At that time Wilkin held the “change of mind” view and believed repentance was a condition for salvation. The influence of Hodges eventually led Wilkin to abandon the position he defended in his dissertation. At the 1998 Grace Evangelical Society’s National Conference Bob Wilkin revealed he had a “change of mind” about repentance. Hodges and Wilkin defined repentance as “turning from sin,” and also announced their view that repentance, by any definition, is not a condition for salvation.

LM

For a more detailed examination of the heretical views of the GES Crossless Gospel and the doctrine of repentance, please see- Is There Such a Thing as Repentance in the “Crossless” Gospel?

For detailed examination of how Lordship Salvation defines repentance, please see-
    How Does the Lordship Advocate Define Repentance?

16. ReformedBaptist

Why do you speak of yourself in the third person? It's weird. Wiggin me out.

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Now this is a substantive response. :rolleyes:

And I also have some lovely oceanfront property for sale, at a great price, right here in central KY. :thumbs:

I spoke "in the "first person'" 18 times in the post, by my count. I spoke in "the third person" only to identify for others, and be compared with other posters on the BB. I uses the "BB handles" for that whenever I do.

Ed

18. ReformedBaptist

I will trade ya 4 million shares in a new company called Ponzi Incorporated for title to your property. Just sign it over to me and send it to 1234 Ponzi Scheme Lane, Wacko Texas, 73245.

And if yer countin yer pronouns...weeds are growing on the farm. :laugh:

19. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Dear BB Readers:

Following is the exact quote that verifies and affirms LS conditions salvation, the reception of eternal life, on the lost man's commitment to believe and to "forsake sin." This is faith, plus a commitment to works.

Must a lost man "forsake sin, turn from sin" FOR salvation? According to Dr. MacArthur, YES!

JM is directing his comments above to the lost, he is speaking in terms of an evangelistic appeal. He equates believing with behavior, calling on sinners, those who were still unsaved, to embrace believe and behave to come to Christ. LS, however, puts the premium on behavior.

Lordship Salvation is a works-based, non-saving message that redefines the Gospel by viewing a commitment to he results of salvation as the requirement FOR salvation.

Lordship Salvation frustrates grace (Gal. 2:21) and must be biblically resisted for the sake of unsuspecting believers and the lost who may come under the sound of this corruption of the simplicity that is in Christ (2 Cor. 11:3).

LM

20. ReformedBaptist

So did Jesus.