1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Emotional or Exegetical?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The first part of your statement does not represent the beliefs of any person on baptist board so it is meaningless.

The last part of your question can be answered very simply- Because God said so.

That's enough for most, if not all, Christian people. It really is.

Calvinism offends every sinner and every sinful part of every sinner. That includes a sinners man-centered self worshiping sense of justice.

And we all have to mortify that in order to come to the truth on these matters.

Yes, just as Mormons have to surrender their depraved heresies to come to the truth thought they were raised thinking one way and their sense of justice was totally different than the sense of justice found in the Bible.

Just as Catholics have to do.

Just as Jehovah's Witnesses have to do.

First of all, you don't represent most "non-cals". Most of them, just like most of us Calvinists, recognize that they are sinners and that every part of them is sinful and that they cannot readily trust their own lost sense of the world and God.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes it is; here is why.

The Scripture plainly teaches what Calvin affirmed: that God "veils the blind that they may remain in darkness."

Your issue with that is "Why?" Why would God veil the blind?

It does not matter why. It matters that he said he does. That's it. You don't need to answer the question "Why?" to believe the Word of God.

You need to be able to believe that God does myriads of things that you don't understand WHY he does them- things you cannot explain.

That's the essence of faith. Believing WHAT God says regardless if you can understand WHY.

I think the Bible is ABUNDANTLY clear that men are blind- that they love darkness rather than light.

I think the Scripture is ABUNDANTLY clear that the Gospel is both the CURE to blindness AND that which enables cured eyes to see.

You cannot seem to accept that no matter how clear it is because, it seems to me, that you have an emotional problem with these clearly revealed truths.

I don't think that is accurate. You seem to me to lean hard to the open theistic view where there really is no knowing the actual future which will actually happen. Because if you know it, it must happen. Otherwise we have a severe epistemological problem.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

So then you don't think God could cause a person to believe????

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You and I had a debate a while back that had to do strictly with exegeting the Scriptures, not quoting authorities etc...

And you proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that you do not, unlike MANY NON-CALS, know beans from apple butter about how to interpret Scripture.

And I am not saying that just because you are not a Calvinist because I debate numerous Arminians who are VERY faithful to the scriptures. One of them is on this board- Skandelon.

But you and winman, I'm telling you, and I wish other non-cals would join with me for your sake, that you two do not know how to interpret Scripture.

Jacobus Arminius would not handle Scripture the terrible way that you do.

John Wesley would not obliterate Scripture the way you do.

William Lane Craig would not murder the Scriptures the way you guys do.

I mean this honestly- CATHOLICS handle the Scriptures better than you two.

I was an Arminian, educated in an Arminian Bible College, pastor of Arminian churches for years. I handled the Scriptures faithfully, though I was wrong about my conclusions. You do not handle the Scriptures even REMOTELY responsibly.

I say this for your sakes and for the sakes of those who might be so ignorant that you could influence them.

#124 Luke2427, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
  5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Luke,

You present an excellent understanding of "faith" above.

6. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Actual there is nothing good in my flesh, that is why we can't trust it. The word of God the Spirit and life quickens the inner most being the free agency and it gives it a new will. They either follow this new will the will of God and live or continue to follow the flesh and perish.

If we don't eat Christ flesh His word and drink His blood the life He lived while He was with us we have no life in us.

Where can I go Jesus Christ is the only one who has the words of life.

We have to ask ourselves is it our old creation that was chosen before the foundation of the world or the new creation that is in Christ the born again one?

Romans 7 :
    18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

#126 psalms109:31, Sep 3, 2012
  7. Winman

Winman Active Member

It all depends on what you mean by the word "cause". I absolutely believe God caused me to believe the gospel, but when I say the word "caused" I do not mean what you say when you say "caused".

Paul asked how any man could believe unless he has heard of Jesus.

Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Notice that three times in this verse Paul asks "How?". Paul is directly addressing ABILITY here. First, he asks how any man can call on Jesus unless he believes on Jesus. This is simple and logical, if a man truly believes the word of God he will call on Jesus to save him. If the man does not believe the gospel, he will not call on Jesus. Therefore it is impossible to sincerely call on Jesus unless you truly believe he is the Son of God who died for our sins and rose from the dead. If you do not believe Jesus rose from the dead and is God, it would be foolish to call on him. Nobody calls on a dead man.

Next, Paul simply asks how any man can believe on Jesus unless he has heard of him. Now here you go, Paul is answering HOW a person comes to believe on Jesus right here. Paul does not mention ONE WORD about the necessity to be supernaturally regenerated to have the ability to believe. If there was any place in all of scripture to answer that question, this verse would be the place to do that. But Paul simply implies that a person must HEAR of Jesus to believe. This is confirmed by his next question when he asks how any man shall hear unless a preacher tells him of Jesus.

If a preacher had not told me about Jesus and that he was the Son of God and died for my sins, it would have been impossible for me to believe on Jesus. No man can possibly believe what he has never heard and does not know.

I also believe that the natural man would never conceive of the gospel on his own. This is obvious when you see people, like tribes in the jungles who have never heard the scriptures. They all conceive of a god of their own making, an idol. And men always believe they are saved by doing good works for this god that pleases him. Thus they give sacrifices and offerings, etc...

So, no man in his natural man would ever conceive of the gospel, and therefore could never believe on Jesus.

It is because God has sent prophets and preachers into the world to reveal his word that I (and you) came to know the gospel. By this God ENABLED me to believe. He did not force me, I had to decide for myself if God's word was true and make that decision to trust Jesus.

Nevertheless, I could not have believed unless God revealed the gospel to me. In this sense God caused me to believe.

Paul shows how we believe in Romans 10:14, we believe by HEARING the gospel. Hearing the gospel enables us to believe, and in a sense it causes us to believe, because the word of God convicts and convinces us to believe. But God does not impose faith on us, we must choose to believe the gospel of our own free will.

Paul numerous times said he persuades men. This is how we come to believe.

2 Cor 5:11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

Acts 19:8 And he went into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the space of three months, disputing and persuading the things concerning the kingdom of God.

Acts 28:23 And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening.

God uses the foolishness of preaching the word of God to persuade men. God does not force or impose anyone to believe. God convinces men to believe. There is a subtle, but important difference.

#127 Winman, Sep 3, 2012
  8. Winman

Winman Active Member

This post is total nonsense. If man must be regenerated to understand the word of God, then there was no necessity for Jesus to speak in parables to hide the gospel from men, which Skan has been saying to you for months. Your view is nonsensical and absurd, and worse, totally non-scriptural.

Jesus often appealed to men's sense of what is right and wrong and justice. In the parable of the Good Samaritan, Jesus asked his hearers who was neighbor to the injured man.

Luk 10:36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
    37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

Jesus shows here that men understand what is right and wrong. They have a true sense of justice. Jesus often asked questions like this of unsaved men. He let them answer for themselves, and often confirmed their judgment was correct. In fact, that is shown in this same chapter.

Luk 10:25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
    26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
    27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
    28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

Jesus said this unsaved man answered correctly. Unsaved men have the ability to make right judgments.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It is untenable to any thoughtful Calvinist and Arminian alike how you would use "Thou hast answered right..." to support this ridiculous notion that sinners are not sinful to the core.

There is not a thoughtful Christian of ANY stripe on earth who would not repudiate himself from your HORRENDOUS handling of Scripture.

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The problem is not that we are not "right" upon occasion, the problem is that God is NEVER wrong. That is a nutshell is where your problem lies.

11. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

It matters if you believe, as we do, that scripture does NOT teach that all men are born "Totally Depraved" (i.e. so blind from birth that a clear proclamation of the gospel could not and would not convert them UNLESS first effectually regenerated by the Holy Spirit).

We are arguing the validity of Calvinism's claim of Total Depravity here Luke and if a passage appears to suggest that a un-regenerate man might be converted from a parable free proclamation of truth, then the concept of Total Depravity is debunked. That is the real reason you want to dismiss it as 'emotive,' but the truth is that this is a LOGICAL problem, not an emotional one. In fact, let's take ALL the emotion out of it and agree EVERYONE deserves hell, even those with the most faith in Christ, okay?

It's not LOGICAL for God to blind a person from the gospel using a parable to prevent his conversion, if the doctrine of Total Depravity is true. PERIOD.

If it helps you to stop blaming this on emotions, then let's change it from people to rocks. Would you think it illogical for God to use parables to prevent a rock from being converted since rocks weren't created with that capacity to begin with? Of course you would. That is completely illogical and frankly kind of crazy. Imagine going in your back yard and fearing the rocks are listening to your conversations so you speak in code lest they hear and believe your words. Why would you do such a thing? They are DEAD ROCKS!

Don't Calvinists, including yourself, continue to argue that men are dead like a corpse and thus UNABLE to respond willingly to any effort to persuade them with the gospel appeal? How it is logical to put a blindfold and ear plugs on a corpse? There is NOTHING emotive about that argument.

12. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

#132 HeirofSalvation, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
  13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

One has...Jesus.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Excellent post. The heart of the matter is not emotion, but logic. The "T" is completely illogical. A corpse does not need to be encased in concrete, blinded and and muffed to prevent it from either hearing the Gospel or responding.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Really? :rolleyes:

Name another. One that is not God.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is no other, that is the point. Your question is pointless and proves nothing.

18. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

No one....and that is not a debated point...see the answer I gave you above....Pelagius knew that too. And his writings have been posted for you to read and learn for yourself. You have been answered. Pelagius's writings have been posted and you have been given links. LEARN...........You staked the farm on Winman's inability to provide further links.....and it worked for a page or two of the thread...but I have now provided them for you....as you demanded. Thus, you have been provided information by which you might educate yourself, to then remain in, and thus argue from ignorance is not valid...You remain unaware of alternatives....and thus you are pretending that alternatives do not exist...that is an "argument from ignorance" and it is fallacious.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It proves (along with scripture) that man cannot obey the Law. He is not born without a nature to sin.

20. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

The utterly godless might not (given the link you provided)...but the informed Arminians do. This is no secret to a lot of informed Christian people of BOTH camps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.