1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

‘Christ’ banned from Longview council invocations

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Please tell me why it isn't right for any person, whether a leader of this land or a simple layman to lift his or her voice in prayer, in any circumstance?

Did our Saviour put restrictions on where we should pray as He taught us to pray?

Yes, I'm aware of our prayer closet and lofty prayers of those who seek personal recognition before the crowd.

Daniel didn't hide in his prayer closet. Why MUST a born again believer always hide in theirs, whether it's in their homes or behind closed doors within the walls of a church?

Is there any place on this earth, where, in your opinion, I should not lift my voice in prayer in the name of Jesus Christ?

2. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Yes!!!!

Excellent Post OT....particularly that LAST question! Right on time ...and on target!:thumbsup:

Bro.Greg:praying:

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am talking about an government endorsed prayer, not an individuals prayer life. Daniel never sought out government endorsement. He as an individual prayed.

Not asking anyone to hide - do believe seeking government endorsement by a Christian is not consistent with the methods of Jesus.

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

You didn't answer my question.

Repeat:
    Is there any place on this earth, where, in your opinion, I should not lift my voice in prayer in the name of Jesus Christ?

Rephrase, a bit.

Is there any place on this earth, where, in your opinion, ANY born again believer should not lift his/her voice in prayer in the name of Jesus Christ?

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Repet answer - as an individual, no. What Daniel did was as an individual. Do as you wish as an individual that is your right. There may be times when a prayer should not be voiced audibly, but not exactly a way to stop an inaudible prayer now is there. What is being discontinued by the the Longview council is government sponsored prayer.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Making a mountain out a molehill - a person praying before a session of Congress or other such event does not make it "government endorsed"
    Say I have an ideal - make a disclaimer before such prayer - "The speaking of this individual to a higher power does not necessary indicate the belief of this government or govt official. Any prayer is strictly the opinion of the individual praying"

I think Zaac said it best "The goats have taken over and outnumber the sheep."

7. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

The Truth is....

The goats have ALWAYS outnumbered the sheep!...We are living in the middle of the domain of the "prince of the power of the air"..............I like that old story that was told of the 82nd Airborne after the D-Day invasion where the comment was heard about the fact that the troops were surrounded....and the retort was heard..."we're paratroopers sir,....we're SUPPOSED to be surrounded!"
    Well....SO ARE WE...and we are to "occupy" until He comes and seek to serve our Lord faithfully regardless of what this world says or does...amen?

Bro.Greg:saint:

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

"Individuals" are the only ones that God has given vocal chords to sing His praises. Pastors are individuals, too. By your words you have deemed it to be acceptable for a pastor to be muzzled and only pray in silence in a public assembly of people.

Students are individuals, too. Last May, in our area, prayer by an individual student was banned from high school graduation exercises. This student held no elected office. There is a place on this earth where this student, and any other individual, cannot lift his/her voice to our Lord.

What it seems that you either fail to realize or have decided it is wrong is that the Constitution permits all "individuals" the freedom to pray, in the public square, as they wish.

Bill of Rights Article 1:
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

In accordance with the Bill of Rights, Longview cannot prohibit a pastor from the free exercise of his faith through his freedom of speech in a peaceful assembly of people. Just as Longview cannot pass a law stating that the only religion that can be practiced, within their scope of influence, is Hindu.

A public prayer offered by an "individual" (regardless of their occupation, role in government, or any other stipulation) is not passing a LAW.

In the United States of America, how can any born again believer support a LAW that bans SPEAKING aloud the name of our Saviour while in prayer in a public place? Daniel put on his full armour of God. Shouldn't we all do the same?

Ephesians 6: KJB
    10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

In closing, how much longer do we have left before a pastor cannot read from the Bible to his congregation on Sunday morning? Think about it, please. When a pastor cannot speak the name of our Saviour, how much longer will it be before he cannot utter "hate speech" to a peaceful assembly?

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are not willing to suffer for what we believe?

Seems everyone is fine with a government endorsed prayer as long as it is a Christian prayer, that's not the way it works in a pluralistic society.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This country was not founded on being a pluralistic society.

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure what you call the first amendment if not pluralistic.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which does not surprise me.

13. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't think the right to say what you please, believe and worship how you please isn't pluralistic? I don't think that word means what you think it means

Pluralism - a condition or system in which two or more states, groups, principles, sources of authority, etc., coexist.
    • a form of society in which the members of minority groups maintain their independent cultural traditions.
    • a political theory or system of power-sharing among a number of political parties.
    • a theory or system of devolution and autonomy for individual bodies in preference to monolithic state control.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What we disagree on is how it is applied.

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I apply it as it is defined, how do you apply it?

16. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  17. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Conflicting feelings here.

The city council decided to stop having prayers before their meetings because an atheist objected. The city council should have grown a spine and dared the atheist to take them to court. I bet the guy would have declined. But supposing the atheist had continued on. At that point they could have reassessed the cost and likely outcome of a court fight and acquiesced if they didn't want to incur legal costs.

Since we do live in a pluralistic society with freedom of religion, Longview citizens should get used to the idea of having Muslim prayers, Eckankar prayers, Buddhist prayers, etc. before the city council meetings as well as Christian prayers. They would have to decide if they want these prayers alongside their Christian prayers or no prayers at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.