1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1. Corinthians 13:7 in the Amplified Bible...

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Jesus is Lord, May 21, 2004.

1. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

"[Charity] beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things..." - 1. Corinthians 13:7 KJV

"Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances..." - 1. Corinthias 13:17 AMP

I donĀ“t really understand what "believeth all things" means. Does it mean that when I want to walk in love I have to believe everything somebody says? The Amplified Bible reads "is ready to believe the best of every person". Makes more sense to me. Is that just interpretation or is there anything in the Greek which could lead to that translation?

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing special in the Greek but the context of "agape" love, the love from the Father instilled in our hearts.

Those who have this love of/from the Father believe all things which He has revealed.

My opinion, of course.

HankD

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since this quatro (four-part) plenary literary device is used, I think it focuses on love in action - GOD'S love to me, and MY love to others:
    </font>
    • True love bears all = covers (stegei in Grk)</font>
    • True love believes all = puts faith in (pisteuei in Grk)</font>
    • True love hopes all = hopes (elpidzei in Grk)</font>
    • True love endures all = remains upon (hupo-menei in Grk)</font>
    This four-fold description of love in action is always the focus of my wedding "sermons".