1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1 Corinthians 14:29

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Martin Marprelate, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There you go resting on a false sense of security Van. I highly doubt that you skip all the words in italics --you couldn't make sense of a number of passages otherwise.

And I have continually pointed out to Steve --no translation consistently brackets or italicizes all words that don't line up perfectly with the original language --it would be an optical maze before your eyes. The italics-mania is rather silly.

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Just curious, can there even be a strictly literal word by word translation into any language of Greek/hebrew texts?

Don't ALL versions do amixture literal to dynamic , just difference being what weight each given by translators?

As I have used Yomngs literal translation, just too literal for my tastes in spots!

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The idea is to minimize adding or subtracting to be "helpful." I this case the addition was unnecessary and made the possible meaning of evaluating the prophets by what they said obscure.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Typical Nonsense

Yes, I might skip the word and find I did not get the message. But rather than accept the addition, I briefly study the verse to figure it out. Sometimes its a simple as reading the HCSB or NKJB version.

I have come to a similar conclusion as Martin, the more you study the more problem translations you find in all versions, but the rate of error is higher for the more dynamic translations. And although the ESV claims to be literal, it does not do well when studied, also a conclusion I share with Martin.

#24 Van, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2011