1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 1 Corinthians 2:14 does not teach total inability

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, Jan 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    PART 1:
    I've been thinking of how to respond to this thread since it was first posted, and given what the Lord has shown me about how important it is to simply state what I see in Scripture without giving in to the fleshly desire for strife, I've decided to develop what I see there and state it in as detailed and objective a manner as I can.

I cannot speak for others here, but it is my sincere intention to convey my respects to @Revmitchell and to avoid the appearance of evil.
    Therefore, there will be no condescension from my end, neither will there be any remarks of a derogatory nature.

With all due respect to the OP and to this quote in particular, I have to disagree with the above quote ( and the OP's title in the greater sense ), as I clearly seeing the context of 1 Corinthians 2 developing who the "natural man" is, and who the "spiritual man" is as found in 1 Corinthians 2:14-16.

So, with that said, this will be a long reply in several parts.
    First of all, I'll post the entire chapter for everyone to see:

" And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
    2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
    3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
    4 And my speech and my preaching [was] not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
    5 that your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
    6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:
    7 but we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, [even] the hidden [wisdom], which God ordained before the world unto our glory:
    8 which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known [it], they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
    9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
    10 But God hath revealed [them] unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
    11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
    12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
    13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
    14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.
    15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
    16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ."
    ( 1 Corinthians 2:1-16 ).

#61 Dave G, Mar 22, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    PART 2:

Having listed the passage ( admittedly, it's in the AV, and while I know that not everyone here is comfortable reading from it, I don't have any trouble understanding it after years of studying from it so my apologies ), I will now give my commentary verse-by-verse:

1) Paul starts by addressing them as the brethren in the Lord that they are to him. He tells them that when he came to them, he did so without great oration...excellency of speech, nor did he do so with wisdom. He came declaring the testimony of God.

2) He then tells them that he determined not to know anything among them ( while he was there with them ) except for Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

3) He was with them bodily in "weakness" and in fear ( respect ) and in much trembling ( being humble and gentle towards them ).

4) He confesses to them that both his speech and preaching were not done with the enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit's work within him and of His power.

5) So that their faith would not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

6) Now he declares to them that he speaks that wisdom, to them that are perfect ( please see Colossians 1:28 and Hebrews 10:14 for what it is to be "perfect" )...yet it is not the wisdom of this world or of the rulers of this world that come to nothing...

7) He goes on to tell them that "we" ( both him and Sosthenes, see 1 Corinthians 1:1 ) speak the wisdom of God in a mystery...hidden wisdom which God ordained before the world began, to the believers glory.

8) That wisdom was such that none of the rulers of this world knew it..for had they known it, they would never have crucified the Lord Jesus.

9) He then continues with a reference to Isaiah 64:4, which states that no eye has seen, or ear has heard, neither has entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for those who love Him ( see Romans 8:28-39 for the identity of "those who love Him" ).

10) But God has revealed those things to us ( believers ) by His Spirit...for the Spirit searches out all things, yes, the deep things of God.

11) Then Paul asks them, " For what man knows the things of a man, except the spirit of man which is in him?" He then tells them that no man knows the things of God, but that only the Spirit of God does.

12) He then goes on to tell them that "we" ( believers ) have not received the spirit of the world, but the Spirit which is of God...so that "we" ( believers ) might know the things that are freely given to us by God ( see verse 9 ). In other words, unless men have the Spirit of God, they will not be able to know the things of God.

13) Paul then identifies those "things"; They are the things that he and Sosthenes speak to them. Those "things" are not in the words that man's wisdom teaches, but the words which the Holy Ghost teaches ( Scripture, God's words to men )....they are the words which are compared to each other spiritually, not in man's wisdom.

14) He continues by telling the Corinthians that the "natural man" ( please see Jude 1:10 and 2 Peter 2:12 for the identity of the "natural man" ) receives not ( does not welcome ) the things of the Spirit of God...for they are foolishness to that man, but instead, they are spiritually ( by the work of the Holy Spirit ) discerned...not naturally, with man's wisdom.

15) But he that is spiritual ( has the Spirit living in him and giving him God's wisdom by His word and His miraculous power ) judges all things, but he himself is judged of no man, because God has justified him ( See Romans 8:33 ).

16) Finally, Paul asks them, " Who has known the mind of the Lord, so that he may instruct Him?" He then tells them that they have the mind of Christ.

#62 Dave G, Mar 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    PART 3:

To me, the identity of the "natural man" in 1 Corinthians 2:14 should be obvious to anyone reading and understanding the passage.
    That "natural man" is the one who does not have the Spirit in him, thinks that the things of God are foolishness ( which those that are saved do not, please see 1 Corinthians 1:18 for a "thing of God" that we who are saved do not think is foolishness, the preaching of the cross ), is not able to discern the things of God because of the lack of the Spirit, and does not have the mind of Christ via the Holy Spirit...

Which is a vital ingredient to being able to understand His word.
    Otherwise, we are all still carnal men by nature, and at enmity with God in our hearts and minds.

In 1 John 2:20-27, we see that the Holy Spirit has been given to believers in order to know all things:

" But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
    21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.
    22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
    23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: [[but] he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also].
    24 Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.
    25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, [even] eternal life.

26 These [things] have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
    27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."
    ( 1 John 2:20-27 ).

What is an "unction"?
    It is an anointing.
    What have believers been anointed with?
    The Spirit of God.
    For what reasons?
    One of them is to teach us, while others are to prophesy, to do good works, to preach and to edify one another:

Psalms 105:15, Joel 2:28-29, Acts of the Apostles 2:16-21.
    Also see John 14:26 and many, many others.

Bringing it all back around, this agrees perfectly with what I see written in 1 Corinthians 2:6-16.

Therefore, the "natural man" as revealed in 2 Peter 2:12 and Jude 1:10 are not saved men, but are indeed unsaved men who do not have the Spirit of God within them.
    They can neither know the things of God as revealed in His word, nor can they understand them.
    They think that those things are foolishness.

False teachers ( 2 Peter 2 ) are like this, in that they are deceived, and the Lord calls them "natural"... and as brute beasts, they are made to be taken and destroyed ( cast into eternal Hell fire ).

My friends, it will be a horrifying thing to be a false teacher and a natural man, for they are those who actually hate God as revealed in the Scriptures;
    Many even think that they are saved and are not.
    They have never received the Spirit of God, that they might know the things that are freely given to us, as Christ's sheep.

My heart goes out to them, even though it is the Lord's will that these things be so.:Speechless

Finally, to answer the OP's title,

1 Corinthians 2:14 does indeed teach the inability of men, otherwise known as "Total Depravity", in that, without the Spirit of God, natural men think that the things of God ( God's word, God's righteousness, God's ways ) are foolishness, including the preaching of the cross ( 1 Corinthians 1:18 ).

Left to ourselves, we will always think that they are foolishness.

What makes us think they are foolishness?
    The rebellious spirit of man in us, and not the Spirit of God and the new heart that He has put within us as believers.

With His Spirit, we are able to discern the things of God, spiritually.
    Without it, we are not.

May God bless each and every one of you in your continued studies in His precious word.

#63 Dave G, Mar 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is still no such thing as inability. Catholics still think they are the only true church.
    MB

5. Rippon2

Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him." John 6:65

Without the enablement of the Father no one can come to Jesus. They have no ability of their own.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith. 2 Thess 3

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Literally, ". . . all men have not the faith."
    . . . ανθρωπων ου γαρ παντων η πιστις.
    Compare Jude1:3.

8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your Bible bersion is your problem because that isn't what the verse actually says. This is what it says;
    Joh 6:65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.
    Besides this Jn 6:65 was addressed to the disciples. Those men were hand picked by the Father Jn 12:32 clearly says :
    Joh 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
    All men means exactly that all men.
    No one book in the Bible was written is 5 minutes. Even Judas was drawn by the Father yet he was a devil
    MB

9. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was quoting from the NIV. Here, I will quote from Goodspeed's An American Translation
    "No one can come to me unless he is enabled to do so by the Father."

Or how about Norlie's Simplified New Testament
    So that is why I told you that no one can come to Me unless the Father enables him to do so."

Unless it is granted or given by the Father, no one can, nobody has the ability, to come to Jesus. People do not possess the power, the wherewithal, to come to Jesus unless the Father intercedes on their behalf.
    No, the 'disciples' here are the larger groups of people following Him, not the 12 minus 1. His original group known as the disciples in the stricter, narrower sense did not abandon him as verse 66 says.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Something we agree on.

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 2:14, ". . . the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them . . . ." Explain how that cannot be a total inablity?

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So we know there is clear debate as to who is the natural man. Let's put a pin in that for a moment. There remains two other questions. First, why cant the natural man receive the things of the Spirit of God? They come from the Spirit of God and apparently they are revealed to him so what is going on here? Second, why can't he know the things that have been revealed to him from the Spirit of God?

Nothing in that verse nor any other verse says total inability. It is imposed on those passages not exegeted. The natural man is always going to be a lost man but this passage is not focusing on the being lost is the reason why but the mind set of the lost and what is it that drives a lost man to reject that which the Spirit of God has revealed to them. It does not suggest that it is total inability but their refusal to accept the things of the Spirit of God.

Nothing says the lost man will not understand scripture unless God regenerates then first. It does say that they remain lost because the choose the wisdom of the world over the wisdom of the Spirit of God.

13. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because the carnal man can hear and understand the gospel. !st Cor 2 14 is speaking about the deeper things of God.
    1Co 2:10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God..
    We don't start out learning the deep things of God . We have to learn gradually by taking the milk first. before we can understand the meat.
    MB

14. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are Christians who are still in the flesh or natural. We only become Spiritual when we think Spiritually.
    MB

15. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    People who fall into the category of 1 Cor. 2:14 are unbelievers. They don't have the Spirit of God. They are not merely baby believers or new Christians. The immature Christians are characterized in chapter 3, verses 1 and 2. But 2:14 is centering on those opposing God. They regard the things of God as foolishness which links them up with those in 1 Cor. 1:18 who regard the message of the cross foolishness even as they are perishing. That cannot be said of any believer, young in the faith or having spiritual maturity. Since they don't have the Spirit of God they can't understand spiritual things. They have no discernment.

Those that rail against the clear teaching of God's Word on this matter have to be honest with themselves. You deny very plain doctrine here. It's not Ivory Tower stuff. The truth of God's Word is staring you in the face, yet you reject it. It should cause you to tremble.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been honest with my self and your judgement of me shows where your heart is You are being hypocritical who are you that you think you can Judge You and most Calvinist feel they are absolutely right but I'm here to tell you, your are wrong. God's word is staring you right in the face and you show no fear of God. I'm just handing it all right back at you. The whole of the tulip was made up by man. None of it is found in scripture.
    MB

17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do people refuse to here God's truth? Why do people who do not know God not seek God, Romans 3:11?

18. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could it be romans 3:10-20 This is what the lost say in there heart. The quote Paul is quoting. is from Psalms 14 They do not see them selves as guilty until someone shows them they are guilty of breaking God's Law. They see the saved as a bunch of fakers putting on a show.. It's why there are so many hell fire preachers in the world. The lost doesn't want to be told they are sinners. The first process of Salvation is conviction. The next is convincing them of a way out of sin. Jesus Christ is that way
    MB

19. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    The very person characterized in 1 Cor. 2:14 is lost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your saying it does not prove it.
    MB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.