1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 1 Corinthians 2:14 - How does God explain truth?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Skandelon, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Just as their are innumerable Christians who have read the 'truths' of doctrine, yet we have disagreement. That is why we call men responsible...they are able to respond freely to the revelation they have been given.

Because, the gospel ENABLES a respond, it doesn't do the responding. The person is response-able for that, not the revelation. We shouldn't put blame on the revelation for man's choice to 'trade clearly revealed truth for lies.'

And whose fault is that? God's? Did He fail to enable them? Matt. 23:37 and Rom 10:21 teach that God 'longed to gather them' and 'held out his hands to them all day long' but they chose to rebel. Scripture teaches that God is patient with them....but if what you believe is true what does God have to wait on? Himself?

Do you mean a GREATER work of the Holy Spirit than what was already provided in sending Christ, the apostles, the inspired scripture, his Holy Spirit and his Bride?

I agree. The Holy Spirit, like the Father, works through means. I believe those means are the Holy Spirit inspired words of scripture, the indwelling of messengers, the perseverance and continued proclamation of these inspired truths throughout the world. Anything the gospel accomplishes should be credited to the Holy Spirit, it is after all HIS WORK.

Whoa, think about what you just said...that is like saying the work of the Holy Spirit doesn't have to wait on the work of the Holy Spirit. Now, I agree that the Spirit can work in other ways and very possibly prior to the coming of the gospel, but I'd just be careful not to imply that the gospel itself is not a work of the HS.

We agree on these points, and indeed there may very well be other ways God softens the hearts of people. For example, he apparently uses envy to provoke the hearts of the hardened Jews (Rm 11:14). We just don't believe these means are irresistible and only for a preselect few.

2. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

permission to post?

I am trusting your word is good here and because you are a moderator on the forum that you are representing the view of the forum moderators/administrators. I have refrained from posting thus far because I would not intentionally violate previously expressed wishes that I do not post. So, I am taking a step of trust in your word that I can post.

In regard to the OP. You must remember that Paul is addressing human beings that still have remnants of the fallen nature and who can "yeild" (Rom. 6) to that fallen nature and act accordingly. He expressly states this in 1 Cor. 3:1-3 which immediately follows the text of the OP where he expressly describes their activity as representative of the fleshly (carnal) nature IN CONTRAST TO that which is "spiritual."

So regeneration does not change the character or inabilities of the fallen nature within regenerated persons (Rom. 8:7). This is the only nature found in the lost person (Rom. 8:8). In Galatians 5:16-25 we have both the "works" of the flesh listed in addition to the "fruit" of the Spirit. Both can be seen in true born again believers. However, the fruit of the Spirit originates with the born again new nature while the "works of the flesh" originate with the fallen nature still residing within believers.

I don't believe that anyone could logically argue that 1 Cor. 2:14 or Romans 8:7 or Galatians 5:17-19 are products of the born again nature as the new nature is created "in righteoussness and true holiness" (Eph. 4:24; Col. 3:10). What is described in these passages cannot possibly be described as "spiritual" or be attributed to the regenerated nature. Therefore, 1 Cor. 2:14 has no reference to the new creation within believers who are being addressed but has reference to something regeneration never changed and which remains the same before as well as after regeneration because regeneration is restricted to only one aspect of human nature (Jn. 3:6 - spirit) and not to his body or flesh (Rom. 7:14,18,24; Gal. 5:16-20). So contextually verse 14 is being applied to the FALLEN NATURE common in both the saved and lost.

CONCLUSION: 1 Cor. 2:14 can only apply to the "carnal" nature and what it says is in perfect consistency with the "carnal" mindset described in Romans 8:7 neither verses can possibly be attributed to the new spiritual nature. Hence, again we have characteristics of the fallen nature rather than some kind of third condition as the bible only knows of two STATES - (1) in the flesh; (2) in the Spirit and a child of God can operate in both STATES while those who are "none of his" can only operated "in the flesh" (Rom. 8:8).

Now, if this post is in violation of the forum administrators, I have only acted upon the word of Skandelon that I am now permitted to post as I would not intentionally violate their rules.

#22 Dr. Walter, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Skan apparently believes that Jesus Christ's teaching in John, particularly John 6, are only directed to those of Israel who were judicially hardened according to the prophecy of Isaiah. At least that is the position he took some months back!

4. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Skan as admitted that it has a personal and individual application as well and has admitted that Pharoah is an example of individual application (Rom. 9:16-18).

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

What in the world was Jesus Christ preaching while HE was here Skanselon?

Matthew 4:23. And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.

Mark 1:14, 15
    14. Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,
    15. And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The problem with Calvinism is in inference and extremes.

having said that - God said that He "convicts the WORLD of sin and righteousness and judgment" John 16 -- that is supernatural, unlimited and universal - like the Cross.

God said that "He draws ALL men unto Him" John 12:32 -- that is supernatural, unlimited and universal - like the Cross..

God said in Gen 3 that He "puts emnity between the see of the woman and the seed of the serpent" that also is supernatural, unlimited and universal - like the Cross.

It is a supernatural context for all the lost and the saved.

It is a "baseline" of the supernatural context in which we live - saved or not.

And that supernatural element is sufficient to enable all mankind with choice. It is sufficient to allow us to respond in repentance under conviction and confession under conviction and choosing to accept Christ... choosing belief in Christ.

After that comes the new Birth/regeneration etc.

Calvinism lumps everything "including the new birth" under one "supernatural" umbrella and so -- deprives the lost of it since clearly they are not born-again.

The web of Calvinism is woven very carefully. And it includes the fallacy that a large arbitrarily selected group of mankind is without any supernatural influence from God - apart from the New Birth.

But our response to it cannot be that we have agree with them that there is some large group of mankind living in an isolation chamber and apart from the supernatural work of God. That would be to swallow half of the fallacy that Calvinism is proposing.

When Arminians buy into Calvinist proposals - it can be a loss for the Arminian position.

in Christ,

Bob

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In the example I gave below - Ehrman is an example of an atheist living in the "context" of that world wide supernatural work of God - yet a lost person that chooses to reject the Gospel invitation - though fully enabled by the work of God - to accept it if he chooses.

8. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

The problem is that some on this forum do not believe regeneration occurred prior to Pentecost but is strictly a post-pentecost act of God. Thus they have a third type of human being exisitng prior to Pentecost. This third type is neither "in the flesh" or "in the Spirit" (Rom. 8:8-9). Hence, they have salvation prior to Pentecost that is OUTSIDE of Christ (when prior to Pentecost Jesus denied this - Jn. 14:6).

9. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

I don't want to get too far from this first post until it is clear I can post

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The OT saints of Hebrews 11 (the giants of Faith in the hall of Faith) had to be saved under the ONE gospel model.

In Gal 1:6-9 only ONE Gospel -- saved by grace through faith -- and the New Birth is key to the Gospel solution for sin.

In Gal 3:7-8 The ONE Gospel is preached to Abraham.

In Heb 4:1-2 "The Gospel was preached to US JUST as it was to them also"

and in 1Cor 10 they were drinking from a Rock "and that Rock (Petra) was Christ" for He was the one that they served and followed in the wilderness.

It is not necessary for the Arminian POV to reject these key Bible statements.

in Christ,

Bob

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Completely untrue. Unless one is born again they cannot see the kingdom of God. This applied just as much to those pre-cross as post.

Its these blatant misrepresentations that lead to completely fruitless dialogue.

12. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Welcome back brother.....another solid biblical post...Jesus taught the same truth here...it was revealed to Peter...by God:thumbsup::wavey::thumbs:

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And this is completely consistent with the Arminian POV - though I am sure many Calvinists also accept it as well. (R.C. Sproul certainly does.)

in Christ,

Bob

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    webdog

WD,

Nothing is being represented at all.Some on BB believe men are not regenerated until "after they first do something"...believe ,have or exercise faith...etc:wavey:

15. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Web, I agree with your position. However, there are some on this forum (at least two) that completely deny the new birth occurred prior to Pentecost. I know because I had to defend the new birth prior to Pentecost. I can go find the articles if you need to see them. I am not talking about posts a long time ago but recently within the last two months. These posters argued that John 3:3-5 and reference to "circumcison of the heart" in the Old Testament were prophetic only but were not applicable until after the cross and specifically not until Pentecost. I have no reason to lie about this as I presented several posts defending pre-Penteocost regeneration.

#35 Dr. Walter, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  16. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Glad to be back, thanks for the welcome

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman
    Scripture says they cannot...but you denying rom3:23..All sinned at one point in time...invent a wounded sinner with full ability...rather than a dead sinner:thumbsup:

We know no such thing...Cornelius was at this point an OT saint, like those in acts 19......

you deny romans 3 and 5 again.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Our flesh cannot inherit paradise, everyone from Adam on needs to be made new. Whether OT or NT, faith is the avenue one is born again. The Bible is crystal clear it is through faith one is justified. Its ridiculous to state one is made alive and not yet justified.

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Correct...I agree:wavey::wavey:

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Correct:thumbsup::thumbs::wavey: