1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 1 Corinthians 6:16-17

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Jun 10, 2022.

1. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 6:15-20

Don’t you realize that your bodies are actually parts of Christ? Should a man take his body, which is part of Christ, and join it to a prostitute? Never! And don’t you realize that if a man joins himself to a prostitute, he becomes one body with her? For the Scriptures say, “The two are united into one.” But the person who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with him. Run from sexual sin! No other sin so clearly affects the body as this one does. For sexual immorality is a sin against your own body. Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.

1 Corinthians 3:5-11

After all, who is Apollos? Who is Paul? We are only God’s servants through whom you believed the Good News. Each of us did the work the Lord gave us. I planted the seed in your hearts, and Apollos watered it, but it was God who made it grow. It’s not important who does the planting, or who does the watering. What’s important is that God makes the seed grow. The one who plants and the one who waters work together with the same purpose. And both will be rewarded for their own hard work. For we are both God’s workers. And you are God’s field. You are God’s building. Because of God’s grace to me, I have laid the foundation like an expert builder. Now others are building on it. But whoever is building on this foundation must be very careful. For no one can lay any foundation other than the one we already have—Jesus Christ.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, alternate interpretive translations miss the message.

3. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems like you are looking for an excuse to not follow what God says.

4. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat."

As males, did your wife tell you you were all saved, or did you make that choice on your own?

Or the literal application: did God use another human to convince you, that you were redeemed, and you just accepted that fact, or did you see the need yourself as a sinner, and make a decision to follow Christ?

The point is: was Adam's disobedience passive or active?

To now obey God as a sinner is that passive or active?

Does it make a difference? If God already redeemed everyone which is the possible default ability of God to do so, it is also our natural position in Adam that declares that redemption null and void. God already accomplished full redemption. Adam made it so no one could be redeemed.

We have a no win situation. Redemption is available, but doing nothing gets us nothing. So being passive is not avoiding work. Being passive is not making a decision about God's redemption, as the work was already done for us.

Adam did nothing, which got us into this condition in the first place, yes? Is eating work? Literally that was what the mouth is supposed to do to work, but is eating really a works mentality the same as physical labor or going beyond the call of duty? The Law that was broken is that Adam ate a certain fruit, not that Adam ate as in the act itself, even if considered work. There was a choice that Adam made, and no one forced Adam, even if Adam literally did no work at all to get to the point of a Choice he could make on his own without any coercion. Not even Eve's coercion.

So no one forced you to be redeemed, even if they convinced you that you should be redeemed.

The act of being in Christ is not even based on different Bible translations that change verbs from passive to active. The act of being in Christ is still a free will choice of every one that only they can make for themselves. A choice is not an actual work.

Every action we do implies that a choice was made first. No matter how much we try to deny that fact. A choice without works is dead. Life without a choice made is also just as dead.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seem like you are again attempting to make false charges to derail actual bible study.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry but the above claim is unbiblical fiction. We are put into Christ spiritually, not by our active choice to trust in Christ, but by God transferring us spiritually from the realm of darkness into Christ's kingdom. Colossians 1:13. 1 Corinthians 1:30.

All these claims of "automatic salvation" if we choose to trust in Christ are baloney. Were the second or third soils of Matthew 13 automatically saved. Of course not. The parable describes what God found lacking. So salvation does not depend on the person who wills or runs to be saved, but on God. Romans 9:16.

Now our choice does not merit salvation, as works merits consequences, but it does provide access per Romans 5:1-2. So while the wages of sin is death, the wages of faith is not salvation, but consideration for salvation. It is not whether a person believes all "the right things" but whether God chooses to credit the person's faith in Christ as righteousness, even though in His eyes their faith is like a filthy rag.

7. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are more wrong than those who follow calvinism. I never mentioned belief or believe once and then you turn my quote into something totally different than what I posted.

You push automatic salvation then declare automatic salvation is wrong.

God does not automatically birth you. Jesus said, "a person must be born again." Jesus did not say many will be born again.

There is a second birth that is spiritual. It is a free will choice. Doing nothing, not making a choice, debating one's opinions, nor God Himself automatically births one into God's family.

Put it this way if you can:

Redemption, the Atonement itself was for all, a done deal. All the work done by God.

Salvation is the free will choice. Salvation is the birth process. You still do nothing. You just choose to leave Adam's womb, and enter the birth canal. Then God pulls you out.

Your opinion is God literally does a C section and drags you out kicking and screaming. The majority of humanity are still in Adam's womb and die that way, ending up in sheol.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More false charges!!!
    Did I push automatic salvation? Nope.
    Did this false charger provide a quote? Nope

Then he says (or implies) atonement, Christ dying as a ransom for all, resulted in redemption for all. Complete nonsense.
    Listen and learn: Christ dying for all resulted in providing the means of salvation (propitiation) for the whole of humanity.
    But only those that "receive" the reconciliation are redeemed. Thus many are invited but few are chosen.

No person can "leave Adam's womb" by their own volition, it is God who performs the transfer.

"We are put into Christ spiritually, not by our active choice to trust in Christ, but by God transferring us spiritually from the realm of darkness into Christ's kingdom. Colossians 1:13. 1 Corinthians 1:30."

If it were otherwise, salvation would depend upon the person who wills...

9. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Austin a major stumbling block for you is your arrogance. You pontificate on what you think scripture means and deny what it actually says. You have an astounding ability to ignore what a person has written and then claim to know what they really meant to say.

The fact that I post scripture in response to your false claims must really bother you as you do seem to go over the top when you make your comments. If you are going to make a comment about me then at least be honest about it.

You will continue to ignore or twist any scripture that does not fit your narrative. That is your right.

While you can question what I say you should stop questioning what God has said.

10. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the key to your negativity.

How is making a free will choice a willful act?

A choice is not forcing one's self onto God. Adam did not force himself into disobedience.

A choice is accepting something offered. A choice is not demanding one's own rights.

Pop culture is from Satan and has all deceived into confusion.

The Atonement is the redemption of the Cross. You cannot manufacture the gift of this Covenant provided by God, especially not by choice of your right to demand God anything.

You are confusing a free will choice with Satan's version he offered Eve. Satan convinced Eve it was her right and choice to demand knowledge from God by disobedience and eating from the tree. Then you directly relate Eve's act with a free will choice to accept the Atonement of the Cross.

Then you conflate that with Salvation. You call Salvation what Jesus did on the Cross. The Atonement of the Lamb was already a done deal, and every human was redeemed and written in the Lamb's book of life before creation itself. Before Adam was created, all in Adam were already redeemed.

The Atonement and redemption was already declared and worked out before any were physically born and could of a free will accept Salvation. Salvation is the act of accepting one was redeemed already prior to creation.

You do not even point out that God already decided. Predestination was the first act on all of humanity, not the last step in the process where God finally got around to choose you without your consent. You lost all rights to the process before creation.

All you can do is accept the gift. That is the moment Salvation happens, a new birth into God's family. And it is a free will choice, because it is not against your will, and certainly accepting is not against God's will.

Until you settle that point, it is useless to talk about the work of the Holy Spirit or faith.

11. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to you it is automatic. We literally have no say in the matter or choice. You render choice null and void as that is making a demand.

Who wills what?

#91 timtofly, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians3:8 (NLT)
    The one who plants and the one who waters work together with the same purpose. And both will be rewarded for their own hard work.

This is an interpretation of what Paul intended when he wrote "...who waters are one.

Many times Paul uses that Greek word which literally mean a singularity, i.e. one, to mean "one." but Paul also uses the word to mean someone or something unified or made into one from more than one. For example Christ's spiritual body is made up of many parts but is unified in one Spirit.

This act of unification is the meaning in the following verses: Romans 12:4, Romans 12:5, 1 Corinthians 3:8, 1 Corinthians 6:16, 1 Corinthians 6:17, 1 Corinthians 10:16, 1 Corinthians 10:17, 1 Corinthians 12:12, 1 Corinthians 12:16, Galatians 3:28,
    Ephesians 2:14, and Ephesians 5:31.

The mistake, in my opinion, of the NLT choice in 1 Corinthians 3:8, is they connected it with Paul's thought in Philippians 2:2, i.e. one purpose. But that context has like mindedness, not being unified with Christ's spiritual body in view.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First a false charge, "your negativity."
    A free will choice, is not a non-choice, i.e. choosing the only option available. Thus a willing or volitional choice. I do not use the term "free will" but say the lost have "limited autonomous will."
    The atonement is not Christ's death on the cross nor being redeemed. Please address my post.
    I am confusing nothing, stop hurling idiotic false charges like a sand lot bully.
    I said nothing about Eve being deceived, stop with all these idiotic false assertions.
    Of course I do not say God chose individuals before creation, that is just another false doctrine of Calvinism.
    You sir are wasting my time, ignoring my posts, making false charges, and asserting false doctrine.

You seem to have removed Romans 4 from your bible.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another post of false claims, trying to derail the thread.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians3:8 (NLT)
    The one who plants and the one who waters work together with the same purpose. And both will be rewarded for their own hard work.

This is an interpretation of what Paul intended when he wrote "...who waters are one.

Many times Paul uses that Greek word which literally mean a singularity, i.e. one, to mean "one." but Paul also uses the word to mean someone or something unified or made into one from more than one. For example Christ's spiritual body is made up of many parts but is unified in one Spirit.

This act of unification is the meaning in the following verses: Romans 12:4, Romans 12:5, 1 Corinthians 3:8, 1 Corinthians 6:16, 1 Corinthians 6:17, 1 Corinthians 10:16, 1 Corinthians 10:17, 1 Corinthians 12:12, 1 Corinthians 12:16, Galatians 3:28,
    Ephesians 2:14, and Ephesians 5:31.

The mistake, in my opinion, of the NLT choice in 1 Corinthians 3:8, is they connected it with Paul's thought in Philippians 2:2, i.e. one purpose. But that context has like mindedness, not being unified with Christ's spiritual body in view.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is 1 Peter 1:21 (NASB)
    who through Him are believers in God, who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.

Here the false claim is made the through Jesus, God instilled faith in the believers of God by means of "irresistible grace." This false Calvinist doctrine has no actual support anywhere is scripture, including our verse. The actual idea is that Christ's birth, life, sacrificial death, and resurrection provides the basis for believing in God. Calvinism is a relic of the dark ages and should be consigned to the dust bin of history.

17. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    So far you are the only one hurling assertions and accusations. I guess if that is all you have, obviously it is a one sided conversation.

If the truth derails a thread, then perhaps it was on the wrong track.

Your OP is a complaint about different translations.

I was actually trying to have a decent conversation on why it should be passive.

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have got to be kidding.
    You said I said salvation was automatic. That was your trying to have a decent conversation?
    Yes the OP says many, near a third, of our English translations mistranslated 1 Corinthians 6:17.

19. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you offered no explanation. Your whole argument still seems to be based totally on God. How is that not automatic?

You could at least point out your side of the issue.

Why is there a big issue with free will? It does have a dictionary definition.

I grew up with the fact of free will offerings in church.

Was that a passive active way of forcing people to give against their will?

20. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does the NASB say anything different than the ESV?
    1 Peter 1:20-21

He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but was made manifest in the last times for the sake of you who through him are believers in God, who raised him from the dead and gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.

Or the NLT?
    1 Peter 1:20-21

God chose him as your ransom long before the world began, but he has now revealed him to you in these last days. Through Christ you have come to trust in God. And you have placed your faith and hope in God because he raised Christ from the dead and gave him great glory.

In other words... what's your point???