1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 1 John 5:1 we become Sons of God after believing, Regeneration after Faith

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by revmwc, Apr 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Here is what I mean.

Faith in the sense of Salvation

Ephesians 2:8 & 9

Faith=pisteos

Thayer’s uses pistis conviction of the truth of anything, belief

Mounce states that this is firm belief

Faith in the sense of Faithfulness

Ephesians 4:5

εις κυριος μια πιστις εν βαπτισμα

Now the word pistis is used and there can be several uses for that word,

We this also in

Galatians 5:22

ο δε καρπος του πνευματος εστιν (5719) αγαπη χαρα ειρηνη μακροθυμια χρηστοτης αγαθωσυνη πιστις

Faith=pistis=faithfulness

Thayer=2. Fidelity, Fatihfulness

Mounce uses pistis as the word but uses the definition as faithfulness

faith, belief, firm persuasion, 2 Cor. 5:7; Heb. 11:1; assurance, firm conviction, Rom. 14:23; ground of belief, guarantee, assurance, Acts 17:31; good faith, honesty, integrity, Mt. 23:23; Gal. 5:22; Tit. 2:10; faithfulness, truthfulness, Rom. 3:3; in NT faith in God and Christ, Mt. 8:10; Acts 3:16, et al. freq.; ἡ πίστις, the matter of Gospel faith, Acts 6:7; Jude 3

So in the case of Ephesians 4:5 and Galatians 5:22 these are used as Faith in the promises of God or Faithfulness, and not as giving saving Faith? Would that be Correct (John)?

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since we are both pretty much on the same side here, I'm not real sure of why you are addressing me on this thread. I think I agree with you on faith, but I really avoid this Cal/Arm forum usually--unless a juicy thread on the Greek comes up. :)

3. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Well I have been told that since 4 or 5 on here have shown me the error of my ways as they put it and have accused me of misinterpretation of the Greek language I was asking your opinion on what they have accused me of misinterpreting. Thank you for your time and response.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this is one area where Calvinists and the rest of us will never agree, and there are always those who put others down.

Having said that, please be careful with the Greek. I'm sure there are various other arguments you can put forth without referencing the Greek. (Try Luke 7:30 or 10:31, for example.) Several of these men are quite educated in the Greek, and if you quote from Strong's, Thayer's and other outdated sources, or draw the wrong conclusions from the grammar in an interlinear, they will certainly let you know. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning:
    Some time after 10 PM Pacific, this thread will be closed.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.