1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

#1 Pick in NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Jan 5, 2006.

?
  1. Reggie Bush

75.0%
  2. Vince Young

18.8%
  3. Matt Leinart

6.3%
  4. Other (Please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

If you have the first pick in the NFL Draft who do you select?

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Leinart. He could be as good as Troy Aikman. I wish Dallas would trade up to get him.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the way, from what I understand the sports fans in Houston are really talking up how the Texans should draft their hometown hero - Young. The Texans may have to in order to avoid alienating their fan base. Just imagine how riled up they would be if Young went to another NFL team and had a stellar career there.

4. PastorSBC1303

Personally, I think all 3 of them may just be top notch NFL players for a long time. I think right now, Leinhart might be the best suited to come in and make an impact for a team. But I think in the right situation Young can be a star in the league.

5. PastorSBC1303

I don't think it is going to matter who the Texans have as QB, they need Offensive line help. Young might not get sacked as much as Carr or Leinhart, but no one is going to be successful until they fix that awful line.

6. wwr 82

wwr 82 New Member

Carr is not that bad of a qb, no O-Line in houston is the problem. He's only 25 and would need to be traded first before they could draft V.Y.

Pick # 3 belongs to Tenn. with Jeff fisher- Coach and USC grad, Norm Chow- O coord and the old usc O-coord, then throw in an old steve mcnair, tells me Leinart to the titans

If young comes out, he's #1 no doubt about it.

7. NateT

NateT Member

I chose "other"

I don't see any of the bottom 5 teams who are just one step away from a great season. So I'd trade my #1 spot to someone who needed a topnotch RB, and didn't mind giving up 4 or 5 picks in the process.

But the fans don't get riled up about acquiring some outstanding LT or RG or 4 2nd round selections. They like to think that Reggie Bush, or VY or Leinart is the answer to their question.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he's traded I wouldn't mind seeing Dallas getting Carr.

9. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Leinart will probably go first.
    Pure passers usually go first.

If you asked me who I would pick, it would be the more exciting Young.

In a game that's run, run, pass, punt, the guy would really open things up.

MR

10. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

I just hope that my Steelers get the last pick.

11. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Looking pretty good, Jack!

12. Convicted by the Spirit

I have heard the GM of the Texans on the air the other day while driving to school. From his statements I would say the Texans will not be taking a QB, they have a lot of faith in David Carr. If they stay with the top pick then they will take Bush. Young's performance set this city (Houston) on fire, I have read a lot of posts on boards how fans will dump their season tickets for this year if the Texan's don't draft Young. My response is that Young could become a great QB in this league, but QB's are the hardest position to judge coming in to the draft. RB's are the safe bet, even safer is an OL.

If I was drafting I would trade down a few spots and pick up the offensive lineman from Virgina. You gotta know that the 49er's want Bush and they will over pay for the draft pick to get him.

13. PastorSBC1303

Convicted, I think if I was making the call for Houston, I would be tempted to do just what you state. I would consider trading down to get that OL from Virginia. The Texans have a good young core in Carr, Andre and Dominick Davis. But they will never get anywhere unless they beef up that line.

But goodness, Bush is awful hard to pass up as well. It is a tough call. It will be interesting to see what they do with that pick.

14. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I stil think that you win in this league with STARS - and for that reason the Texans should take bush, then try to upgrade the line through free agency and 2nd and third round draft choices. Very good linement are drafted in later rounds each year, but a talent like bush does not fall into your lap often. I think that Carr is a good qb when he is able to stay upright.

On the other hand - a columnist in the Dallas Morning News this morning was talking about Vince Young, his take is that young is a smarter version of Randall Cunningham with a funky throwing motion. Cunningham was unbelieveable for most of his NFL career, if young can match that look out.

15. NateT

NateT Member

How about this, the Texans draft Young, but...as a RB. The guy is something like 6'6" and 230+ That's bigger than almost every running back in the league. (It could be bigger than some linebackers.) Then, you could always run the HB pass, and have young be your second string QB.

I know it would never happen, but I just think it would be really cool if they did.

16. PastorSBC1303

Nate interesting thoughts, but as you said it would never happen.

I actually think Vince Young could be a better QB than Randall Cunningham. I just hope he does not go to the Saints. He may never make it out alive.

I think the perfect spot for Young would be with the Titans. He could sit behind McNair for a year, learn the system and the NFL and then could step in and play effectively. Much the same plan that the Bengals used successfully with Carson Palmer.