1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 1 Samuel 28: Was the witch of Endor really able to summon spirits.....?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by canadyjd, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be interesting for both you guys to answer the question: Was John the Baptist Elijah? .....

And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elijah who was to come
    .[Matthew 11:14].

And so they asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?” And he *said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” And he answered, “No” [John 1:21].

• Like Like x 1
  2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was John the reincarnation of Elijah? No.

He is metaphorically Elijah. I've never really thought about it more than that.

But who appeared with Jesus in the Transfiguration? Moses and Elijah. Moses said that there would be a prophet like unto him, meaning Jesus. And Malachi foretold the coming of Elijah, meaning John the Baptist.

Moses brought the law, the law-giver fulfilled it.

Elijah brought the Spirit, and Spirit makes way for the law-giver.

Jesus is greater than Moses, and John is greater than Elijah.

Those are just my initial thoughts. I could be mistaken. I think it's certain that the Baptist is more than just similar to Elijah in their austerity and the political climate and other things.