1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 1 Tim 3:1-3

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by evangelist6589, Oct 22, 2014.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - Somehow totally missed this but CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Why were you not allowed with your wife? I'd have dragged you in by the hair if you were my husband! Even though I had c-sections, I was so grateful to have my husband present at the births.

But regardless!! A sweet baby boy!! How are you all doing? I just worked with and counseled a new mom through the first weeks of torture with a newborn. LOL Those first weeks are HARD!!

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not a problem in textual criticism but in translation. I checked Nestles, Scrivener's TR and the Byzantine Textform, and they are all the same.

When reading the KJV you must read it with 1611 understanding. If you lived then, "given to wine" would make perfect sense because of the commonality of the idiom "given to...."

#22 John of Japan, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2014
  3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congratulations! A future Greek scholar. :applause:

4. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No Doubt that drunkedness is a sin.

What about Deuteronomy 14:26 How do you understand that passage? Yes, I am asking seriously here

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Marooncat. Welcome to the Baptist Board. :wavey:I hope you will be blessed and that you will bless others.
    Concerning your question, it doesn't quite fit in this thread. This forum of the BB is for issues of Bible translation, not areas of personal conviction. So, if you are really curious about the opinion of BB denizens about your question, you might want to start a thread about it in "General Baptist Discussions." Be prepared, though. Threads on alcohol tend to get heated.