1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 10 Misconceptions of the RCC

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Sanitation is required. If a person had a medical problem, even choking, I am sure that things would be quickly cleaned up and properly disposed of. There is a tad too much sarcasm that has entered into this thread, in fact so much that I fear that no Catholic will even bother to answer any longer. With that attitude the thread might as well be closed. Debate needs to have some civility to it on both sides.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do that then....or allow TS to gather up those questions & ask some catholic Bishop to respond. A RC is very keen on the wafer being turned into the actual body & blood, right. What if an incident did occur.... what is the procedure for wafer/host disposal? I would like to know.

Speaking of that, my east European family had the tradition of the Christmas wafer.....they had it blessed by a priest so the father of the house could provide a mass (of sorts) / That side of the family lived on a farm far away from the RC Church so with mulled wine they made on the premises (usually elderberry, blueberry) & it would be heated & the wafer, the dinner became a solemn religious occasion. Id like to know it that is still sanctioned by the RCC.

Attached below is a Wiki explaining the "Wafer" tradition. Also I found on line the St. Ann pilgrimages held each year in July. I also recall going to outside open court Stations of the Cross around Easter week. Just attaching, these as a reference point for baptists unfamiliar with Catholic traditions. Note most of these are brought here by different Europeans....you will have to look hard to find them in modern America today (but they are still in some ethnic cities & towns)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_wafer

http://www.stannsmonasterybasilica.org/novena.html

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

So, what Baptist Board rules have been broken? I reread the entire thread. There are no personal attacks, no questioning salvation, only negative comments against the organization, the RCC. I have seen thread after thread where you have interacted with Catholics, and have attacked the posters personally. One time you told them they had no right to be here, and their presence was a favor from you. So again, what rules were broken in this thread? I do not recall a rule that says there is a line at which there is too much sarcasm. If I came on a Catholic Board and started a thread, ten misconceptions of the Baptist faith, what kind of reponse do you think I would get? The RCC is not even a religion, but a cult. So when did you start taking up for them?

While we are talking about it, what about the poster who has questioned people's salvation for six months now because they voted for or supported Romney? Why is that person still here? Maybe enforce the rules that exist, then worry about the ones that do not.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your probably just poking fun Saterneptune, but you are acting juvenile in your attempt to be lighthearted. Both TS & Walter have seriously made a decision (for what ever reason) to convert from Baptist theology to Roman Catholicism. I have to respect that they believe this to be the perceived best decision for their spiritual growth however I would have to disagree with their assessment. I would prefer that we use civility to dialog with them in-order to bring them back to the Baptist....at least to get them to move in the direction of seriously considering the options, & I respectively do not believe that acting disparagingly does any of us any good in the mature Christian department.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Point is well taken. I guess since it took me so long to move from a Presbyterian mindset to Baptist it is beyond my imagination of not only the opposite direction, by way past the Presbyterian church. Actually, I will thank you for the comment, and hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas.

6. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Absolutly nothing in the OP diminishies anything regarding the state of the Catholic "church"

The Catholic false church remains a false church. They are no less a false church.then the Jehohovas wittnesses, the mormans, the ultra liberal protestants, etc etc. The catholic church is overflowing with heresy, blasphemy, and false teaching.

#86 Alive in Christ, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012
  7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK well these are blanket statements AiC. It would be far more constructive to back your statements up with some clarifying statement....IE, if they are false, then why are they false.... then nail it shut with some scripture.

I could very well retaliate with a statement like, John Kerry is a RC, the Kennedy's are all Roman Catholics....so why would the United States allow them access to lofty political positions? Now thats obvious deflection but it is a argument (based in fact).....what your doing however is a supposition until you attempt to make an argument for your commentary....till then, it falls short. Right!

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A very Merry Christmas to you & yours as well Brother! :love2:

9. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

10. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are you serious! This site is laughable. :laugh: You really use this as evidence? Two exambles: The baptism of Bells. Of course, bells were not baptised (that is reserved for human beings), but the rite used in the blessing of them bore many similarities to the sacrament, so it was called that by some people, but (and, of course, the site does not point this out) the Catholic Church never had a rite called ''The Baptism of Bells''.
    And wax candles introduced in church. Oh, horror of horrors! Why didn't they just add some floodlights???

Posting a link like this adds no credibility to your position against Catholicism. Chick Publications prints the same kind of nonsense that most people can see through. I would hope you could find better ''evidence'' against the Church than this. James White presents better ''evidence'' against the Church. I suggest you go to Youtube and enter his name in the search engine ánd you will get material that has some credibility.

#90 Walter, Dec 22, 2012
  11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This may sound weird, but I was toying with asking if the Ave Maria....in Bach's Gounod is appropriate for my own funeral....but it is the "Hail Mary" after all correct? Also dont see anything wrong with wax candles. Lastly I wear a ring with a cross on it--that isnt heresy.

#91 Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 22, 2012
  12. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

:laugh::laugh:You pick two out of 40 or so and think you are home free. I don't know about the bells but the candles. Why do those of the RCC burn candles for people. Is there some magic associated with it or was it instituted to enrich some candlemaker friend of the pope?:laugh::laugh:

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh ....your objecting to the lighting of a candle for a soul in purgatory. Yes, thats not cool if its to collect money for a soul the Catholics claim is in a purgative state. Thats akin to indulgences....and as the saying goes......"As soon as a coin in the coffer rings / the soul from purgatory springs"

14. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Isn't it obvious to you that that if they are making accusations, such as, the ''baptism of bells' as a Catholic heresy and belief, and I show you that it isn't even a part of the faith, that all that was happening was bells being set apart (blessed) for use in worship, that there is a problem with the site? Doesn't it amount to false accusations? And the ''heresy'' of wax candles? The symbolism is like the psalm says ''let your prayer rise up to heaven like incense'', and as in the Scripture, flame is always a sign of the presence of the Lord. It is just visible outward sign of the inward attitude of prayer. That's it. I appreciate sincere efforts to correct my theology, but this kind of site isn't going to convince any Catholic who knows the teaching of the Church. As I said, Alpha & Omega Ministries and the efforts of James White are much more credible and don't resort to the kind of nonsense of the site posted. I study both pro & anti-Catholic info, but I don't take sites like this seriously.

Chick Publications actually publishes the ''Fr.'' Alberto tracts that were proven to be a hoax and made up of blatant lies by a man who claimed to be a priest and, in fact, was proven to have never been ordained a Catholic priest. When people resort to making up ''evidence'' in an effort to refute Catholicism, it really makes one wonder. WHY? And, btw, I've never seen anyone on this site post a link to any ''Chick Publications'' info in relation to Catholicism (or anything else), I hope no one on this site would use such material as ''truth''.

#94 Walter, Dec 22, 2012
  15. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Better not have this guy sing 'Ave Maria', :laugh::

http://seoaware.com/2007/09/06/frid...ed-dont-let-a-crackhead-sing-at-your-funeral/

#95 Walter, Dec 22, 2012
  16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Actually the historian Thomas Armitage documents how Pope John XIV baptized a bell. So it did happen. Protestants have mocked it ever since, and understandably so.

#96 DHK, Dec 22, 2012
  17. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you have a link to this information?

A priest blesses a bell by having holy water poured over it. It was only called the baptism of bells some time after it got started because it did appear that the priest was baptizing the bell, but he wasn't. Any object can be blessed, a blessing being a dedication of a thing to a sacred purpose. The ceremony used in the blessing of the bells was reminiscent in some ways of the ceremony used in baptism, so in popular usage it came to be called the "baptism of bells," though no one thought the bells were actually receiving a sacrament

I have tried to find a reference to Pope John XXIII baptising a bell but haven't found one. Is it something Armitage wrote in 'History of the Baptists'?

#97 Walter, Dec 22, 2012
  18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Sorry, wrong pope. It was Pope John XIV.
    http://www.homecomers.org/mirror/martyrs033.htm

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This too is also very superstitious, and is not just a "simple blessing."
    http://www.thefullwiki.org/Baptized#biblewiki_XVI__CEREMONIES_OF_BAPTISM

The bishop prays that these sacramentals of the Church may, at the sound of the bell, put the demons to flight.

Please, don't tell me you believe in such superstition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.