1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1942 USCGC Icarus versus U-352 in torpedo alley, Updated episode

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Squire Robertsson, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For many years we had a gentleman who served His Lord doing tasks to help present our facility as a clean, well maintained place of worship. Years later I learned he had served in our submarines during WWII. Near Seal Beach, in Southern California there is a memorial for the "52." These are the Navy Submarines lost during WWII. Recently one of them was located (I think it was the Grayback, but my memory fails me at times.) When I visit there, I think of those men, who would be much like my dear friend, doing his job no matter what...

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very interesting!! love learning new tidbits of knowledge of WWII.
    I was born in Oct of '36, so my memories of the war are piecemeal, but I sure have never heard of the "torpedo alley" situation.
    I can remember the Air Raid Wardens, blackouts etc, but I grew up with that so it never meant much to me, but the more I learn the more I appreciate those warriors that went before me!!
    Thanks for the clip!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the walk down memory lane. I was born in 1943 so have no first hand memory of WWII. However, during the Korean Conflict I can remember a large gun on the roof of a power substation near our home. And of course the bomb shelters along side the aircraft assembly buildings at Douglas. Years later, I visited where shore gun batteries were located to protect the Long Beach/LA harbor, with its navy facilities.

• Like Like x 1