1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2 Peter 3:9

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Southern, Oct 23, 2004.

1. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

You're right, Wes, Christians aren't a nationality. This thread is about 2 Peter 3:9, to which you agree that it is written to believers.

The "us" statement is about us believers. In the second clause the statement, "any," is necessarily delimited by this "us," so that it must refer to "any of us."

You said you "shot down Calvin" in your previous post, but, by quoting John 6, you ended up agreeing with Calvin, with whom you say you disagree.

You say, "All I'm saying is that by limiting the word of God to ones own perspective only limits one's own understanding of God's word. " I agree, but it is equally as important not to read your assumptions into the text. There are plenty of places where the context of such references as "any" and "all," and "the world," can not always be unlimited as you would suggest. To say otherwise is to go beyond the scope of the text itself.

2. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Gene, I don't believe that I have in any way limited God's word. There may have been an "elect" when the Old Testament was written, but with the New covenent, and the fact that Israel, God's elect, did not receive Jesus,the Messiah, "the elect whose names are written in the lambs book of life from the foundation of the world has changed scope to include All who have faith in God the son, the Messiah, Jesus.

The quoting of John 6 is neither approval nor disapproval of Calvin. I am neither Calvinist nor Arminian, though leaning toward Arminius. I believe both have solid biblical basis for their positions. But, both of them were mere mortal men whose opinions are just that...opinions!

3. Southern

Southern New Member

Wes,
    Please go to the John 6:37 forum. Your assertion about verse 40 shows a total lack of familiarity with a reformed understanding of election. No one denies that people do believe, but the question is who are the ones that do believe. Verse 37 answers that for you. Please go to the John 6:37 and explain how the giving to the Son "precedes" the coming to the Son in Faith.
    Anyways, enough about that in this forum.

You showed no serious effort to interact with the exegesis that I offered from 2 Peter. Would you explain why the "us" should be taken as mankind in general?
    And critique the overwhelming evidence that I have supplied.

May God bless...

John Newton used to tell a whimsical story, and laugh at it, too, of a good woman who said, in order to prove the doctrine of election, "Ah! sir, the Lord must have loved me before I was born, or else He would not have seen anything in me to love afterwards."
    -C.H. Spurgeon

4. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Southern,
    I really don't give a rip about "re-formed understanding of election". I do care about what the scriptures say to me! And so far, what you've been saying about the scriptures does not square with the clear text!