1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2 Peter 3:9

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe I was born saved. I was born a sinner like the rest of mankind.

I placed my faith in Christ to become saved, but the reason I did that, the Bible says, is that I was elected in Christ before the foundation of the world...before I ever existed. At the proper time (according to God's timing) I was regenerated and responded to the Gospel and Christ and was saved.

What does that have to do, though, with your previous statement which I thought was anachronistic? I'm having a rough time wrapping my mind around your argument.

Blessings,

The Archangel

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Oh, I understand what irresitible grace is, and that it is false. I pushed God away more times than I can think of(and not proud of it either).

Now to not hijack this thread. How can anyone correlate Matt. 19:16-22 with John 6:44? It states in Matt. 19 that "one came and said unto Him.....", so how can someone/anyone articulate these two with one another?

I look forward to any and all replies!! I love you all!!

i am I am's!!

Willis

Willis

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Irresistible grace wins out. How many times do you think Saul of Tarsus kicked against the goads?

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I bolded a portion of your post to address it. If it is "irresistible", then why did Saul even kick once? If it was "irresistible", he would have said "yea Lord" the first time. However, very few of us say "yea Lord" the first time He visits us. Or at least I didn't say it the first time He came to me. So if he didn't say "yea Lord" the first, or even second time, then he must have "resisted", right? I am just saying......

Now, again. How can anyone correlate Matt. 19:16-22 with John 6:44???

I'll be waiting for any and all replies. Thanks in advance.

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I'll answer your questions as soon as you answer my post before you went irresisitible grace on me in the midst of election. You skipped my entire post.

Fair enough?

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

An example of a militant Calvinist, out to convert non-Calvinists to Calvinism.

7. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist

You have not demonstrated that you understand irresistible grace. You may reject it, and that's fine. However, you are caricaturing it, falsely, I might add.

So, while I absolutely accept and celebrate your right to disagree with and reject irresistible grace, you should have the courtesy to paint an accurate portrait of what it is.

Blessings,

The Archangel

8. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a false comparison. It is like comparing a square and a circle, suggesting they are the same thing.

Unfortunately, in the Matthew passage, you are ignoring vs. 23-30 which give a great understanding to the context of the vs 16-22.

So, until we are comparing apples to apples or oranges to oranges, you will have to go without an answer, because there is no such thing as an "appleorange."

Blessings,

The Archangel

9. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    TC!

Friend, is this all of us?

Blessings,

The Archangel

PS. On a completely different subject--I know you are fond of the TNIV, are you looking forward to the NIV2011?

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Willis,
    here is your answer to mt22 given under the chapter dealing with effectual calling, read ,learn, and enjoy!
    this comes from the 1689 baptist confession of faith which you can read or save to your 'favorites' if you would like;
    Also Willis......you made a wrong statement earlier saying that Jesus does not send anyone to hell.....they send themselves.
    this false view contradicts so many clear verses as Mt 7:21-24, mt25 rev20 jn 3:17-18

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Then again.....it could just be believers seeking to be faithful to their Lord and correcting error that seeks to give full ability ,power, and glory to the dead sinner, and who seek to undermine [in their own philosophical and emotional worldview ] the true and living God who has revealed Himself as the Great Sovereign....

12. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

This is a subfallacy

Here is your syllogism..

God knows who all the elect are.
    God is pleading in this passage.

This cannot be the elect.

Poor logic

TRUTH:
    The passage is talking about the 2nd coming…
    1This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:​
    2 That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:

SNIP...

9The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

10But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

11Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,

12Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

13Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
    So…the "slack concerning his promise" is the promise of his 2nd coming.
    Who is waiting on the 2nd coming?

Believers are waiting on the 2nd coming in this passage. The " us-ward" (KJV)…the ones waiting for His return are the ones he is talking to.

Or in the ESV…the "patient toward YOU"…the YOU is the ones waiting on his return.

Now could it be that it is talking about the Jews waiting on their Messiah?

Verse 2 will not ALLOW this.

Notice why Paul wrote these things…
    1,2 ....In both of them I am stirring up your sincere mind by way of reminder, 2 that you should remember the predictions of the holy prophets and the commandment of the Lord and Savior through your apostles,
    You have two groups here in the 1st few verses. This two verse is talking to the BELIEVERS.

Notice they are to REMEMBER what CHRIST and the PROPHETS and the APOSTLES said. Paul says he wants them to remember to "stirring up your sincere mind". Paul is not talking to non-believers here.

Verse 3…is the non-believers. "knowing this first of all, that scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own sinful desires"

Scoffers..= non-believers

Verse 4 says they will ask…"Where is the promise of his coming?"

Why do they ask this?
    Well, Christ said (verse 2) such words as this…
    "And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power".
    verse 5-8 Paul tells of all the things the non-believers had forgot about.

NOW VERSE 9.
    The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you
    Paul is saying….FORGET what the scoffers are saying. REMEMBER (Verse2)..what Christ said.

Who is he talking to? toward YOU…the Believers.
    not wishing that any (believer) should perish, (( or Gods main goal is not a focus on the death of the elect...Some will indeed die)) ......but .....((the focus is and the reason why some will die is God is waiting to fulfill the FULL PROMISE...verse 4..)..... that all (the elect would be born and..) should reach repentance.
    MY WORDS underlined are ADDED.

When this was written, all of the elect had not been born.
    God is not only waiting for the last to be born, but for them also to believe.

Then the Kingdom is complete.

#72 Jarthur001, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
  13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All those who enter torment justly for their sins, were never part of the covenant death and saving atonement that Jesus accomplished for those given to him by the Father.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How can you be "in Christ" before actually being in Christ? We are in Christ via faith, unless you had faith in Christ before the foundation of the world, which would make you really old :)

15. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

OK, your answer is NO, that is about the only thing I understood. Can you simplify for me.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

While I don't agree with your perceived "sub fallacy"...the same problem remains in your understanding. Why is He being patient, "waiting" for them to believe when He is the one regenerating, giving repentance and faith? He would have to be waiting on Himself using your soteriology.
    Also, it defies any kind or grammar and reason to state He doesn't want any of His elect to perish, as by definition of "elect" it is IMPOSSIBLE for any of them to perish!

17. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I'm not all that old (though I feel it--bad knees and bad back), I think you are missing what the text is saying. Ephesians 1:4 clearly says "He (God) chose us." "Chose us" is the main verb and it is clearly describing God's action. When did He do the choosing? Before the foundation of the world. How did He do it? In Christ. Why did He do it? That we should be holy and blameless before Him.

Now, Ephesians, and other books, talk about the concept of "In Christ." There is a union between Christ and His elect (those chosen by God). Now, this union is a bit mystical and difficult to explain but it is clear that Jesus uniquely represents His elect before God. So, when Jesus was on the cross it is as if all of His elect were on the cross. When He was in the grave it is as if all His elect were in the grave. When He rose from the dead it is as if all His elect were raised from the dead.

This is why Paul says

And in 1 Corinthians, Paul writes:

So, there is a union and we enter into this union not by our own will, but by God's choosing.

The Archangel

18. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I addressed this...

The last lines of the post...

:)

19. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those are some wonderful truths that have given great comfort and joy to God's people down through the ages. Thanks Archangel.

20. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Ooops..I overlooked this.

No one can say this is not believers he is speaking of. The context DEMANDS IT

The debate lies in one word.

PERISH

The way I read it, as I said before....is this way...
    UNDERLINE MY WORDS

To me its clear. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.