1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2 Peter 3:9

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Thank you. I agree!

Odd analogy, but if I understand what you are saying, I agree!

On this point I disagree. I believe they are the same event.

I do not completely agree.

I believe that when the Gospel is preached, the Holy Spirit will illuminate those who have a willing heart and then this person has a choice to make, accept or reject the Gospel of Christ.

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I challenge either of you to prove from the scriptures that the Greek word 'sozo', translated 'save' [read deliver] is synonymous with the birth from above, or the acquiring of eternal life. I personally know of only two instances in the NT in which I am convinced that the word in intended in the eternal sense:

....made us alive together with Christ (by grace have ye been saved) Eph 2:5

to deliver such a one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. 1 Cor 5:5

3. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to see there is some agreement. I'm glad to see it can be demonstrated to you that not all Calvinists reject missions work. In fact, many (the vast majority) embrace it strongly.

As for regeneration and salvation...the Calvinist understanding is that they are different, whether you agree or not is irrelevant. You may disagree with the theology, which we know you do, but that doesn't change the Calvinist understanding.

Second, as related to heart, the Calvinist says the natural man needs a new heart because the natural heart desires "only evil continually" and "desperately evil." So, the question is how can a desperately evil, only-evil-continually-heart desire God? Not to mention such a heart will not seek God, but will only seek its own sinful desires.

So, when we read Ezekiel 36, it is plain that God is granting new hearts and that is what we refer to as regeneration.

Regeneration is not a making alive of the whole. It is a making alive of the heart (not the organ...but the center of the person) and, once the Gospel is added, Salvation occurs and the whole is made alive.

Blessings,

The Archangel

4. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you elaborate on this challenge for me? Where are you on this and are you asking me (us) to prove or disprove your position? Or, are you asking us to state a "new" position?

Blessings,

The Archangel

5. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Primitive Baptists, as did other Baptists of the past [see: http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?p=1619153#post1619153 ], make a clear distinction between regeneration [the birth from above] and conversion [gospel, timely, on going, deliverance in this time world]. See also: http://www.sovgrace.net/index.php/t...-born-again-the-doctrine-of-effectual-calling

Example, Paul tells Timothy:

Take heed to thyself, and to thy teaching. Continue in these things; for in doing this thou shalt save both thyself and them that hear thee. 1 Tim 4:16

Are we to assume that Timothy was not yet regenerated? No, we must conclude from this that the salvation Paul is referring to here is not a 'one time event', but it is an on going affair.

Another example:

So then, my beloved, even as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; Phil 2:12

Are we to assume from this that regeneration comes from our works? No, the deliverance spoken of here is a personal, on going affair between each believer and his Lord.

Another one from the literal translation:

for the word of the cross to those indeed perishing is foolishness, and to us -- those being saved -- it is the power of God, 1 Cor 1:18 YLT

The gospel is the power of God to 'those being saved', again NOT a 'one time event'.

Regeneration IS a monergistic, one time event. Solely 100% accomplished by God. Our salvation is an on going affair in this temporal realm until the day we leave it, and it is synergistic, and it is God's good pleasure to save those believing through the preaching of the gospel.

6. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    All good points, friend. I think the "answer" (if you want to call it that) is in the concept of the "already-not yet." I think this is exemplified in Paul's discussion in Ephesians of the Holy Spirit being the down-payment of our inheritance.

Of course we who are saved must exhibit fruits of repentance and faith (and Sanctification). While we are being sanctified (passive, being done to us), we are to actively participate in our own sanctification as well. Our obeying God and doing His will must be matters of our will, not accidents, on our part.

But, again, I think the answer is in the idea that we are already saved in once sense, and we are not yet saved in another. The "already-not yet."

Blessings,

The Archangel

7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Archangel, just know that the Primitives see that the Greek word 'sozo', translated 'save' [read deliver] is NOT synonymous with the birth from above, or the acquiring of eternal life, and that they are consequently labeled as 'hyper' or 'anti-mission' and just generally spoken of wrongly from HOI POLLOI that does not understand their soteriology.

8. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. Point taken. Please help me figure out why this matters. Maybe I'm dense and not seeing it.

Is "Birth from above" what would be understood as regeneration?

Thanks for your help!

The Archangel

9. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is not the individual verses. The problem is the context in which the verses appear.

You are assuming that the "drawing" of John 6 is the same as the Rich Young Ruler coming to Jesus in Matthew 19. Again, these contexts are completely different and this one verse from John is not intended to and does not directly inform the passage from Matthew.

Therefore, a discussion of each individual passage must precede any discussion of if or how they relate to one another. In other words, one must define the apple and define the orange before comparing them to one another.

The Archangel

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Past pages limits on this thread.

Perhaps a NEW THREAD on "sozo" et al might be an option. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.