1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2 Posts In 1: The Master's Seminary & Academic Rant

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, May 15, 2005.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said:
    I am not aware of any PhD programs that require an MDiv degree. Most require the MA. Having an MDiv gives you advanced standing in the PhD. It is a ThD that requires the MDiv. There may be some exceptions to that, but I would look again.

==That I have found all of the Southern Baptist Seminaries require the MDiv (or MDiv equivalence) to enter their ThM or PhD programs. The only exception that I am aware of is New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. NOBTS has several MA programs, focusing on academic issues, that allow one to enter the PhD program. I think Regent University will allow someone with one of their MA degrees to enter into the PhD program (though I could be wrong).

You said:
    The MDiv is a professional degree for pastors. The PhD is a professional degree for academia. They are both, typically, the same number of hours. For instance, if you leave college and go straight to an MA/PhD route, it usually requires 90-100 hours, or so. If you leave college and go straight to an MDiv, it will require 90-100 hours to graduate. So by the time you have an MDiv, you could have a PhD.

==That is what frustrates me about the MDiv. I have an MA (this summer anyway), why do I need a MDiv? Because they say so. It gets really frustrating.

Martin.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is correct. Dallas's ThM is equal to the MDiv followed by the ThM (at one of the Southern Baptist schools). Dallas just puts it "all in one".

See the two articles below:

The extensive preparation of the DTS Th.M.

SEBTS ThM