1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2 questions about these verse if some one can help would apprexciate it

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dallasdid, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Dallasdid

Dallasdid New Member

ok how come in II Chronicles 32:31 it talks about how God left Hezekiah. But doesnt that go against Hebrews 13:5 . If you could help would appreciate it. I am confused how God leaves this great king yet it says He wil never leave nor forsake us. Any help is appreciated thanks God bless

2. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

The Lord did not leave him in terms of His presence with him, but he left him to his own devices. In other words the Lord gave no direction to Hezekiah's response but waited to see if the king of his own accord would glorify Him.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, the Holy Spirit did NOT "indwell" believers in the OT era. He came/went on occasion, empowering for a time or specific event.

Hard for believers today to understand. They were STILL saved, still God's elect (and He's never lost one of us yet!). But not having the Spirit indwelling.

Jesus promised His disciples this earth-shaking indwelling of the Spirit when He left.
    So be careful drawing inferences about God being "with" someone in the OT.

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

John, Dr. Bob explained it so very well! Isn't that wonderful news?!!

Diane

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

To go along with Dr. Bob's explanation, I like to use the example of David. He committed two of the most heinous crimes one could ever commit--adultery and then murder. After he had committed adultery with Bathsheba, Nathan the prophet came to David with a heart stirring parable about a rich man with plenty of sheep of his own. He had a guest from out of town but didn't want to take of his own sheep, which he had plenty of, to use for dinner. So, he went to the poor man next door who had only one sheep that was like a member of the family, a pet that had grown up with them. He took that sheep and sacrificed it, making it his supper. David, having been a shepherd himself, was incensed and was ready to impose the death sentence on such a cruel and thoughtless act.
    Then Nathan with that bony forefinger of his pointed at David and said "Thou art the man!"
    David was struck with guilt; convicted of sin and remoresful. We have his prayer of forgiveness recorded in Psalm 51. There is one important verse (among others) in that prayer.

(Psa 51:12 KJV) Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

David did not pray for his salvation. He knew that he was saved. He prayed that the joy of his salvation be restored. Adultery and murder did not take away his salvation. It took away his joy, his fellowship with God, but not his salvation. He prays for his joy to be restored.
    DHK

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And right before David prayed about the joy of his salvation (v 12) he said
    He had SEEN IT FIRSTHAND with Saul. And didn't want the same fate for him or his kids!

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

When Hezekiah DID pray, he prayed a prayer that would be a good example for us to follow today.

However, he did not pray until he had lost his joy and could no longer feel the presence of God.

This does not mean that God 'left' him; but that Hezekiah thought He had because of his own sin.