1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2 Thessalonians 2:13

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Archangel, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The truth of God is Spiritually revealed. A Doctorate does not mean they have come to truth.

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

Haha! Ain't that the truth! :)

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shall we go over it one more time.

God chose you [Thessalonians] as first fruit, for salvation. God is the subject, the one performing the action. The thing acted upon - you is the direct object of the verb, chose. The compliment - for salvation - provides an aspect (describes a feature) of the direct object -you.

Through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth. This adverbial phrase answers the question "How" (through sanctification by the Spirit - the Spirit set us apart in Christ) and the question "why" (God based His choice on faith in the truth, faith He had credited as righteousness.)

Why is this view not the most grammatical view? Here are the claims from the "experts."

(1)The preposition ἐν is governing two separate datives--sanctification and belief. This is true, "en" is connected to two separate datives. But what about this construction suggests the phrase cannot be adverbial? Nothing.

(2) There is a conjunction between the two phrases. This is true, also. But what about this construction suggests the phrases cannot be used adverbially? Nothing.

(3) This prepositional phrase, frankly, is too far away in the sentence flow to modify the verb. This is false. As I understand it, if an adverb or adjective points to more than one verb or noun, then we use proximity to select the most likely meaning. Here the adverbial phrase points away from the noun, and to the verb, so we do not need to use proximity.

Final point concerning all these "grammar" arguments. What the experts are saying is that the phase is adverbial, but is modifying the verbal idea within the noun salvation. So arguments (1) and (2) are self defeating, if the phase modifies "saved - the verbal idea - then it is adverbial and the arguments are fiction.

Bottom line, Paul used inspired words to say what he meant, he could have said "to be saved" but instead said "for salvation." Thus to translate the text based on what the Calvinists would like it to say is without merit.

4. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

nuff said....

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More than enough because it is a work of fiction. As has been demonstrated there are no "grammatical arguments that are hopelessly flawed" concerning Van's view of 2 Thessalonians 2:13. However the Calvinist view violates the syntax, turning a noun into a verb, the old "verbal idea" dodge to avoid the truth that God chose you for salvation through ... faith in the truth. Rather than discuss the obvious, arcane grammar arguments are made, with lots of words in Greek in a transparent effort to avoid the truth.

6. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

ok... here we go

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More than enough because it is a work of fiction. As has been demonstrated there are no "grammatical arguments that are hopelessly flawed" concerning Van's view of 2 Thessalonians 2:13. However the Calvinist view violates the syntax, turning a noun into a verb, the old "verbal idea" dodge to avoid the truth that God chose you for salvation through ... faith in the truth. Rather than discuss the obvious, arcane grammar arguments are made, with lots of words in Greek in a transparent effort to avoid the truth.

8. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van—since the last thread got closed down & I couldn’t respond to you---I’ll apologize to you here since you think I’m trying to slander you—that’s not my intentions---but everything you’ve written in this thread & the election before time thread—to me-are obvious attempts to act like you know Greek well enough to make claims your making---when you yourself admit you don’t! But b/c your taking this personal—I’ll leave you alone for awhile. Hope you continue to study & I sincerely hope you take my posts as a reason to study Greek for yourself & not just go on your logical conclusion on how the Greek language should be used properly. God Bless!