1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2001 Translation: An American English Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, Dec 19, 2020.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not recall noticing this mentioned here, though I might have missed it. Anyone ever heard of 2001 Translation: An American English Bible? Apparently it is edited and/or translated by someone named Jim Wheeler.

I happened up on this because someone I was reading in the discussion of a “scholarly” article kept mentioning being “baptized in Holy Breath.” Looking to see where this is coming from, I found this Bible version. “Holy Breath” is their translation of ἁγίου πνεύματος (where I checked).

Just wondering if anyone knows about the background/history of this?

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are a few examples of the “Holy Breath” from Acts:
    • 1:2 from the day that he gave his instructions to the Apostles whom he chose by Holy Breath after he’d been raised [from the dead]…
    • 1:5 Indeed, John baptized you with water; however, in just a few days you will be baptized in Holy Breath.
    • 1:8 However, you will receive power when the Holy Breath comes over you, and you’ll be witnesses of me in JeruSalem, throughout all of Judea, in Samaria, and to the farthest parts of the earth.
    • 2:4 and they all became filled with Holy Breath and they started speaking different languages, saying whatever the Breath was telling them to say.

3. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "say whatever the Breath was telling them to say".

Seems like not so good of a word choice.

4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A forum member sent me some links about this Bible. THIS ONE has some pretty lengthy detail about the 2001 American English Bible. They have put it in the public domain.
    Drop certain “rules” to follow their own style:
    Uses the name Jehovah:
    Translates OT from Septuagint:
    Appears to be agenda-driven in some way, in my opinion, since they claim all past Bible translators have chosen to translate according to their personal beliefs, while implying they have not.
    Unfortunately, I did not find they made any explanation of this choice on the page mentioned above.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Re "breath," I found this on their site. More can be read by clicking the link.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How We Did the Translating

"what did we do? First, we started with a good interlinear Bible translation, where the Greek words are above the English words"

"though we don’t speak Greek, we are very familiar with the common Greek words; so, checking for proper translating in the interlinear Bibles was fairly easy for us"

"when we came across words that were unfamiliar or where the meaning was unclear, we looked them up in Bible dictionaries"

"there are really no Greek words that should be ever translated as forever, everlasting, Trinity, Hell Fire, cross, Christ...these English words really shouldn’t appear in any Bible"

• Informative Informative x 4
  7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When i first read this, i was thinking of Holy Mouthwash!

• Funny Funny x 1