1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by aefting, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

What may be more important right now than the 2008 Presidential candidates are the potential nominees for Supreme Court Justices that can be selected between now and then. We need to get that part of government straightened out!

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

J C Watts vs Hillary

Watts as victor!

3. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Well I think the Dems will likely move to the center, and think a southern governor might have a chance, e.g., Mike Easley from NC. Our governor here in Virginia, Democrat Mark Warner, is doing a good job, but is boring as watching grass grow, Obama will be too liberal for the General, Dean likewise. Edwards is a definate maybe. Hillary ain't going to make it. We Democrats aren't as dumb as some of you might think, we know she'd loose in the General election, unless Bush really goes overboard this term. Our bench is kind of thin at this point, never know what the next four years will bring though.

I would like to see the Republicans put up someone like Lindsay Graham of South Carolina, or Richard Lugar from Indiana. I could support either of those fellows.

Frist - nope, too much of a lap dog for Bush. Watts, I think his past would come back to haunt him - so nope there too. Condi - nope, neo-con. Arney - nope. Rudy, nope. Tom Delay would send we Dems into hysterics, we absolutely can't stand the man. Jeb Bush -- don't think he would win, smacks too much of royalty for a third member of an immediate family within 20 years. Another Bush in the White House would have a lot of people out in the streets. I was a McCainiac in 2000, but I think he will be too old in 2008.

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

He's a Republican with national recognition, he's smart, he's a publicity hound, a consumate politician, but he's moderate to liberal (for a Republican).

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Think I'll wait on the news that comes out of Bohemian grove this July to make any predictions about 2008. I still think Arnold is the "favored one" of the global elite class.

6. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

That probably makes him the ideal candidate. Evangelicals are frightened to death of the Democrats, and will vote for any Republican, regardless of his positions. So, Guiliani would get enthusiastic support from abortionists, homosexuals, and Evangelicals.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Paddy Power Bookmakers in Ireland have Bill Frist as 5-1 favourite for the Republican nomination and Hillary in as 5-2 favourite for the Dems.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You realize, don't you, that Arnold is forbidden constitutionally from holding the office of POTUS?

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

For now Johnv, for now.

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

As a "Royal" Mississippian---I cringe to even mention this---since the guy "blew it" at the Birthday Party---

One of those "If only if's"---if only if he'd held that comment

Trent Lott for the Repub's---but again--like I said---He blew out more than just the candles---he blew his chance to live out four years of his life on Pennsylvania Avenue!!

11. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Jeff,

I'm not sure what "past" you are talking about? Please elaborate.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

4 years is not enough time to amend the Constitution. Besides, Arnold will likely run for relection of the Govrenor's seat in CA. And, seeing as how he's proven himself to be a very effective and capable governor, will no doubt be reelected.

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jeff,

I'm not sure what "past" you are talking about? Please elaborate.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I am interested too. I would rather see him take the presidency than any other available Republican I know of.

I don't see any of the most likely Republicans repeating Bush's coalition. If they run a pro-abortion candidate, they'll lose all 11% of Dems that voted for them and a sizeable portion of the rest of us.

One possibility is that someone like Pataki will do a Clinton/Gore type flip on abortion- except in the opposite direction. However doing so would probably negate his greatest value- New York's electoral votes.

Guiliani has way too much baggage in addition to his abortion stance.

If the Dems win in 2008, watch for the newly elected governor of MO, Matt Blunt in 2012. The only thing his opponent could come up with in a very negative campaign this year was that he was too young and inexperienced at 33.

I would consider the bench strength for both parties to be weak at this point, although somewhat worse for the Dems. I really like Condi Rice but we really don't know what here philosophy is- she is a bureaucrat/academic. On the other hand, that might help- she is undefined and can take any position she wants on every issue. She could come out as a recent convert to the ardent pro-life view at this point and no one could say that it was an insincere conviction.

The MN and CO governors might be interesting possibilities if pro-life. The MN gov would definitely help electorally.

Jeb Bush probably won't be the next heir to the legacy. It will probably be his son.

14. Pennsylvania Jim

Why not Jeb Bush, then his son after that? If we're going to be serfs to the New World Order, we might as well get it over with.

15. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Democrats: Hillary, Biden, Edwards, Dean. Darkhorse, Gov. Easley of N.C.

Republicans: Rudy, J.Bush, McCain, and Frist.
    Darkhorse: Arnold

Third Party: Jesse Ventura or Howard Dean, depending if the cards fall in place.

Democrats seem to win with Southern Governors (Carter, Clinton). Republicans seem to do better with Western Governors (Reagan, GWBush)

Easley vs. Arnold

16. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh please PJ... conspiracy theories are unbecoming of you.

God is in control with or without the Bush's promotion of the "New World Order". Maybe he is just more crafty than his dad but W seems to differ from his father on such things. Witness that he did not wait for UN approval to move on Iraq and by all testimony has alienated the Europeans- maybe permanently.

If you want a conspiracy prediction, I have one: W has started a rift that will continue to divide us from the Europeans. America will continue to move right/libertarian. We will stick with Israel.

The EU will begin to see the US as a rival, not ally. They will begin to supply radical Islam with advanced weapons technology and block our attempts at neutralizing threats. At some point in the future, animosity for the US will overflow resulting a cataclysmic attack on the US... perhaps something like suitcase bombs in our 20 largest cities. The path will then be clear for the Anti-christ's rise over the EU... and America, which I have never been able to find in end times prophecy, will no longer be a factor in world events.

Is this a prediction, no- only a remote possibility IF the pre-mil/post-trib escatalogical view is correct.

However, this is no less speculative than your reference to the Bush's ushering in the "New World Order" due to their political successes.

17. Pennsylvania Jim

Scott, I should not have used the "short-hand" term "new world order". In doing so I led you to assume things that I did not mean.

No theories here.

NAFTA, GATT, and FTAA. IMF, Export-Import Bank, Overseas Private Investment Corporation (a government funded program).

These are all very real, and any President has real policies regarding them. The policies in place, from both Republicans and Democrats, do not appear to me to be in the interest of the American people.

You can read about the upcoming FTAA HERE.

18. graceb2u

graceb2u New Member

I think the first woman or black president will be a Republican.

I think the first woman president will be Hillary Clinton. I think the first black president will be Colin Powell.

I think the Republican that will run in 2008 will be Rudy Guiallni.

19. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Here you go.
    J.C. Watts Biography

This might be from a site conservative enough to suit, but there are others which suggest things that you all probably wouldn't believe.

20. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Jeff,

I think that site isn't conservative at all. They have a disclaimer on the home page which reads:
    That doesn't affect the truth of the statements, but it explains the tone. In any case, Watts sounds quite the rascal.

I've noticed, though, that talking the talk carries more weight than walking the walk, so he might do after all.