1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2011 National Champion: Auburn or Oregon?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by rbell, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

LOL at some of the SEC homers on here saying Auburn would blow out Oregon. They didn't even cover the point spread and very easily could've have lost the game.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Wow 5 SEC National Championships is a row. Three out of four Heismans.

Alabama produced two different champions two Heismans to two players from two schools in a row.

Any idea which conference is the best.

There is no need for a play-off. Just give the trophy to the SEC champion.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Won't get any arguments from me - SEC is definitely the best. But even though it is easy to admit they're the best, some people go beyond the pale and somehow overestimate their greatness. Hard to do, I know.

College football is a farce anyway. I doubt there are any clean programs out there. Maybe some in the Patriot League, but not many beyond that.

I've always found it curious why some people take such pride in their conference or team being the best at a game. It probably just means they've figured away to best the system more than the others.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Why is it if you're a devotee of a team or conference, you're a homer? Make no mistake, I don't root for the SEC. Tennessee has to recruit against these guys, so I don't root for them. Besides, I wouldn't root for Bama under any circumstance.

Speaking of...C4K, are you claiming a Tiger as an Alabama Heisman and their National Title? Come on now :tongue3:

Andy, we never discussed the HOF inductees/vote. We need to do so.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I am an Alabamian as well as a Bama fan :)

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Newton is from Georgia :tongue3:

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

oi vey ....... :)

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I couldn't resist! :smilewinkgrin:

9. mets65

mets65 New Member

Auburn was number one in both polls but not unanimous. TCU did get some first place votes.

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Not all fans are homers. But when you make silly claims like Auburn will win by 30 points, that smells a little like a homer, don't you think?

11. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Born and raised in L.A. Grew up an Auburn fan, my dad was a professor at Auburn, among my most treasured posessions as a little child was a 45 of the marching band playing "Old War Eagle" on one side and the alma matter on the other ("On the rolling plains of Dixie, neath her sun kissed sky, proudly stands our alma mater, banners waving high...")

When I went to college, I was proud to attend Auburn. I believe in Auburn and love it.

So all I have to say is WAR DANGED EAGLE!

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

How on earth can someone vote TCU over Auburn?

I smell a "protest vote" that had nothing to do with the facts at hand.

Hopefully whoever did that will admit publicly...so they can attempt to explain their (il)logic.

13. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Why so shocked? You see, your comment reeks of SEC homerism. I suppose Auburn would beat TCU by 4 touchdowns, just like they beat Oregon by 4 TD's?

I'm not saying TCU is better than Auburn, but they are certainly in the discussion, and to be so shocked that some people believe TCU is better shows that you need to get out of your SEC* bubble.

*I will also note that this type of thinking isn't just with SEC fans. See Gordon Gee of OSU, for example.

14. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I thought Auburn would dominate (maybe not 30 points) and it ended up being a lot closer than expected. However, Auburn clearly ruled the line of scrimmage --- Auburn had 254 yards rushing compared to only 75 for Oregon.

Here's how the Top 25 ended up by conference:

SEC – 6 teams
    Big 12 – 5 teams
    ACC – 4 teams
    Big 10 – 3 teams
    WAC – 2 teams
    Mountain West – 2 teams
    Pac 10 – 2 teams
    Conf USA – 1 team
    Big LEast – 0 teams

In other words, the only ranked team that Oregon beat this past year was Stanford.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

Wow. Feel strongly about it, eh?

TCU is a very good school. They deserved their second-placed finish, IMO.

But Auburn went undefeated in the unquestionably toughest conference in the nation (keep in mind--5 consecutive BCS titles). Then they beat a ranked opponent (for the second time) in the conference championship. Then they beat the #2 team in the country.

I didn't say TCU was bad. But no way they should be voted #1.

16. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that's the thing. It's not that Auburn won all their games, it's the calibre of teams they had to go through.

ESPN computers did more than 10,000 analyses of stats and other circumstances and Auburn won 59% of the time over TCU by an average score of 31-24.

Once it's declared on TV, it's true.

17. mets65

mets65 New Member

Obviously they need a playoff but I do feel Auburn is the clear cut champion.

18. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Not really, sorry if I came across that way. I guess I'm just surprised that you're surprised that some people think TCU is better than (or as good as) Auburn. It's not that far of a stretch.

19. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I am not surprised that TCU got a vote. I'm shocked someone else didn't. I think TCU was the clear #2. Makes no sense to say you will vote a team #1 if they win your championship, yet someone broke ranks.