1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

21st Century King James Version (KJ21)

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So basically, was not really done in a fashion that would produce a useful scholarly tool....

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think the point is that there is a wider latitude to there being more than just one valid rendering than you seem to give acceptance to being!

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correctamundo.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His story on his translation and tools highlight to us that much better to see a team do such work, normally, as there would be checks and balances to the finished result...

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Almost choked on that one.
    Duh. I knew that. I just didn't know it at the time :(... Thanks for the information.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not advocate for less than the best translation choice. If the inspired word means children, to choose "friends" is a betrayal of truth.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Always happy to help.:)

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This kind of thing is exactly why I get frustrated at the wannabe translators, people like Jay Green or some I could name on the BB. :Rolleyes To accept Green's rendering we have to believe that (1) the Holy Spirit is making audible noises; (2) lost people hear those noises; (3) the Holy Spirit does physical actions such as blowing or breathing, the meanings of the Greek verb pneo.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are times though when there are more than one acceptable way to translate the Greek over into English, correct? Such as if one chooses to take the idioms straight over, or try to give it an english sense!

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speaking of wannabe translators, I once had a call from an American businessman living in Yokosuka, Japan, offering to help with our translation.

Me: Do you know Japanese?
    Him: No.
    Me. Do you know Greek?
    Him: No.
    Me: Well, if you want to contribute financially, please send the check to my mission board.
    Him: I don't believe in mission boards.

Then he was offended because we couldn't use him. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looked around to see if I could find anything on William D. Prindle, but didn't find much. If Find-A-Grave is correct, he is Major William Day "Bill" Prindle, Jr. He has two books on Amazon, this Bible and Bible Word Comparison.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you argue for error, mistranslation, and agenda driven eisegesis? Of course more than one English word or phrase can translate the same meaning intended by the source language word. That obviously is not the issue, it is beside the issue.

As far as idioms, where the intended meaning is not conveyed by the literal meaning of the idioms words, why not provide a literal translation and then footnote it with the idiomatic meaning or possible meanings? Rewriting the text to alter the message is not sound translation methodology.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not? Because to do so would be ridiculous.

What do you base this statement on? (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Your knowledge of Greek and/or Hebrew? You have none.Y our experience in translating? You have none. Your training in translation? You have none. Your training in any foreign language whatsoever? You have none. Am I not right?

In the light of the above, for you to make authoritative-sounding statements such as this is for you to be a pure wannabe, no more and no less. :rolleyes:

Translating an idiom with an equivalent idiom or even with a non-idiom in such cases is sound translation methodology. Footnoting an incomprehensible foreign idiom is total confusion. And no, to translate an idiom with an equivalent idiom is to preserve the meaning, not to lose the "intended meaning."

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JOJ, you have the unmitigated gall, the unabashed temerity to question my qualifications. You know nothing of the priesthood of believers. My view, footnote idioms, is shared by many versions that do just that, such as the NET. [personal attack removed]

I have every bit as much right to my opinions on how to best translate scripture as you do. And my views are supported by many published translators and commentators. The concept that man-made credentials allows you to to disqualify others is not biblical, it is not treating others as more important than ourselves. Jesus had no use for lip service Christians.

You post as if each and every idiom is scripture was identified and its intended meaning was known. Pure hogwash. We have various English translations translating idioms differently. You view is ridiculous, absurd and nonsensical.

Dr. Wallace agrees with me, in at least some cases!!!

#74 Van, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2017
  15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that John was just stating that you do make some big time statements without having the direct qualifications to make them though!

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What supports this statement? Does the priesthood of believers means that you know languages and can translate them into other languages? I don't think so.

That's really not a wise way to communicate the truth of what someone is saying in one language to the other. How do you say "my sweetie" to someone in France? You would call them "my little cabbage". Would it make sense if you were translating from French to English that you would put in "my little cabbage" and then footnote what it truly means? How cumbersome!

Yes, you have as much of a right to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is. However, just because you think you have "equal" voice to a scholar doesn't mean that you have the same wisdom on the subject. "Man made credentials" shows that he IS qualified to judge whether someone was making right or wrong translational decisions. Does one need to allow false information to continue in order to make them more important than ourselves? I hope your doctor bows to your medical wisdom over his own "man made credentials" and doesn't make you less important. I'm guessing he doesn't though because he actually knows more than you do in reality.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That is interesting. Do they mean that he figured out how to breed to create mules (female horse, male donkey) or that he figured out how to breed two mules (which is unlikely since the vast majority of mules are sterile).

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The people who have training and gabe actually translated the word of God need to be seen as being more than us lay people in this area, as we cannot really argue for and against that well....

20. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And all competent translators agree:

Sometimes a faithful translation "requires" an idiomatic translation to maintain semantic integrity: Example: The literal Hebrew expression “that which was in my autumn days” but contrary to English connotation, this Hebrew metaphor refers to the time of greatest fruitfulness.
    What is the difference among free translation, semantic translation ...
    https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-among-free-translation-semantic-translati...

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.