1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

21st Century King James Version (KJ21)

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll ask again. Pay attention here. See if you can prove you're not a wannabe.

1. Do you know any foreign language?
    2. Have you taken courses in Greek or Hebrew.
    3. Do you have any training in translation?
    4. Do you have any experience in translation?

If we go to a doctor, we want him to be qualified with a medical degree. If we call a plumber, we want him to be trained and licensed. If we take our car to a mechanic, we want him to be trained and qualified. Yet here you are, saying that someone who writes on Bible translation, a far more serious field, need not be qualified. For shame!
    You don't even know what my view is! I have four possible ways to translate an idiom. Do you know what they are? Have you read my article on this, which is on a theological blog for all to read?
    Wallace agrees with you???? :Roflmao An internationally known expert with a PhD in Greek and many articles and books out agrees with an anonymous Internet denizen who writes about translation on the BB with no qualifications? Rather say that you agree with him. He doesn't know you from Adam (nor does he know me, unless he read that festschrift I had an essay in--and he may have laughed at me, who knows? :confused:)

#81 John of Japan, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, you don't have any qualifications to question.

Neither, apparently, do you. The Priesthood of the believer, contrary to your false understanding, does not mean "I am right and you are wrong."

Yes, you have the right to an opinion based on your ignorance and lack of understanding while John has the right to his opinion based on a knowledge of Greek, translation philosophy, linguistics, and a Masters degree in Ancient Languages, and experience of being a bible translator and professor of New Testament Greek at a well respected bible college.

Pretty simple to see which opinion is right and which is uninformed bloviation.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is really ironic here is that the Expert Dr wallace actually recommends the Niv 2011. version Van despises!

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Pastor has 2 earned Phd, and has also a masters in Hebrew/Greek, and even he would not regard himself as an "expert"

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here, Van. Let me help you by breaking the ice and answering John's questions.

Yes. I grew up in a mult-lingual home.

Yes, and Yes. (Significantly more in Greek which I am much more comfortable with than Hebrew.)

No.

No.

See how easy that is Van?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see the usual misrepresentation is on display.

I said to present the literal translation of idioms and footnote the meaning or meanings. I provided an example from the NET doing just that. Therefore the assertion by JOJ was twaddle.

Did any of the wannabe address the fact I am right? Nope. They address my lack of qualifications according to the world's value system. Not my citizenship. Truth has value in the kingdom of God.

I did not say I knew JOJ's view. So a strawman argument. Why would I care what JOJ's view on translation of idioms is? He thinks the best one is ridiculous.

Dr. Wallace footnoted the idiomatic meaning, which I presented, so he agrees with my view in some cases.; No need to change the subject.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had a great time last week at the "Team Meeting" of a Bible translation ministry. It was great to get more training, and I learned much, including from two lecturers half my age. One lectured on "platforms" for translating in a limited access country, and the other lectured on linguistics in translating. I was privileged to be allowed to present our Japanese work for ten minutes.

So, again, here are the questions by which you can prove you're not a wannabe.

1. Do you know any foreign language?
    2. Have you taken courses in Greek or Hebrew?
    3. Do you have any training in translation?
    4. Do you have any experience in translation?

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope - we addressed the fact that you are wrong.

Because that was the basis of your attack of JoJ.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anytime someone puts words in my mouth, does this mean - some absurd unbiblical view - I feel it is cheap shot. I note that not one of these wannabes provided the meaning of priesthood of believers. That means each believer has equal footing before God. No need to special folks to stand between God and us, like those holding PhDs.

My position concerns translating scripture into English. You will not be able to show a single verse where my method would not be best.

I showed where an actual expert, Dr. Wallace, used my preferred method. I did not see where anyone offered a verse where that method would not provide the best information to someone studying to show themselves approved.

Many years ago I worked with some very smart people, holding degrees. But that did not make them infallible, sometimes they were right I was wrong, but at other times I hit closer to the mark.

Bottom line, there are those who want to suppress my views on a range of subjects, and that is wrong. :)

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note the concerted effort to change the subject from literally translating idioms and then footnoting the meaning or meanings.

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quit playing the martyr. Nobody has misrepresented you. (Well, other than you misrepresenting your qualifications.)

And I posted a quote showing that the vast majority of bible translators (with the exception of a few KJVOs) use idiomatic translation. (Google it.)

No, because you are wrong. Again.

Playing the martyr again? Nobody has used a world value system. We have posted the truth. You lack any qualifications in Hebrew, Greek, linguistics, and translation. You are posting out of the abundance of your own ignorance. As for your citizenship, we all have our citizenship in heaven, unless you are questioning our salvation. Are you? And are you also implying that we do not believe truth has value in the Kingdom? You sound like a Charismatic: "I'm right because - Holy Ghost!" Or a Mormon: "I'm right because - burning in my bosom!"

Yes, you did. You said:
    No, Dr. Wallace does not agree with you. He doesn't have a clue who you are. You agree with him in one insignificant (and wrong) way. I wish you had posted this claim earlier. I would have asked him if he knows you and agrees with you (he obviously does neither). I had a nice chat with him this past November in San Antonio at the ETS meeting.

• Like Like x 1
  12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell you what, let's take a look at the "idiom" with which Van tries to prove that Wallace "agrees with" him. The problem is, it is not an idiom, but a metaphor! It is speaking about the literal arm of the wicked, which symbolizes the strength of the wicked according to the footnote.

Van strikes out again, with no apparent knowledge of the figures of speech in the Bible. There is a big difference between idioms and metaphors, you know. :Biggrin

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see JOJ cannot even admit that the verse contains an idiom. Good Grief. Dr. Wallace says it is!!!
    Footnote 44: The arm symbolizes the strength of the wicked, which they use to oppress and exploit the weak.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From two translations where I've seen this (Living Torah and Jubilee 2000) it is my understanding that they are crediting Anah with figuring out how to breed a mare and a donkey (i.e., they translate in such a way that seems to mean that).

IMO, "found" or "discovered" in this verse means to find something that was there, not to "invent" as in Jubilee 2000.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, one of the greatest Bible translators around today is my friend B. P. He doesn't have a PhD, but learned a bunch of languages growing up as a missionary kid. He speaks about 20 nowadays, I believe. He is self educated in Greek, but went to Israel for a year to learn Hebrew. He has translated the NT into several languages already.

Now, I agree that you might be qualified even without any degrees. So:

1. Are you self-educated to fluency in any foreign language?
    2. Have you self-educated yourself in Greek and/or Hebrew to fluency in reading?
    3. Have you read completely through any technical books on translation? (My friend has 200 in his library.)
    4. Have you ever actually done any Bible translation on your own?

I'll be waiting. ;)
    Except that your "method" of footnoting idioms was for a metaphor, not an idiom. :Biggrin Maybe I should add one to the list of qualifications which you keep ducking.

5. Have you ever taken Eng. 101?

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. You trying to prove you are right and everybody else is wrong by claiming the priesthood of the believer was a cheap shot. And quite possibly a BB rule violation.

No, it doesn't. I means we each, as sinners, have the same standing before God as being forgiven. It has nothing at all to do with your opinion on a subject in which you have no understanding being equal to the opinion of a man who does understand what he is talking about.

LOL! It has already been pointed out to you that Dr. Wallace did not address an idiom. He was addressing a metaphor. You do know they are different things, right? Didn't the priesthood of the believer explain that to you?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Metaphor. Not an idiom.

Idiom: a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words.

Metaphor: a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.

• Like Like x 1
  18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Symbolize" and "idiom" are not synonyms. Wallace did not call that an idiom, he said it "symbolizes." Not the same. Here is a definition for idiom. Pay close attention:

"idiom A set expression in which two or more words are syntactically related, but with a meaning like that of a single lexical unit" (P. H. Matthews, Oxford Concise Dictionary of Linguistics, p. 183).

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets look at another example, Deuteronomy 13:6 and the phrase "the wife of your bosom." Many translation change the translation to "your beloved wife" or the wife you embrace." But a footnote would clarify the idea, and leave the interpretation to the footnote.
    Again, the student would know that scripture uses idioms or figurative expressions meant to convey an idea differing from the literal.

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see two more off topic posts, nitpicking and claiming the idiom was not an idiom. No mention of the actual topic, literal translation coupled with footnotes to explain where the literal meaning is not the intended message. For example, "break the arm" idiomatic meaning "break the strength."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.