1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

3,000 were Saved

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Book of Acts tells us that 3,000 were saved at Pentecost.

Scripture does not mention baptism at that time.

What is your hypothesis of their baptism?

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peter's sermon did (Acts 2:38).

Since leading voices in the crowd asked for direction (Acts 2:37), and Peter responded with instructions to repent and be baptized (Acts 2:38), we can conclude that they were baptized. If we assert that they might not have been baptized simply because Luke does not mention it, then, by the same logic, we should also conclude that they did not repent either.

If they did not repent and follow in obedience to Christ (starting with baptism), then they were not saved.

#2 Baptist Believer, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My hypothesis is that they were baptized. Plenty of water around.

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems to me it does. Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two things. First, without changing one's mind [repentence] one does not come to a new belief. And while baptism was instructed, it was done in addition to being saved. [Baptism is an instruction which accompanies the gospel, not done in order to be saved.]

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must be working too hard and too much - how did I miss vs 41 -

Ten lashes with a wet noodle

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never claimed that baptism brings salvation. However, one does not enter into the salvation of Jesus without entering into obedience to him. That's what believing is all about, not merely intellectual assent. Obedience is wrapped up in repentance.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, so am I to understand from you a faith plus merit of works salvation?

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was saved at least 2-3 years before I was baptized- does that mean if I had died within a year of my salvation -
    I would not have went to heaven?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. unprofitable

unprofitable Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many Baptists have a knee jerk reaction when given the witness of Baptist Believer and want to throw the C of C water on it. Receiving the ordinance of baptism is a show of agreement and subjection to the body of Christ charged with administering it.

An ordinance is a command and will be obeyed by all having the life of Christ in them. Baptism places the individual in covenant position with the church, and thru that body, the individual keeps covenant with both the church and her Savior. (Deu 7:9, Dan. 9:4)

Baptism does not give life in any way. Baptism is an act of a soul already made alive. . It identifies the member with that particular body administering the command given to it by her husband and savior. The command Christ gave in Jn 14:15 "If ye love me keep my commandments." is given not only to the individual member but also so the body as a whole.

Baptism is not a should, suggestion or ought. Christ instructs Jeremiah in Jer 11:6 "The Lord said unto me, Proclaim all these words in the cities of Judah and the streets of Jerusalem, saying, Hear ye the words of this COVENANT and DO THEM. We also see in verse 7 "Obey my voice". This parallels Jn 14:15 This is the command give to be a hearer and doer of the word (new covenant) of God. (James 1:22,23,25)

All who are baptized are not saved. (Jn 6:66) All who are saved will be baptized.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course not. How in the world did you get that from everything I have written in this thread and over the last 17 years here?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hear this clearly: NO

Christian repentance is a change of mind and focus that engages the reality that Jesus has called us into His life. If one repents, that person will necessarily want to obey.

Obedience is action, not earning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And since the one and only usage and meaning of the churches that Jesus Divinely Originated, IN THE BIBLE, is one to which a Saved individual, ONLY, acquires MEMBERSHIP BY BEING SCRIPTURALLY BAPTIZED INTO THAT FELLOWSHIP, then, yes: The 'them' was the assembled Baptised Believers by the Authority of God, at Jerusalem in Corporate capacity as a church Jesus Built and Commissioned.

The 3,000 souls Were BAPTISED as their Entrance and Indentification with Jesus Work in Saving them And in associating themsemselves to an Organized assembly, SUCH AS THAT ONE ASSEMBLED THERE THAT DAY that had just had The Soveign God of the Universe Publically Inaugurate it by Jesus Immersing, Indwelling, BAPTISING... HER... IN THE SHAKINA GLORY OF GOD, as Prophecied He Would in Daniel 9, that Jesus Would " Annoint the Most Holy".

rivaughn had it:

Acts 2:41 "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls."

I mentioned this elsewhere.

It's what TEACHES those verses involved.

Every Preacher should handle them this way, for the of Worship and Honestly.

I'm just Called to Testify about The Bible, so any illusions to 'baptism' relating to some 'salvation', or 'covenant' to Jesus having to do with 'salvation(?), or' obediance' attempting to be somehow be related to some 'salvation' are not something that I can see in The Bible, nor, of course, could possibly see, since, " Jesus is The Savior".

That is also why every time the word 'church' is used, it refers to what it refers to: a call out assembly, and none of them, nor any concept of anything Global, or Universal, or Invisible, or Catholic, or 'The Worldwide body, or Worldwide' church' can not be seen or Taught from God's Word.

Those aren't in there and are 100% not of God or The Bible.