1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 3 John

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Mar 31, 2022.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want to look at a text and how it has been applied on another thread.

The text is 3 John verses 6-8. Since 3 John is so brief I have provided it for context and discussion.

The Third Letter of JOHN

1 The elder to the beloved Gaius, whom I love in truth.
    2 Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers.
    3 For I was very glad when brethren came and testified to your truth, that is, how you are walking in truth.
    4 I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.
    5 Beloved, you are acting faithfully in whatever you accomplish for the brethren, and especially when they are strangers;
    6 and they have testified to your love before the church. You will do well to send them on their way in a manner worthy of God.
    7 For they went out for the sake of the Name, accepting nothing from the Gentiles.
    8 Therefore we ought to support such men, so that we may be fellow workers with the truth.
    9 I wrote something to the church; but Diotrephes, who loves to be first among them, does not accept what we say.
    10 For this reason, if I come, I will call attention to his deeds which he does, unjustly accusing us with wicked words; and not satisfied with this, he himself does not receive the brethren, either, and he forbids those who desire to do so and puts them out of the church.
    11 Beloved, do not imitate what is evil, but what is good. The one who does good is of God; the one who does evil has not seen God.
    12 Demetrius has received a good testimony from everyone, and from the truth itself; and we add our testimony, and you know that our testimony is true.
    13 I had many things to write to you, but I am not willing to write them to you with pen and ink;
    14 but I hope to see you shortly, and we will speak face to face.
    15 Peace be to you. The friends greet you. Greet the friends by name.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The interpretation offered on another thread is that this passage supports the idea that God gifted us teachers in the form of 17th Century Reformed writings which are the equivalent to teachers in 3 John going from church to church and any who oppose these Reformed writers are opposing God in the manner of Demetrius.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who are the ones going out (the ones received by the churches)? What were they doing?

Were they going from church to church teaching the congregation?

Does the passage equate to congregations receiving books?

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The description of Diotrephes...matches your posting style.
    In verse 10....he would not welcome those who offered help.

10 Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.

If we put your name in his place would that not descibe what you are doing here?:Cautious

the quotes offered by gifted teachers both past and present are rejected by you.
    My comment about John Owen, and Sinclair Ferguson being rejected by "Baptists' was illustrated by SBG who violently rejected even looking at what they write.

it was on page 11 of one of the threads...search it out.

• Winner Winner x 3
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt very seriously that Diotrephes ever posted on a discussion board, so any comparison to my posting style is fabricated.

But let's examine the passage.

Who was Diotrephes? We don't know, other than he was a church leader (we do not what church) who hindered those desiring to show hospitality to traveling brothers who were spreading the gospel.

Was he hindering teachers of the church? No. He was hindering what we would call evangelists (ministering to the lost....here the Gentiles). Ironically he was probably a Gentile convert (his name).

Was he stopping them from reading books? Not that we know of.

Once again you have misused Scripture and tried to make your accusations look godly when in fact they are the opposite.

If anything you would come closer to fitting the description. You hold your self highly, expect people to praise your philosophy, and try to expel those who disagree with you.

All I am saying is we need to believe "what is written". That is all I have said for months. And all you have done is insult those of us who do not accept what you believe the Bible teaches.

6. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread just needs to be closed. Another member bashing thread from @JonC

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, John 3 says nothing providing actual support for the false teachers of Calvinism. Once again, the absurd claims require wholesale reading into the text what is not said.

This quote is spot on:

"All I am saying is we need to believe "what is written".

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If 3 John can only be referenced if the situation is exactly the same as it was in the 1st Century, then we may as well cut the book out of the Bible.
    If church leaders or other people with influence are seeking to discourage believers from getting helpful teaching, then they come under the condemnation of Diotrephes,
    Now lets get this thread closed before it causes more unpleasantness.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a difference between applying Scripture and twisting it to try to make an argument look biblical.

We have to look at what was happening in the passage concerning Diotrephes.

Diotrephes had some influence within the church and was hindering those teaching out with the gospel. The evangelists should have been able to count on the support of the church and the church should have joyfully provided for them.

We know Diotrephes was set in his ways, considered himself superior, and hindered the evangelists to the point he wanted to expel them. We do not know the exact reason.

Can this be applied to mean Christians who do not believe we should hold books as types of authorities for doctrine or supplements to God's Word are like Diotrephes?

No, it cannot because the idea that we have one source to text doctrine (the text of Scripture) is not remotely the same situation.

However, you exegete the passage and show us exactly how it applies to Christians that believe extra-biblical books can be helpful but should never be our authority of doctrine.

I look forward to your explanation.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    3 John 1:9-10
    9 I wrote something to the church; but Diotrephes, who loves to be first among them, does not accept what we say.
    10 For this reason, if I come, I will call attention to his deeds which he does, unjustly accusing us with wicked words; and not satisfied with this, he himself does not receive the brethren, either, and he forbids those who desire to do so and puts them out of the church.

What problems with errant professors of belief are identified by John?

1) They will exhibit prideful behavior. (Others "cannot grasp, cannot understand, are ignorant, and so forth)

2) They reject sound teaching. ("Not what it means, you need to study more...)

3) They engage in unjust accusation. (Others engage in hate speech, suppress truth, etc)

4) They are hostile to those who disagree with their mistaken view.

5) They seek to silence those presenting an alternate understanding of the meaning of scripture.

Now lets get this thread closed. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This looks like an interesting discussion if it were not already tainted by personal beefs. I'm an outsider to the Cal/Arm discussions, and want to stay that way, but I can certainly exegete, and will have to go with JonC on this one.

There is only one way to figure out John 3, and that is by correct exegesis.

1. Teachers apparently stayed in one church in the NT. (Cf Acts 13:1, Titus 2:3). This would leave out traveling "books" in the sense of authors.

2. Besides that, if I read this discussion right, a book by Owen is equivalent to a "teacher" in the Bible sense. I could not disagree more. A biblical teacher must mentor and not just impart information and theology (Ephesians 4:11-13). At our college we do not do online classes unless absolutely necessary (Covid was the exception; we used Zoom). We believe in direct mentoring, and I have students to mentor in my office all the time. Several years ago when I was down at Southwestern BTS doing research, Dr. Paige Patterson told me that their online courses were growing, but he was disappointed in that, because he too believed in profs mentoring students.

3. Historically, those travelling from church to church in the first century were apostles and prophets (cf. the Didache from around 100 AD). The missiology of the day was personal and mass evangelism, cross cultural missions, and church planting. I don't see how anyone could apply the people in 3 John to anyone else. So, if someone was traveling from church to church in 3 John, it was not John Owen, who was a pastor and teacher--those guys stay put.

4. From a commentary, speaking of what John had written to Diotrophes: "On the basis of what the elder wrote Gaius, we can surmise that he had written the church asking them to extend hospitality to the traveling missionaries he had sent out" (Glenn Barker, 3rd John in The Expositor's Bible Commentary, Vol, 12, p. 374). Soul winning, church planting missionaries, not teachers.

As an author and teacher, I wish I could agree with the John Owen as a teacher enshrined in a book, but I can't biblically.

• Like Like x 1
  12. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the early church history, Irenaeus wrote using a number of quotes from Paul and the Gospels. He also wrote concerning how Polycarp had multiple discussions with a number that saw the Christ alive, and the apostle John.

Now I mention that, because listening to others is important, as long as it is agreeable with the Scriptures. When tradition, peer influence, positional authority, or whatever influences one into adopting error, then it becomes a different matter.

Be persuaded by Scriptures ONLY, dear friends, and that which is not consistent with the statements of that authority should be discarded.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have seen that a number of people on BB have put more stock in some teacher than they have in the bible. It does not matter how gifted that teachers is they are to be judged by the bible not the bible by them.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We know what 3jn said was taking place at that time.
    That was not the original discussion JOJ.
    I had looked at the description in vs 10, and applied it to the activity and posting style of JonC.
    The discussion about 3 John did not include discussing books.
    No one suggested a book as the teacher.
    That being said, are you suggesting a teacher today, or even you could not extract teaching out of books by Sinclair Ferguson, John Owen, Bavinck, Vos, Sibbes etc.
    That was the real discussion.
    No one set out to execute,3 John.
    That was a twist from your pal JonC.

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JonC is twisting things again trying to tie in the discussion on books to the comments made about his posting style vs 10.lol.
    Two different things but we have come to expect this from him.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. There is an inherent problem when people move away from what is written in Scripture to follow what other people believe Scripture teaches.

And there are several on this board who do exactly that. They will tell you it is not "what is written" but what is "taught" when "properly understood" and God gave us Reformed teachers (books) to properly understand.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point is Christians should not be trying to extract teachings from the works of Owen, John Wesley, etc. We should be looking to Scripture.

One can extract teachings from the Book of Mormon. And, depending on your ministry, it could be a benefit to know what the Book of Mormon says. There are some things in the Book of Mormon that are true. But God did not give the Book of Mormon as our teacher.

Owen and Wesley were Christians (I was using Mormons as an illustration). And we can gain some insight of how they believed, the circumstances in which they wrote, their worldviews, etc.

But God gives teachers (real ones) to the congregations that make up a body (churches). There is a pastor (or overseer), there are teachers, and there are evangelists.

When you reply on the works of men like Owen and Wesley you are becoming your own teacher, your own mentor, your own standard.

A Christian is not a lone wolf but a member of a pack (a family, a functioning part of a body).

18. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Christian is not a lone wolf or a member of a pack. They are sheep and members of the flock.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ....the same Irenaeus that says Jesus taught for 15 years and was fifty years old when he died?.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was an illustration. To rephrase according to your wording - a Christian is not lone sheep, but a member of a flock. The sheep may get lost (may be carried away by vain philosophies) but the Shepherd will find it and bring it back to the other sheep.

A Christian who chooses to disciple himself on books as his teachers is a lost sheep, forsaking the flock and his role in the flock.

When we rely on books as our teacher we are essentially teaching ourselves.

Take John Owen, for example. A Baptist will not accept all that Owen wrote, but if that Baptist considers his books as his teacher then he is choosing what of Owen to believe and what of Owen to dismiss.