1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

30,000+ protastant denominations

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Pete Richert, Sep 17, 2003.

1. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

DHK,

Doctrine and discipline are not the same thing at all. I don't know how you derive that they are, and the dictionary doesn't seem to agree with you either.

And, even if they DID mean the same thing outside of the Catholic Church, what would that matter? Celibacy has never been declared an unchangable teaching, so why are we even arguing about this? It CAN NEVER change that Jesus is the Son of God. That is a doctrine, and is obviously on a different plane than a practice.

Further, if there were only TWO denominations, that's still one too many.

2. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Gee, DHK, can you point out a single post where I have done such a thing?

To point out to you that you interpert Scripture is not ridicule.

BTW, my consistent response to the 30,000 denomination thing has been to suggest contacting the source of the number. I have given the address a few times now.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't think you have been following this thread closely enough. I never said that doctrine and discipline are the same thing. Of course they are different. You ought to go back and read what I said on the matter of how they differ. I gave plenty of Biblical examples.

On the matter of doctrine: Doctrine is teaching. That is the Biblical definition, and the dictiionary definition. You cannot get away from that by changing the definition. It is the Catholic Church that wants to change the definition of doctrine here to "discipline," not me. I gave a quote from the "Documents of Vatican II," which gives extensive teaching on the celibacy of the priesthood. If it is teaching it is doctrine. They were discussing a doctrine of the church--celibacy--whether they called it a doctrine or not. That is just plain semantics. It is a teaching of the church, and thus a doctrine. Words have meanings.

"And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' DOCTRINE. What do you think that verse means? I will guarantee you one thing. One of the doctrines they did not continue in was the celibacy of the priesthood, for Peter himself was married. It is an unbiblical doctrine, a doctrine which Paul himself calls, a doctrine of demons (1Tim.4:1-3).
    DHK

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Gee, DHK, can you point out a single post where I have done such a thing?

To point out to you that you interpert Scripture is not ridicule.

BTW, my consistent response to the 30,000 denomination thing has been to suggest contacting the source of the number. I have given the address a few times now.
    </font>[/QUOTE]First: go back to one of my first posts here, and find the link that I provided. That will give you a reference point to the 30,000.

Seond: To point out on a continual basis that everything I have to offer is just my opinion, nothing but my personal interpretation is ridicule. If you have nothing to offer to the discussion at hand then don't. In the thread: "I will build my church," you, GraceSaves, and Thessalonian, all have simply offered: "it's your opinion," excuses instead of offering Scripture. What is wrong here T2U? Don't you know your Bible well enough to discuss the meaning of the word "church"? Or are you afraid that your entire Catholic theology will be decimated. Do you have to resort to such ridicule (and that is what it is) almost all the time? Example:

Need I say more?
    DHK

5. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

DHK

I designed a papal crest for you. What do you think? I think it's you.

* MNO *

Leave a message at the sound of the beep. [​IMG]

Blessings

6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have shown on page 8, the source of the number (Global Evangelization Movement; World Christian Encyclopedia) may be found online. They may also be contacted them by e-mail in addition to the snail mail (look at the bottom of the page of the link I give below). The link has the number at #44, "Denominations," under "Christian Organizations." In the way the GEM/WCE has chosen to define denominations, the number 33,800 (or 36,400 for mid-2003) is the total of all "Christian" denominations, shown in the six ecclesiastical megablocs.

Status of Global Mission, 2003

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's quite a serious offense to call someone a fool. Ijust thought I would bring to your attention what characterizes a fool according to scripture.

Psalm 14:1,"The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they have committed abominable deeds; There is no one who does good.

8. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Ahh....so you are the one who sent the hateful email with no theological information and just petty attacks, Gerald. ;) Come on, you can do better than that, my friend. Refute the numbers, since they are STRAIGHT from the book. If you look back, you are the one with nothing to say of substance. Really, look at the posts. And yes, if you say Catholics (not you in particular) have not used these inflated numbers around here as an argument against Protestants, yes, you are lying because I have been the receiving end of those arguments.

Please, go to the book and look at the number. I want you to, my friend. I have documented my posts, not just spoke from off the top of my head. Refute it.

In Christ,
    Neal