1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

30 reasons, I am not a Calvinist

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by stilllearning, Mar 4, 2011.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Because we want to believe that we are in some sort of control. There was also a time that it was not preached that I know of - at least not in the churches I went to. It was all "free will" teaching so when I started seeing the Scriptures contradict that, I would try to fit the Scriptures with what I learned. But soon that just didn't work anymore and I had to decide if what I had learned all those years was wrong or if the Bible was wrong. It's obvious which way I'd go. ;)

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thanks Ann. :)

One thing I remember back when I had just begun to really study the bible was the first time I came across the word "elect". I think it was in Ephesians. But when I read it, I felt panicked that maybe I wasn't one of the elect. How would I know? It was a scary thought and took me awhile to get through it.

#22 Amy.G, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
  3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Let these words discourage others from proudly stating they only get their beliefs from reading the Bible only:

We do not start out our Christian lives by working out our faith for ourselves; it is mediated to us by Christian tradition, in the form of sermons,books and established patterns of church life and fellowship. We read our Bibles in the light of what we have learned from these sources; we approach Scripture with minds already formed by the mass of accepted opinions and viewpoints with which we have come into contact, in both the Church and the world....It is easy to be unaware that it has happened; it is hard even to begin to realize how profoundly tradition in this sense has moulded us. But we are forbidden to become enslaved to human tradition, either secular or Christian, whether it be "catholic" tradition, or "critical" tradition, or "ecumenical" tradition. We may never assume the complete rightness of our own established ways of thought and practice and excuse ourselves the duty of testing and reforming them by Scriptures.

J.I. Packer

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

I will respond to yours, and by extension Stll Learning.

Note the wording in the question given:
    What is the Gospel?
    In it basic sense - The Good News is that man can be brought back into a right relationship with God, made possible only by the shedding of blood from a perfect sacrifice for their sins.

Note also it states, to the dispensationalist, the sacrifices were not seen as TYPES of the Messiah AS sin-bearer. This reflects back to the qualifier of the Gospel 'message', specifically with regard for that time (ie. sacrifices for sin)

The point here is that Dispensationalists have held emphatically to the fact that the sacrifices were TYPES or shadows of the Messiah AS sin-bearer. What this statement is trying to establish is that Dispy hold to two salvations. 1. works and 2. grace

This is a common fallacious statement made by many in the covenant group.

#24 Allan, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
  5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amy....good post. That tension of what if I am not elect is designed by God to have someone prayerfully seek his face and ask for mercy.
    Once you view those verses as a believer they give you alot of comfort and blessing.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Or......you weren't taught anything as a child or young adult and end up getting messed up by every wind of doctrine when you're saved.
    (That would be me.)

I thank God that He sought me, bought me, and taught me!

(I'm still learning though.) :)

7. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

I believe what you are trying to say, is we are going to be influenced by what men say, over what the Word of God says; And there is NOTHING we can do about it.

Well I disagree; We do not HAVE TO be influenced by man’s teachings.
    In fact, God’s Word tells us that we can have a complete victory over man’s influence, if we only commit ourselves to God’s Word.........
    Hebrews 4:12
    “For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”

The influence you are talking about, effects “the thoughts and intents of our heart”;
    But if we totally give ourselves over, to following God’s Word, He(God), will give us a victory over this influence.
    --------------------------------------------------
    A Christian “can” start out his Christian life, not being influenced by man’s traditions, and continue to retain this victory, as long as they keep putting God’s Word above everything that man has to offer(Christian tradition, sermons, books established patterns of church life, etc).

We can even come to a forum like this, and read and write thousands of posts and retain this victory; As long as we continue to keep God’s Word as supreme, in our hearts and minds.
    --------------------------------------------------
    You have been convinced, that this can’t be done, but God’s Word says it can.