1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

3M Masks and Other Mask Scandals

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Benjamin, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "We hit 3M hard today after seeing what they were doing with their Masks. “P Act” all the way. Big surprise to many in government as to what they were doing - will have a big price to pay!" ~ Trump

Apparently 3M was selling masks to foreign countries while saying they couldn't meet our demand.

China bought up 730 million masks early on and are now selling them back. They are/have been hoarding the masks.

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I actually have some knowledge of what is going on the mask market because that is my job. 3M has licensed other companies to manufacture N-95 respirator masks. N-95 masks, when properly fitted and worn with goggles or safety glasses, provide an increased level of protection from pathogens compared to surgical or cloth masks. Currently, almost all N-95 masks being manufactured in the United States are being shipped to hospitals, other healthcare facilities, first responders, or the federal government. Companies that normally re-sell N-95's to the general public or private industry are out of stock and have no ETA on when they will be re-stocked. I know this because my company sells them and we have been cut off too. Just go on Grainger, MSC, or Partsmaster's websites and see if you can find any in stock. Because 3M has licensed other manufacturers to manufacture N-95's, they are now starting to export some of these masks to other countries.

The KN-95 is a competitive mask to the N-95. The KN-95 meets the same filtration specs as the N-95 but it is not certified for use by healthcare facilities. This is because 3M has had a lock on the market for years on respirator masks. The KN-95 is made in China and is very much in demand right now all over the world. I have been selling KN-95's over the past week like they are going out of style. Even though these masks are available, they are available with 10-21 day back orders. Unfortunately, they are not available to every company. My company has a long-standing relationship with a manufacture, so that is how we are procuring them. Most of my sales have been to private industry, not healthcare since the N-95 is the only certified mask for healthcare.

Personally, I think 3M is getting a bad rap because of optics. There are plenty of N-95's coming off the manufacturing line. The N-95's that Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots, flew in from China yesterday are actually not N-95's. They are KN-95's. The "K" is a designation for Chinese-made. Again, I know because I am selling the KN-95's. As I said in the previous paragraph, the KN-95's are almost identical to the N-95's, they are just not certified for healthcare. That does not mean healthcare facilities cannot use them, but they are more likely to be used in non-healthcare settings. That said, while most of my sales have been to private industry, I have two large hospitals in Central Florida that have purchased the KN-95's, but they are for patient and visitor use, not healthcare workers.

I hope this helps.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is unacceptable!!

4. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now the truth is starting to come out. This news is all over the MSM too, right?

This is worse than not selling the masks. 3M distributors are diverting orders placed a month ago in favor of selling to foreign entities breaking line, paying cash at the shipping dock. At the same time they are lying, saying that the same unfulfilled orders are fulfilled and in flight. And 3M doesn't care.

Yep, may be time to intercept the masks at 3M and skip the distributors.

5. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I listened to 3Ms CEO blame any price gouging or diverting all on the distributors and say that plants in China would control over what happens to those masks anyway, and as far as Canada they don't have any other source for masks so they had to help them out.

I say we take their patents, quickly reproduce their machinery on a massive scale and distribute boxes of masks to everyone in this country.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. BroTom64

BroTom64 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did any of you read what Reformed posted? @ #2 on this thread?
    There is usually more to the story than we first see or read.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure if trump grows a set

• Like Like x 1
  8. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but I don't think I'm in agreement that they are "getting a bad rap" and that we have "plenty of masks"...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1