1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

5.2-Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Illinois; Felt 450 Miles Away

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Revmitchell, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WEST SALEM, Ill — An earthquake centered in southern Illinois rocked people awake across the Midwest early Friday, surprising residents unaccustomed to such seismic activity.

Read Here

Mat 24:3 As he sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the close of the age?"
    Mat 24:4 And Jesus answered them, "See that no one leads you astray.
    Mat 24:5 For many will come in my name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and they will lead many astray.
    Mat 24:6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the end is not yet.
    Mat 24:7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places.
    Mat 24:8 All these are but the beginning of the birth pains.

#1 Revmitchell, Apr 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2008
  2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

3. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I woke up as usual this morning about 5am but decided to stay in bed and dose awhile. About 6 am I felt something shake my house. My first half- asleep reaction was strong wind. I thought,"No, it's supposed to be sunny and calm today." At the very same time my wife was moving in the bed and getting up. I said, "What was that?" She didn't feel anything I guess. Her reply was, "I think Bella(our dog) wants to go out," and got up to take her outside. I attributed it to a half-awake reaction to her getting up at the exact moment that I felt the house shake as being her shaking the bed getting up. She calls me a few minutes ago and tells me about the earthquake in Illinois. I live in Paintsville, KY. Almost as far east in KY as you can get. People at her work also felt the same thing this morning. The next time you wake to supposed wind on a sunny day, it just might be an earthquake.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The "big one" in 1812 actually caused church bells in Boston and New York to ring, was felt as far away as Montreal, and by President Thomas Jefferson at Monticello, and actually caused both the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers to run backwards, for a time, due to the uplift and upheaval, before 'settling', once again. There was "a whole lot of shakin' going on".

Seemingly oblivious to this, the US Congress actually considered building a new Capital of the US at Columbus, KY, due to the fact that the British Navy had been able to successfully attack Ft. McHenry, and Washington in the War of 1812.

Great idea from Government! Put the new Capital dead-center in the New Madrid Fault zone! :rolleyes:

Incidentally, the little bit of 'genius' failed in the Senate by only one vote. :eek:

Just so everyone will know that stupid ideas coming out of Washington have also been around for 200+ years. :thumbs:

Incidentally, my wife and I slept through it, although I'm not sure our cats did not feel it. They were agitated, when I got up, but I merely assumed they just wanted to be fed, again. Animals are supposed to be sensitive to such, and probably moreso than humans are.

And my niece who lives next door was awakened a little before 5 AM, which she said was unusual for her, without really knowing why, but did not really recall any shaking. I dunno'.

Ed

#4 EdSutton, Apr 18, 2008
  5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The news showed damage in KY somewhere.

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Western KY, some 200+ miles from where I live, in Central KY. The epicenter is apparently on the 'Wabash fault', an extension of the New Madrid Fault.

[Edited to correct approximate distance.]

Ed

#6 EdSutton, Apr 18, 2008
  7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Some around here say they felt it, but I didn't

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I didn't feel it this morning, but my wife did. She said the cabinets rattled and she initally thought it was wind, but our cabinets don't rattle in the wind, and there wasn't any wind anyway.

We just had another one about 40 minutes or so ago. I was sitting here at work and it felt like somebody had come up behind me and was moving my chair. I'm on the 3rd floor of a 3 story building and those on the ground here didn't feel a thing.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Our dog woke us up barking (he sleeps in our room) early this morning. I heard our closet door rattling (it's a sliding door), so I got up because I figured I had closed the cat up in there. I opened it, but no cat. I closed it back but it continued to rattle. By the time my husband got up to check out my insanity :laugh: , it had stopped. I told him, "if you hear about an earthquake on the news, let me know". I was joking, but now I know.

Wow!

10. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Matt 24:7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

The beginning of sorrows...

11. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

It shook our house around 5:00a.m. The windows rattled and all the beds moved. I sat bolt-upright in bed. My grandson was so scared, he just froze. LOL

It cracked one corner of our foundation and we don't have earthquake insurance. Who knew??? The only other earthquake I remember in Illinois was 40 years ago...

There were also some mobile homes in our town that were knocked off of their foundation.