1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 5 reasons why the Preterist and/or semi-preterist position is impossible

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Calypsis4, May 25, 2015.

1. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, but no.

2. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in the early 1990s, I took several undergrad courses at Philadelphia College of the Bible, now called Philadelphia Biblical University. The classes I took were basic theology courses. Keep in mind that I do not consider myself very good at critical thinking. Things like math word problems and chemistry problems that require 2 or 3 different formulas to solve one problem were not my cup of tea.

Still, I did well enough that the college encouraged me to stay with it. However, I didn't have the resources to continue.

So now I read post after post on this forum where critical thinking isn't even on the map, where the party line is all that matters. And those who do it defend themselves by mocking their theological foes. Pathetic. And those who should know better say nothing.

The great secular scientists or even some of the religious scientists of history past would always go back to the basics, to the source. They respected their fellow scientists work. They proved them wrong when an experiment proved them wrong and they ate crow when their theory turned out incorrect.

Anyone can cut and paste Louis Pasteur. But if you are asked to write a research paper in biology 101 on microbes and all it consists of is quotes from Pasteur, you will get an F. And yet here on this board the cut and pasters do just that, there is a lack critical thinking. You disagree Tim?

3. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was at PCB, just up the road a ways was the 10th Presbyterian Church. At the time it was the home of James Montgomery Boice. While not a friend of the dispies, Boice didn’t offend them either. Before Boice, the Great Donald Barnhouse pastored that church. Barnhouse was a pre-mil but shunned by the establishment. Those two greats who shared the same pulpit were followed by Philip Ryken, a man currently held in high esteem for his covenant theology views. Now as President of Wheaton, a college once considered friendly to the dispies, Ryken has given his blessing to LGBT clubs on campus. How long before Wheaton becomes but a memory?

I’m not a Lutheran and don’t agree with everything Luther said. But I have nothing but respect for the man as his starting point way off base and he brought the ship back on course. He didn’t have an electron microscope so he couldn’t see everything. But he laid the groundwork for the invention of the microscope (ie: the Bible in the vulgar tongue). Luther put the Bible on the lab bench so anyone could pick it up. Many who pick up the Bible and look through the eyepiece forget to turn on the lamp. Or if they turn on the lamp, they don’t believe what is plainly in view.

Critical thinking requires the individual to answer with the “why”. You have to show your work. You cannot simply repeat what others say. John Calvin was a systematic theologian. He looked through the microscope and answered his questions based on everything he saw sitting on the slide. Not just one small part of the slide. If Calvin were around today, the Calvinists would give him the boot to make room for Ryken.

And yet right here in the lab, the dispies are declared the kooks and the preterists are given the old back slap. If you open the Bible, read the word contained therein and believe them to be accurate, then you would know what the second coming of the Lord Jesus will look like and you will know that there is not way possible that it has already happened in history. But yet the dispies are the kooks. But that doesn’t change the fact that Wheaton College is headed down into the pit either. I’m not anti-education, far from it. I’m going to be a student for as long as I can get my sorry backside into the classroom. But take the critical thinking out of the seminaries and all you got left is a place to celebrate “diversity”. Apply critical thinking to the question of preterism and then mock the dispies. Why?

4. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Finally... you get somewhere. Pretty sorry comparison. And you simply pontificate as if dispieism is so right. But if they are wrong, and the vast majority here are dispies, then it would be kooky (cookie???).

And I'm not even preterest in Rev!!!

5. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tim darling, did I say you were a preterist?

6. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is reflex. If you disagree with the dispensational view you are automatically labeled a preterist here.

....and he probably assumed you were in conversation still and picked up on this.

#146 McCree79, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2015
  7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Sadly there are some on this BB who will "slyly question your Salvation" if you think pre-trib-dispensationalism is false doctrine out of the mind of John Nelson Darby and popularized in this country by Cyrus I. Scofield!