1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 5 Views on Sanctification

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by AustinC, Feb 10, 2023.

1. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Five Views on Sanctification
    Author
    Mike Sullivan
    Sanctification is the process of becoming more like Christ in our conduct and character. But how does it occur? What disciplines, habits, and ways of thinking and living do Christians need to cultivate to become "sanctified"? In Five Views on Sanctification[1], Protestant theologians explore these questions and share their understanding of how sanctification occurs. In this paper, I will summarize and react to each contributor's view of sanctification. At the end of the paper, I will offer my own explanation of how sanctification occurs. I hope you enjoy it!

The Wesleyan View
    (Summary | Reaction)
    The Reformed View
    (Summary | Reaction)
    The Pentecostal View
    (Summary | Reaction)
    The Keswick View
    (Summary | Reaction)
    The Augustinian-Dispensational View
    (Summary | Reaction)
    My View

This is in question of a statement on sanctification by a poster on another thread dealing with faith.
    I have not vetted this author. He could be all wet.

Five Views on Sanctification | Dwell Community Church.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While those who have been regenerated (born again) will struggle to make visible improvement in one's conduct - see Romans 7:14-25(also read about the life of Samson in the book of Judges) - Christians will "grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ." (2 Peter 3:18). I like how Vincent Cheung put it in his Systematic Theology:

"...sanctification is a work of God; however, it is SYNERGISTIC in nature, meaning that it is also in a sense a work of man, and involves his conscious decision and effort in the process. As Paul writes:

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed – not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence – continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. (Philippians 2:12-13)

The Christian is to actively take his part in sanctification, and deliberately pursue a life of obedience to God "in fear and trembling." Nevertheless, the passage explains that even the working out of our salvation is in fact a work of God: "It is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." Our choices and actions remain under God's control after regeneration. Therefore, although a person is conscious of his efforts and struggles in sanctification, in the end God receives the honor, and the Christian still has no basis to boast of his achievements."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two posts in a row posting ignorance.
    Sanctification refers to two actions by God. (1) to set apart something or someone for His purpose
    (2) to make holy at one point in time (the washing of regeneration) or to make holy over time as in progressive sanctification.

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you're made holy before you're saved?
    How do your 4 verses teach that?
    *John 17:17*
    Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.
    *2 Thessalonians 2:13*
    But we ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the first fruits to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth.
    *1 Peter 1:1-2*
    Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who are elect exiles of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with his blood: May grace and peace be multiplied to you.
    *Hebrews 10:29*
    How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has trampled underfoot the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace?

Do you care to explain your verses?

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Statement: Sanctification must precede regeneration.
    Response: So, you're made holy before you're saved?

Here the effort to obfuscate sound doctrine is obvious.

Lets unpack this effort of harassment.

Being set apart in Christ must precede regeneration, which refers to being made alive together with Christ. (Ephesians 2:5)

And the response, So you are made holy by the washing of regeneration before you are made alive together with Christ? This question demonstrates a deliberate refusal to accept obvious truth from scripture.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sanctification(being set apart to God's use) can be looked at two ways.

1) God set apart His elect before the world began. So the elect were "sanctified" in that way back in eternity.

2) God set apart His elect through regenerating them and giving them spiritual life separate from the reprobates during their lifetime on this earth. So the elect are "sanctified" in that way in time.

The elect's holiness is in Christ. The elect do not escape from being sinners(even quite grievously) by nature, by practice, and by choice while living on this earth. Unless one of the elect has been regenerated out of a - from a human viewpoint - horrendous background(e.g., Saul being suddenly stopped from persecuting Christ's church) there may not be much difference seen - from a human viewpoint - in the elect person's life. Of course, from the inside the elect person is given a new heart and new affections where he longs and yearns for God and is grieved by the sin that he still commits.

8. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here I point out that Greek word for sanctification means" "to be set apart, to be holy."

Therefore, how is a dead in Christ person made holy and set apart before they are saved.

Please present the Bible passage(s) that teach the view that a dead person is made holy and set apart before they are saved.

9. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. Yet, our free-will brothers don't acknowledge the elect of God. They demand themselves be the electors of God rather than God electing them. Therefore, how can a dead man make themselves holy and set apart before God makes them alive and sets them apart? What Bible passages teach that?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one is dead in Christ as they are made alive in Christ, Ephesians 2:5. Titus 3:5
    Everyone transferred spiritually into Christ is saved, everyone not in Christ is unsaved. Romans 3:24

11. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never argued that a person lives in a juxtaposed world of both dead and alive, Van.
    Either we are dead in sins or we are alive with Christ.

What Bible passages teaches that those who are dead are also sanctified, holy, set apart, while they are still dead? This would have to be the case, if sanctification is before regeneration.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, we are made alive together with Christ. Thus when transferred into Christ, we are made alive, undergoing the washing of regeneration.
    Van said,
    " No one is dead in Christ as they are made alive in Christ, Ephesians 2:5. Titus 3:5
    Everyone transferred spiritually into Christ is saved, everyone not in Christ is unsaved. Romans 3:24"
    AustinC said:
    "Therefore, how is a dead in Christ person made holy and set apart before they are saved."

So now we are alive with Christ and dead in Christ at the same time. Gibberish non stop.

13. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Provide the Bible passage(s) that present this view of juxtaposition, Van. Where do you get this idea that we are both dead and alive at the same time?

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Material false statement.
    Harassment on display

No one is dead in Christ as they are made alive in Christ, Ephesians 2:5. Titus 3:5
    Everyone transferred spiritually into Christ is saved, everyone not in Christ is unsaved. Romans 3:24

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, how did I harass you with this statement and question?

"Provide the Bible passage(s) that present this view of juxtaposition, Van. Where do you get this idea that we are both dead and alive at the same time?"

Van, you sure love to play the victim.

Are you now saying that a person is not sanctified until God saves them?

16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those who refuse to understand will refuse hear > >
    Ephesians 1:12-14, ". . . who first trusted in Christ. In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. . . ."
    The word of truth is the source of God's sanctification prior to being regenerated per Jesus' teaching, per John 17:17.

17. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    37, I read and re-read these verses and I still don't see how they support your view. Would you please walk us through your process of reading these verses and then coming to the conclusion you come to. I'm just not seeing your argument in these verses.

18. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    *Ephesians 1:11-14*
    In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory.

In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.

*John 17:14-19*
    I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth.

Here are the verses.
    How does one get sanctification before salvation from these verses.
    Can someone explain how you get that idea from these verses?

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    None stop false claims are the stock and trade of the posters of ignorance. How is a person saved? They are set apart, sanctified, within Christ's spiritual body. And then they undergo the washing of regeneration, which makes them alive spiritually together with Christ, and makes them perfect, because they are now justified by His blood.

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does the phrase "dead in Christ" mean?

People who have been made alive together with Christ still physically die. Thus those who have physically died, while alive in Christ spiritually, are said to be the "dead in Christ."

However, this statement: ""Therefore, how is a dead in Christ person made holy and set apart before they are saved" cannot refer to a physically dead person. Obviously we are not put into Christ physically, so the only way this statement can be understood is: "... how is a physically dead, but spiritually alive in Christ person made holy and set apart "before" they are saved. Of course that is the exact opposite of what is biblical truth. So an actual question might be, how is a physically dead, but spiritually alive in Christ person made holy and set apart when they are saved? And the answer, stated over and over, is they are transferred into Christ's spiritual body, where they undergo the washing of regeneration,, and then they arise alive in Christ as new holy creation. Then they are sealed in Christ with the Holy Spirit as a pledge to their physical redemption at Christ's second coming.

So how is a person saved?

They are transferred into Christ's spiritual body, where they undergo the washing of regeneration,, and then they arise alive in Christ as new holy creation. Then they are sealed in Christ with the Holy Spirit as a pledge to their physical redemption at Christ's second coming.

So how is a person made spiritually alive?

They are transferred into Christ's spiritual body, where they undergo the washing of regeneration,, and then they arise alive in Christ as new holy creation. Then they are sealed in Christ with the Holy Spirit as a pledge to their physical redemption at Christ's second coming.

So how is a person made holy?