1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Bible Doctrine of Preservation

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Jul 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Hollner

Michael Hollner Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I agree, perhaps universal was not the right word, but English is used and spoken in many nations. My associate visits China often and says a lot of Chinese people speak English over there and they even have English billboards and ads.

'Have you ever visited another country and tried to get by?'

Yes, I did missionary work in Venezuela in the 80s and learned Spanish the best I could. But I needed a translator when I preached out of my NIV. After one sermon a Spanish preacher came up to me and said my preaching was 'dry.' Then when I got back to the states in 84 and off to Bible college, I ditched my NIV for a KJV. Needless to say, I have not been told since that my preaching was dry.

John, despite our disagreements, I am glad you're trying to reach the Japanese people.

Blessings

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What did God actually promise that you are referring to? God is immutable so His word is immutable.

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As the written word it claims "inspiration." . . . θεοπνευστος . . . .

4. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Changes in the King James version

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends on where in China. Hong Kong residents are all taught English (I've been there), because of all of its years under England, and most speak it. However, I do not believe that is true in the rest of China.
    Good to know. I'm glad you have a missionary's heart.

You will be glad to know that our Japanese NT from the Scrivener TR (first in Japanese history) has been competed, and is now at the printer, and my team is working on the OT (from the MT) now.

6. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not prove your claims to be true. The underlying text of the 1611 edition of the KJV has been changed to a different underlying text in some cases. 1 Corinthians 12:28 would be one example.
    The underlying text for the 1611's use of "God" at Genesis 6:5 and some other verses likely was the Latin Vulgate or an English Bible influenced by the Vulgate while later editors changed the underlying text to the Hebrew by changing it to "GOD" or to "the LORD".

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Michael Hollner

Michael Hollner Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the most positive news I have heard today. Please send me a link or info on how to buy a copy for I may not be back on here for a while.

Blessings...

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is being printed by Bearing Precious Seed at: Bearing Precious Seed. I'm not sure how they handle individual copies, but I'm sure you'll be able to get one.

9. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Since KJVO would view the kjv as being THE translation of God for and to us, would that mean majority of the world that does not speak English God will not give them a reliable version to hear and to read?

10. JesusFan

The 1611 translators were not KJVO!

11. JesusFan

He was speaking of His originals, and not any translations yet to come!

12. JesusFan

Yes, but that only applies to the Originals given to and penned down by His Apostles and prophets!

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a logical disjunct there in light of the Great Commission, which all Bible believers must acknowledge and obey. Matthew 28:18-20 demands Bible translation.

14. JesusFan

The Updates in MV are due to latest linguistic and textual evidences, but is not changing the Original language texts!

15. JesusFan

Never heard of them, but glad to see them getting out the word of God, even if they might be KJVO!

16. JesusFan

Amen! As the church is commanded to make sure that all people groups get the word of God to them in their native languages, not just in English!

17. JesusFan

Are the translations made off the hebrew and Greek texts and not 1611 kjv text valid for them to use then>

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To continue thinking about preservation and textual criticism, and to narrow it down some, the doctrine of providence says that we can and should look for God's providential guidance in textual criticism. That historical stream leads me to the Byzantine textform as being closest to God's plan of preservation. I don't have time to develop this further right now, since I'm at a meeting of Bible college faculty from a bunch of schools, but I welcome input here to help me think through it more.

19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, so you deny we have God's preserved word today. So the OT Hebrew & Aramaic and NT Greek texts as passed down are really lost. That is too bad.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My position of Byzantine priority does not mean that I agree with those who condemn original language critical texts (Alexandrian based, such as the UBS, Nestle's, etc.) as not being the Bible or being morally corrupt. The Word of God is not abrogated that easily. It is powerful and eternal (Hebrews 4:12). You can't simply leave out a word, phrase, or even a verse, and by doing so destroy the power and truth of the Word of God.

In this regard, the term "corrupt" is problematic. It was originally borrowed from secular textual criticism, and was then used to describe ms or readings in the textual criticism of the Bible. It is a technical term, not a moral term or religious term. In textual criticism it simply means a mistake in the copying. I categorically oppose the idea that any ms or translation of the Bible can be corrupt in a moral or Biblical way, though a ms or document may have copyist mistakes (ms) or translation mistakes (Bible translation). This is not just something said by KJVO people. I have a pamphlet, mentioned in my thread on books on Bible translation: M. L. Moser, Jr. The New English Bible, Satan's Polluted Translation. As poor as that translation is, it is not a product of Satan.

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.